Old May 14th 19, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to keep sound on when backing up.

posted for all of us...

On Tue, 14 May 2019 22:44:05 +0300, micky
wrote:

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.

If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
ridiculous.

The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
Honda.

This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
drove didn't do that.

If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
matter.

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than
music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the
person says.

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

Don't be silly.

If you can live without all of that "back up" technology you paid for,
cut the wire that tells the ECU you are in reverse or put a switch on
it. Obviously the dash display is taken over by the back up camera and
they hijack the sound system for the warning beeper.

I would not recommend this. The money light will come on.

--
Tekkie

Old May 14th 19, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 4:46:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:

If you can live without all of that "back up" technology you paid for,
cut the wire that tells the ECU you are in reverse or put a switch on
it. Obviously the dash display is taken over by the back up camera and
they hijack the sound system for the warning beeper.

I wouldn't be so quick to do that. These systems interact, check themselves
and you might wind up with error msgs or something unexpected. And while
maybe they did it to use the sound system, I think it's more likely they
don't want noise and distraction to try to reduce backing up into things or people.
If you have the radio blaring and Johnny is yelling, STOP, you
won't hear it.

If he doesn't care about accidently raising the Solara convertible
top when travelling down the expessway - I doubt that he cares
about Johnny's incessant screaming ! ... it's Micky, after all
.. :-)
John T.

I didn't get that at all. It sounded like he purposely disabled the
interlock so that they top would go up even with the car moving?
I see your point.

Old May 14th 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote
micky wrote

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids who have been
run over like that. I actually know one person who managed to do that.

Most cars have a terrible view out the back.

Yeah, even when just backing an empty trailer that you can't actually see.

I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and gives the back, of
course, but also a surround view.

Surprisingly few have a completely integrated set of cameras
that automatically show you the front and back corner of the
car that is closest to something when parking etc.

And which operate as 360 degree dashcams when driving
and 360 degree surveillance cameras when parked etc.

Some cars to have crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that
good.

Old May 14th 19, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2019 4:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/14/2019 3:55 PM, micky wrote:

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view
out the back.* I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and
gives the back, of course, but also a surround view.** Some cars to have
crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.

I have one and also an Eye Sight system which apparently has front and
rear emergency braking. Couple of weeks ago backing up in the Walmart
parking lot a woman darted in back of my car and a beep went off and car
appeared to slow down. It was disconcerting because my wife just
happened to call me at the time and the cell phone Blue Toothed to the
car also rang.

Using my separate GPS in the car for the first time, the radio stopped.
I don't know how it knew that the GPS was there but I found that the
radio had just turned itself way down and I probably could have used it
with the GPS on.

Sometimes you can tinker with the cars options to get the behavior that
you want.
Old May 15th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 08:13:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Darn, you senile Ozzie cretin HAD to **** also in this thread! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Old May 15th 19, 03:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Mikey is like Trump - he manufactures a crisis on a regular basis.
Old May 15th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

LMAO! You're concerned about 20 second segment you "may" miss due to
backing up a car which I'm sure isn't often and you call me silly. LMAO!
That's funny.
Old May 15th 19, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Rod Speed wrote:

micky wrote:
According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have
cut by only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of
times someone backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids
who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who
managed to do that.

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically
reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would
most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".