amby

Default OT Who reads this forum?

DIY homeowner. Just trying to to do it better for less and do it
smarter.

amby

Johnson wrote:
Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory

Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

bitzah

~
~
~
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:38:32 -0500, Jim Wynne
wrote:

bitzah wrote:

snip

That, and the witnessing of two fatal electrocutions (plus
subsequent Court appearances) leaves me somewhat of a Safety
Nutter.

snip

Is there sucha thing as a non-fatal electrocution in Australia?

..........so,, from where you sit I cannot claim 'linguist'
amongst my skills ? ;-/
Ever thought of changing chairs?
(non-electric of course) :-

*Any* contact with *any* 'hot' wire/apparatus that results
in *any* degree of 'electric shock' (electrocution) is
required to be reported to 'authorities' in this country.
The same goes for STD's :-

There is a rather well known case of a young girl (.au) who
,taking a drink from a tap in the backyard, received an
electric shock and subsequently passed into a coma. She sort
of revived into a state of semi-awareness and lived for some
seven or eight years.

I guess that if you wanted to play with the words you could
nominate that incident as a "non-fatal electrocution".

To keep on topic,, the core factor that began Nikkys trip to
Hell was the ambition of her Father to steal electricity.
In doing so he broke the MEN connection in the switchboard
(unknowingly), a subsequent repair to an appliance that was
re-connected without TESTING caused the steel water
reticulation pipes to become 'hot'.

In the training process we learn the intricacies of TESTING
long before we learn How2 'fix' anything.

My response Jim assumes you have little knowledge of the
application of emoticons. I was tempted to treat your
response as TIC, however the platform presented itself so I
used it., thankyou :-)

BTZ

chuck yerkes

Red Neckerson wrote:
"Jarkat2002" wrote

~Kat

"help is on the way"
~John Kerry

I admire your attempt of being a stay at home mom, but if you are waiting
for John Kerry to help you, may God help you........

I got the time to do a lot of work on the house when that pesky job
disappeared thanks to a formerly booming economy and a country with a
suplus turning into a country with booms for the rich and surpluses for
the rich.

Just wish George's pals would bail out every venture *I* tried. My
don't always fail like his did, so they'd save money.

(this week I get to document my job for ISO-9000 work while management
talks to outsourcing companies. My hindi and chinese are rusty, though.)

Can we have our million jobs back?

chuck
---
http://www.BillionairesForBush.com/
Tax work, not wealth!
Leave no billionaire behind!
John Grabowski

WOW. That's a strong case for the bonding of all interior metal piping as
required by the National Electrical Code. If those pipes had been grounded
properly, that girl may still be alive today (Assuming her father didn't
create any other hazards around the house).

Thanks for the reality check.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"bitzah" wrote in message
~
~
~
wrote:

bitzah wrote:

[...]

Jennifer

"Johnson" wrote in message ...
Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Full time web usability engineer, part time DIY addict, female,
married to another DIY addict, east coast USA. Mostly lurker,
sometime poster, have learned a ton from this group over the years.

We're gradually in the process of converting our house from the cheap
and tacky pink-and-purple wallpapered mess it was when we first bought
it into "casual elegance". Three rooms down, way too many to go.

Last weekend: Refinished the deck

--
Jennifer

ILYNat

Early 40's Senior Security Engineer working with federal counterterrorism
efforts. On my third house, just being built - it'll be ready in October.
I'm good at working with my hands but know that I don't know everything
so I come here to browse and ask an occasional question.

"Johnson" wrote in message ...
Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Bill

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:49:35 GMT, "Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

twenty five years selling industrial tools, pipe, valves and fittings
and gas station construction...plus thirty years of do-it-yourself
projects around the house...

Bill

SteveB

"Bill" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:49:35 GMT, "Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Currently a forklift operator, and rigger in the convention industry in Las
Vegas. Got a pin and watch yesterday for 37 years in the Teamsters with 20+
service years.

In my life, interspersed with being a Teamster .........

commercial diver
underwater welder
x-ray certified welder
steel erection contractor
awning and ornamental manufacturer
crane operator on offshore drilling platforms
bar owner
jack of all trades, master of none, King of the Honeydos

Steve

Julie

"Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory
Worker? Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Neuroscientist (hey, you asked), new homeowner with lots to learn, and
eternally grateful for all the experienced & professional folk who hang
here.

JSH

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

SteveB wrote:
In my life, interspersed with being a Teamster .........

Currently a registered nurse working on a med-surg unit in a county hospital.

I have been:

Hospital orderly
Factory worker (made oil filters for Wix)
US goverment census taker
Dive shop operator/ scuba instructor
Repo man
Construction worker
Commercial pilot

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Bonnie

a pathologists' assistant....
also new home owner and single, so DIY advise is welcome

chuck yerkes

Julie wrote:

"Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory
Worker? Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Neuroscientist (hey, you asked), new homeowner with lots to learn, and
eternally grateful for all the experienced & professional folk who hang
here.

Well, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to fix up a house...

but you're close enough.
Terry

"chuck yerkes" wrote in message
Julie wrote:

"Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory
Worker? Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Neuroscientist (hey, you asked), new homeowner with lots to learn, and
eternally grateful for all the experienced & professional folk who hang
here.

Well, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to fix up a house...

but you're close enough.

No rocket scientists yet?

Retired after 40+ years in telecomm industry all levels from technician to
regional/departmental sales manager. Then ran family business for 12 years.
Self and two carpenters built our two family homes since 1960. Self taught
carpenter, capable electrically and plumbing wise, including septic tanks
and shallow well pumps.
Now age 70 do all current home repairs/renovations; today on a ladder
scraping eaves of house prior to repainting, then it rained. Tonight I'm
fixing the dishwasher; lying on the kitchen floor, it looks like a faulty
'overfill float' microswitch in series with the water flow solenoid.
Competent and slow enough in most trades but smart enough to know when to
get help. Good at utilizing used materials.
Finally closed family business last year; time to redecorate and update
home. Hobby is electronic repairs which translates nicely to keeping
appliances working as long as possible e.g. our Sears dryer is 43 years old.
Drying clothes right now.
Fixing anything yourself is a challenge and fun and a heck of a lot cheaper
than buying new stuff!.
By the way anyone expert with low slope built up pitch and gravel roofs? Our
roof is now 34 years old not giving any trouble but should be checked; I'm
getting advice ranging from "Rip it all off and start again" to "If it's not
broken don't fix it"!
Terry.