Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Replace fence posts without disturbing fence

In message , Paul Giverin
writes
On 18/11/2016 19:44, Phil L wrote:

To the OP:

What reason is there that the panels can't be removed prior to new posts
being installed and the old panels going back in? - digging a 2ft hole in a
100mm space is a tall order, maybe the 'flapping panels could be pushed back
or forwards slightly to give more digging room and not removed completely?

As I said originally, its not a panel fence. Its a continuous fence
just like the one shown he-
http://www.fangornlandscapes.co.uk/images/fence3.jpg

Its about 18 years old. Everything else is fine, just the posts.

I think your first move must be to establish whether the rotted posts
are bedded in concrete.

If not, or it can be easily broken up, the video method works well. I
would use a *shoveholer* to dig a narrow hole. Also postcrete is an
expensive solution when cement slurry and some coarse rubble fill will
do the same job.

Bill's intermediate posts could be made wider than the existing with
recesses cut to take the arris rails. If you plan to stay long I would
stick with the concrete stubs, perhaps set to the side, and stand the
new timber in your favourite wood preserver for a few minutes.

--
Tim Lamb