Old May 14th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default How to keep sound on when backing up.

The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.

If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
ridiculous.

The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
Honda.

This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
drove didn't do that.

If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
matter.

Old May 14th 19, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

My car just reduces the sound, not turn it off. You probably have to
program the computer to change it, not user options for it. Many cars
now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.
Old May 14th 19, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

[...]

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.
Old May 14th 19, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

[...]

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than
music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the
person says.

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

Don't be silly.

Old May 14th 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:03:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[...]

That would probably be okay.

You probably have to
program the computer to change it, not user options for it.

I found the owners manual. It 's 600 pages!

It's a Honda Jazz, which is supposed to be the same a Fit.

Earlier, I tried to set the time, which was an hour off, an hour, 3
years and one month. I found "Time" but not how to set it. Then
connected the phone with bluetooth and the time became correct. Later
it was wrong again.

Many cars
now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.

I'm glad I learned about this on a rental car. I will remember to play
the radio while test-driving any car I buy in the future. I've only had
the car for a week and it's really annoying.

Why not ban the radio when going forward too! People spend a lot more
time going forward.

My 2000 Toyota solara convertible wouldn't let me put the top up or down
when the car was going more than about 3 mph. But I found the wire
from the body computer to the to the top relay and cut it. Same with
2005 Solara. I've had a power top that I could raise or lower when
moving for 50 years. But in any car I could buy, I don't think muting
the radio will be controlled by a wire I can cut.

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

Old May 14th 19, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you can live without all of that "back up" technology you paid for,
cut the wire that tells the ECU you are in reverse or put a switch on
it. Obviously the dash display is taken over by the back up camera and
they hijack the sound system for the warning beeper.
Old May 14th 19, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...w-us-vehicles/

Old May 14th 19, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't be so quick to do that. These systems interact, check themselves
and you might wind up with error msgs or something unexpected. And while
maybe they did it to use the sound system, I think it's more likely they
don't want noise and distraction to try to reduce backing up into things or people. If you have the radio blaring and Johnny is yelling, STOP, you
won't hear it.

Old May 14th 19, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2019 3:55 PM, micky wrote:

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view
out the back. I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and
gives the back, of course, but also a surround view. Some cars to have
crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.
Old May 14th 19, 09:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

If you can live without all of that "back up" technology you paid for,
cut the wire that tells the ECU you are in reverse or put a switch on
it. Obviously the dash display is taken over by the back up camera and
they hijack the sound system for the warning beeper.

I wouldn't be so quick to do that. These systems interact, check themselves
and you might wind up with error msgs or something unexpected. And while
maybe they did it to use the sound system, I think it's more likely they
don't want noise and distraction to try to reduce backing up into things or people.
If you have the radio blaring and Johnny is yelling, STOP, you
won't hear it.

If he doesn't care about accidently raising the Solara convertible
top when travelling down the expessway - I doubt that he cares
about Johnny's incessant screaming ! ... it's Micky, after all
... :-)
John T.