Terry

"chuck yerkes" wrote in message
news:LLSTc.18009$TI1.10730@attbi_s52...
Julie wrote:

"Johnson" wrote:

Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory
Worker? Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

Neuroscientist (hey, you asked), new homeowner with lots to learn, and
eternally grateful for all the experienced & professional folk who hang
here.

Well, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to fix up a house...

but you're close enough.

No rocket scientists yet?

Retired after 40+ years in telecomm industry all levels from technician to
regional/departmental sales manager. Then ran family business for 12 years.
Self and two carpenters built our two family homes since 1960. Self taught
carpenter, capable electrically and plumbing wise, including septic tanks
and shallow well pumps.
Now age 70 do all current home repairs/renovations; today on a ladder
scraping eaves of house prior to repainting, then it rained. Tonight I'm
fixing the dishwasher; lying on the kitchen floor, it looks like a faulty
'overfill float' microswitch in series with the water flow solenoid.
Competent and slow enough in most trades but smart enough to know when to
get help. Good at utilizing used materials.
Finally closed family business last year; time to redecorate and update
home. Hobby is electronic repairs which translates nicely to keeping
appliances working as long as possible e.g. our Sears dryer is 43 years old.
Drying clothes right now.
Fixing anything yourself is a challenge and fun and a heck of a lot cheaper
than buying new stuff!.
By the way anyone expert with low slope built up pitch and gravel roofs? Our
roof is now 34 years old not giving any trouble but should be checked; I'm
getting advice ranging from "Rip it all off and start again" to "If it's not
broken don't fix it"!
Terry.