Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace fence posts without disturbing fence

I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one and
not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which are quite
badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to replace the
rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?

Thanks.

--
Paul Giverin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/18/2016 7:27 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:46:00 +0000, Paul Giverin
wrote:

I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one and
not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which are quite
badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to replace the
rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?

Thanks.

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

I agree that this is an easy repair method, if you don't mind the
appearance.

But if the OP wants to *replace* we need more details of the
construction, and also to ask how old it was, and whether alternative
precautions are necessary to extend the life in future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one
and not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which
are quite badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to
replace the rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of
the fence?

Thanks.

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

Not sure the Op would want concrete posts showing, otherwise he'd have gone
for a concrete post and panel fence. These are OK if you've got access to
both sides and you can hide them on the side not in view, not sure a
neighbour would appreciate an odd post here and there on their side if it's
a 'party' fence.

To the OP:

What reason is there that the panels can't be removed prior to new posts
being installed and the old panels going back in? - digging a 2ft hole in a
100mm space is a tall order, maybe the 'flapping panels could be pushed back
or forwards slightly to give more digging room and not removed completely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 19:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

Until you find that the wooden posts have been bedded in with a barrow
load of concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 18:46, Paul Giverin wrote:
I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one and
not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which are quite
badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to replace the
rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?

Thanks.

I put new posts midway between the old ones, and left the old ones in
place. I intended to remove them but couldn't really see the point when
it came to it. I would have had to join the rails where the old posts
had been.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 20:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 20:18:34 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 18/11/2016 19:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

Until you find that the wooden posts have been bedded in with a barrow
load of concrete.

Then he will need one of these
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Carbo...500mm/p/167422

Even then it can be hard work (DAMHIK)

ANdy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 19:44, Phil L wrote:

To the OP:

What reason is there that the panels can't be removed prior to new posts
being installed and the old panels going back in? - digging a 2ft hole in a
100mm space is a tall order, maybe the 'flapping panels could be pushed back
or forwards slightly to give more digging room and not removed completely?

As I said originally, its not a panel fence. Its a continuous fence just
like the one shown he-
http://www.fangornlandscapes.co.uk/images/fence3.jpg

Its about 18 years old. Everything else is fine, just the posts.

--

Paul Giverin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:

As I said originally, its not a panel fence. Its a continuous fence just
like the one shown he-
http://www.fangornlandscapes.co.uk/images/fence3.jpg

With similar metal arris rail brackets?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Paul Giverin
writes
On 18/11/2016 19:44, Phil L wrote:

To the OP:

What reason is there that the panels can't be removed prior to new posts
being installed and the old panels going back in? - digging a 2ft hole in a
100mm space is a tall order, maybe the 'flapping panels could be pushed back
or forwards slightly to give more digging room and not removed completely?

As I said originally, its not a panel fence. Its a continuous fence
just like the one shown he-
http://www.fangornlandscapes.co.uk/images/fence3.jpg

Its about 18 years old. Everything else is fine, just the posts.

I think your first move must be to establish whether the rotted posts
are bedded in concrete.

If not, or it can be easily broken up, the video method works well. I
would use a *shoveholer* to dig a narrow hole. Also postcrete is an
expensive solution when cement slurry and some coarse rubble fill will
do the same job.

Bill's intermediate posts could be made wider than the existing with
recesses cut to take the arris rails. If you plan to stay long I would
stick with the concrete stubs, perhaps set to the side, and stand the
new timber in your favourite wood preserver for a few minutes.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Job for an illusionist by the sound of it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
news
I've got a six foot high wooden fence..... a proper constructed one and
not a fence panel one. Its got 4"x"4" posts, several of which are quite
badly rotten just below the surface. How easy is it to replace the rotten
posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?

Thanks.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 18:46, Paul Giverin wrote:
How easy is it to replace the rotten posts in isolation without disturbing the rest of the fence?

It's not.

Saw the ends off the arris rails up against the rotten posts, lift out
the panel, replace the posts (as others have said, this is easy or hard
depending on how much concrete there is), replace the posts (don't
bother making the mortices), refit the panel using these brackets
http://www.screwfix.com/p/arris-rail...-10-pack/48243 to
attach the ends of the arris rails.
If there's too much concrete around the old post bases then divide a
two-bay run into a three-bay run so you can put the new posts somewhere
easy.
However you decide to tackle it, I would use concrete spurs and bolt the
new (or, possibly, old) posts to them so they won't rot again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 12:45, wrote:
On 18/11/2016 18:46, Paul Giverin wrote:
How easy is it to replace the rotten posts in isolation without
disturbing the rest of the fence?

It's not.

Saw the ends off the arris rails up against the rotten posts, lift out
the panel, replace the posts (as others have said, this is easy or hard
depending on how much concrete there is), replace the posts (don't
bother making the mortices), refit the panel using these brackets
http://www.screwfix.com/p/arris-rail...-10-pack/48243 to
attach the ends of the arris rails.
If there's too much concrete around the old post bases then divide a
two-bay run into a three-bay run so you can put the new posts somewhere
easy.

Ooops, forgot to point out the b obvious that you'll need some new arris
for one run and to transfer the feather edge.
However you decide to tackle it, I would use concrete spurs and bolt the
new (or, possibly, old) posts to them so they won't rot again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

On 18/11/2016 19:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

Until you find that the wooden posts have been bedded in with a barrow
load of concrete.

Then he will need one of these
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Carbo...500mm/p/167422

Even then it can be hard work (DAMHIK)

Wouldn't it be a lot easier with an SDS drill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 18/11/2016 19:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

Easy enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH8m24YqG24

Until you find that the wooden posts have been bedded in with a barrow
load of concrete.

I did several like that except with the bigger spur posts you can get.

You use a big SDS drill to break the concrete on one side, dig out the
rotten post from the remaining concrete fill the resulting channel and
drop the spur in, bolt it up and fill in the rest of the hole.
It doesn't need to a continuous ring of new concrete as it requires
virtually no tensile strength.

Fence Co leaving gaps in fence because posts are smaller [email protected] Home Repair 18 September 18th 16 02:01 AM
Gate posts, fence posts & rotting gareth UK diy 40 May 21st 15 08:09 AM
Fence Posts Chris Crinkle UK diy 7 March 10th 14 12:19 PM
Fence Posts Gordon1111 UK diy 16 August 7th 12 01:14 PM
Fence posts again (sorry) PeterC UK diy 17 March 28th 12 11:27 PM