Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fence posts getting pushed up and out...

A couple of years ago we had professional installers
install what's commonly called a chain link fence
surrounding our yard 'cuz dog.

They dug holes for the posts, mixed up some cement,
pushed the posts into them, then backfilled the top
few inches with more soil.

Sure enough, the posts and their concrete bases have
been creeping up and out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this (presumably
need to re-dig) and prevent the problem from recurring?

Thanks muchly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 7:47 PM, danny burstein wrote:
A couple of years ago we had professional installers
install what's commonly called a chain link fence
surrounding our yard 'cuz dog.

They dug holes for the posts, mixed up some cement,
pushed the posts into them, then backfilled the top
few inches with more soil.

Sure enough, the posts and their concrete bases have
been creeping up and out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this (presumably
need to re-dig) and prevent the problem from recurring?

Thanks muchly.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*

You have some burly moles there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 7:47 PM, danny burstein wrote:
A couple of years ago we had professional installers
install what's commonly called a chain link fence
surrounding our yard 'cuz dog.

They dug holes for the posts, mixed up some cement,
pushed the posts into them, then backfilled the top
few inches with more soil.

Sure enough, the posts and their concrete bases have
been creeping up and out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this (presumably
need to re-dig) and prevent the problem from recurring?

Thanks muchly.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*

In what climate is the fence and how deep are the holes? Could freezing
ground be heaving the posts? Perhaps a call to whomever installed the
fence may provide some insight. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 02:47:14 +0000, danny burstein
wrote:

A couple of years ago we had professional installers
install what's commonly called a chain link fence
surrounding our yard 'cuz dog.

They dug holes for the posts, mixed up some cement,
pushed the posts into them, then backfilled the top
few inches with more soil.

Sure enough, the posts and their concrete bases have
been creeping up and out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this (presumably
need to re-dig) and prevent the problem from recurring?

Thanks muchly.

_________________________________________________ ____

It may be the opposite problem. The soil may be receding exposing the
bottom of the posts. I have had this problem, especially before I
convinced my lawn service to NOT trim the grass extremely short next
to the fence. Using weed killer along the fence line is another way to
promote erosion.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In slate_leeper writes:

[snip]
It may be the opposite problem. The soil may be receding exposing the
bottom of the posts. I have had this problem, especially before I
convinced my lawn service to NOT trim the grass extremely short next
to the fence. Using weed killer along the fence line is another way to
promote erosion.

Thanks. I gave that some serious thought but some of the
posts are close enough to the house that I could compare
the height to the walls, and yeah, it's that they're coming
up out of the ground.

And thanks to everyone for the other suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 11:17 PM, RosemontCrest wrote:
On 6/3/2020 7:47 PM, danny burstein wrote:
A couple of years ago we had professional installers
install what's commonly called a chain link fence
surrounding our yard 'cuz dog.

They dug holes for the posts, mixed up some cement,
pushed the posts into them, then backfilled the top
few inches with more soil.

Sure enough, the posts and their concrete bases have
been creeping up and out.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this (presumably
need to re-dig) and prevent the problem from recurring?

Thanks muchly.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*

In what climate is the fence and how deep are the holes? Could freezing
ground be heaving the posts? Perhaps a call to whomever installed the
fence may provide some insight. Good luck.

Also sounds most likely to me.

I did not have this problem with my old deck as described last year but
new code required setting concrete post supports three feet below ground
because of frost line.

I just found this on decks:

https://www.decks.com/how-to/264/dec...rost-depth-map

and assume it could apply to op's problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

________________________________________________ _____

It may be the opposite problem. The soil may be receding exposing the
bottom of the posts. I have had this problem, especially before I
convinced my lawn service to NOT trim the grass extremely short next
to the fence. Using weed killer along the fence line is another way to
promote erosion.

-dan z-

Don't say where you are or how cold it gets - or how deep they dug.
Generally that happens when frost in poorly drained soil gets under a
post that is not burried deep enough or the frost catches the side of
the post and lifts it. Around here it is common to use SonoTube as a
form and to bury the post 4 feet deep. Sometimes a "cone" footing is
used to help keep the post from coming up as well. Even with ALL the
precautions, it is almost inevitable that a post or two will STILL
"float" to the surface eventually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Thanks again to everyone who wrote.

We're in a residential neighborhood in flyover country, with
the temperatures about five degrees, on average, colder than,
oh say, Chicago.

So yeah, lots of freezing.

The company that did the initial installation
has been around for a couple of decades, so
I'd have thought they knew about this issue...

Fortunately, we've still got another year or five
before we "have" to address the problem.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2020 2:48 PM, danny burstein wrote:
[snip]

Thanks again to everyone who wrote.

We're in a residential neighborhood in flyover country, with
the temperatures about five degrees, on average, colder than,
oh say, Chicago.

So yeah, lots of freezing.

The company that did the initial installation
has been around for a couple of decades, so
I'd have thought they knew about this issue...

Fortunately, we've still got another year or five
before we "have" to address the problem.

The other possibility is heavy clay soils with wet/dry cycles will act
about the same as frost heave as they also expand when rewetted after
drying out.

If the digging concentrated clay in some of the holes relative to others
could explain differences between various post locations...or areas that
were disturbed during house construction might have more clay brought up
to the top levels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In dpb writes:

The other possibility is heavy clay soils with wet/dry cycles will act
about the same as frost heave as they also expand when rewetted after
drying out.

If the digging concentrated clay in some of the holes relative to others
could explain differences between various post locations...or areas that
were disturbed during house construction might have more clay brought up
to the top levels.

Ahhhh, that's probably it. The "soil" here is just a couple of
inches, sometimes less... of dirt and right below it is clay.

Causes all sorts of grief for plants and trees..

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair