Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to physically secure a cell phone?

I help run a homeowners' association and our clubhouse needs a phone as part of its insurance requirements (for calling 911 etc). Landline was costing $33/month and so we're considering ways to switch to a cheap pre-paid cell phone service. Or even no formal service and just rely on the cell phone's ability to reach 911 services.

The problem is: we can't figure out a way to physically secure any type of cell phone (even a cheap old/repurposed flip phone) to be tethered to the wall so that a kid can't just walk away with it. Yes, there's a security camera pointed at the wall, but we still need a physical deterrent that won't get in the way of emergency use. And, of course, it will need to be perpetually plugged into its charger, but there's an outlet nearby so that's not a problem.

Any/all ideas appreciated.

Thank you.
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 10:13:52 AM UTC-4, Ken wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Have you considered Vonage? You could have service for $15. I have no
financial interest in Vonage.

https://support.vonage.com/articles/...ing-Plans-9074

I thought of similar, eg Ooma that's VOIP for just $5 a month, but I bet
they don't have cable internet service at the club house either. But I
see a bigger issue, which is this is a bad idea. $33 a month
is ~$400 a year. Since it's a community with a clubhouse, let's assume
it's 40 units. Each unit owner's cost for the existing landline
would be be $10 a year. What's the cost
going to be in terms of insurance rates raised, time lost in endless
meetings, litigation, finger pointing in the community, if someone needs
911 and for whatever reason, the cell phone doesn't work, has been stolen,
etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 1 Jul 2020 07:07:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Easy enough. I have two good ideas.

1) Drill a hole in the cell phone, 1/4" is big enough to put a ring
through it. The bottom left corner usually has nothing important so
drill there.

2) If you don't have a desk get one. Run an extension cord from an
outlet, under the desk, up behind t he drawers and into one of the
drawers. Plug in the charger and the phone, cover the phone but not the
charger with a couple papers or plan to lock the drawer, shut the drawer
Do this when no one is there and don't tell any of the delinquents you
have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We actually have wifi there. But I shy away from VOIP because a power or internet outage (happens from time to time) means no service. That's why it was an old-fashioned landline, which usually works during a power outage. And that's why we are thinking for cellular service because it would probably still work during local internet or power outage. And it NEEDS to be easily accessible. Can't be locked away or hidden... because it's meant to be seen/found/used during an emergency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We actually have wifi there. But I shy away from VOIP because a power or internet outage (happens from time to time) means no service. That's why it was an old-fashioned landline, which usually works during a power outage. And that's why we are thinking for cellular service because it would probably still work during local internet or power outage. And it NEEDS to be easily accessible so can't be locked away or hidden... because it's meant to be seen/found/used during an emergency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:12:05 -0500, "Dogma"

[...]

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Not a bad idea.

But a compromise idea, a wall cell phone. Steel case, inside its
screwed to a stud, maybe a seat to sit on, maybe a booth for quiet.

Contact me. I know where to get funding but we need manufacturing and
marketing too. We'll get rich.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 3:06:40 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

Where was the last pay phone you saw? The 80s called and they want
you back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 07:10:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/20 9:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Is there a phone that can be super glued to its charger? Then
use something like this to keep the charger in place.
https://www.youcustomizeit.com/p/Chevron-Anchor-Cell-Phone-Ring-Stand-Holder-Personalized/212238
Try a search using some of the synonyms for anchor.
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/anchor That might help in a
following search for what you're after.
Hawk's suggestion of using a cheap phone makes sense as long as it
isn't close to obsolescence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Pay phone is a no-go. The State Department of Health obligates emergency phone on site to be a free phone with a listing of emergency numbers. I checked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thought: maybe those security tethers that they use at the electronics stores? The kind they glue to the cell phone on display so you can try it out, but can't walk away with it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , 1011001@
0010010001.com says...

wrote:
[...]

Put the cell phone in a box with a lock and give everyone a key to the
box. With almost everyone having a cell phone, you will probably never
need one anyway. If the insurance requires a phone, that should satisfy
them.

A number of years ago before cell phones became popular with most
everyone the gun club I was a member had a land line inside a
building,but put one outside in a box with a lock and everyone had a key
to the main gate that also fit the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 1 Jul 2020 18:19:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Pay phone is a no-go. The State Department of Health obligates emergency phone on site to be a free phone with a listing of emergency numbers. I checked.

My suggestion was a wall phone, not a pay phone. I'm 46% subscribed.
Sign up soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 13:10:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Pay phone is a no-go. The State Department of Health obligates emergency phone on site to be a free phone with a listing of emergency numbers. I checked.

My suggestion was a wall phone, not a pay phone. I'm 46% subscribed.
Sign up soon.

epoxy a cheap cell phone to a concrete block wall. Impossible to
remove without rendering it totally scrap. Have instructions to "use
speaker phone" so nobody has to stand with their ear to the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 11:46:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 11:32:13 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/1/2020 9:27 PM, wrote:
Another thought: maybe those security tethers that they use at the electronics stores? The kind they glue to the cell phone on display so you can try it out, but can't walk away with it?

Yeah, takes two seconds to cut the cable and walk off.

Don't be so damned cheap. Do it right and get a land line. In the long
run you will save money and have proper security. Cell phones can be
problematic with signal, batteries, theft.

I'm embarrassed for the group after reading most of these responses.
I have another question, at this community clubhouse, does it include a pool?
What exactly goes on at the clubhouse? Not that it matters, my answer stands,
but depending on the activities, it only gets much worse and stupider.

If it's in Alabama, it could be a place to host Covid-19 parties.

https://abc7ny.com/health/students-throw-covid-19-parties-bet-on-who-will-get-sick-first/6291801/
Students throw COVID-19 parties to bet on who will catch virus first

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- Officials in Tuscaloosa, Alabama say some students
are throwing parties, competing to see who can catch COVID-19 first.

According to Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKistry, party organizers
intentionally invite guests who have COVID-19. Then money is put into a
pot. Whoever catches the virus first wins the pot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Call the phone company and see if they can put in a pay phone.

Pay phone is a no-go. The State Department of Health obligates emergency phone on site to be a free phone with a listing of emergency numbers. I checked.

My suggestion was a wall phone, not a pay phone. I'm 46% subscribed.
Sign up soon.

epoxy a cheap cell phone to a concrete block wall. Impossible to
remove without rendering it totally scrap. Have instructions to "use
speaker phone" so nobody has to stand with their ear to the wall.

Also a good idea. But you're interfering with my business plan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/20 10:10 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

hows about an easy-break plastic box, like the ones often
used to cover fire alarms?* The old "in case of fire,
break glass" type?

Problem is that those who want to steal
the phone will just break that when alone.

"Break box to use emergency phone - loud annoying alarm will sound".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2020 3:56 PM, Sam E wrote:
On 7/1/20 10:10 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

hows about an easy-break plastic box, like the ones often
used to cover fire alarms?* The old "in case of fire,
break glass" type?

Problem is that those who want to steal
the phone will just break that when alone.

"Break box to use emergency phone - loud annoying alarm will sound".

Give it a week and the box will be stolen too.

So while the fire is burning, you break the glass, then wait for the
phone to boot up, hopefully is is charged and you have a signal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam E" wrote in message
On 7/1/20 10:10 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

hows about an easy-break plastic box, like the ones often
used to cover fire alarms? The old "in case of fire,
break glass" type?

Problem is that those who want to steal
the phone will just break that when alone.

"Break box to use emergency phone - loud annoying alarm will sound".

Which will **** the emergency call you want to make.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 07:17:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."