Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install fence over a step-up in perimeter wall?

Hi,
I'm planning to install vinyl fence in my backyard.
Something like this type:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...4878,1251,6178

I've already installed metal posts at 8ft on center, embedded into my concrete wall. I will slip a vinyl post over each post, trim height of metal post as needed, and probably fill the annular space with concrete. But, at one panel, I will need to step up because the concrete wall steps up. Photo shows it he

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5izmSkwQMg445cUA7

How do people usually deal with this? Is there a way to modify the fence panel? Maybe install an ADDITIONAL lower horizontal rail, and raise this rail up while trimming the bottom of the vertical slats, all to accommodate the step-up ?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning to install vinyl fence in my backyard.
Something like this type:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...4878,1251,6178

I've already installed metal posts at 8ft on center, embedded into my
concrete wall. I will slip a vinyl post over each post, trim height of
metal post as needed, and probably fill the annular space with concrete.
But, at one panel, I will need to step up because the concrete wall steps
up. Photo shows it he

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5izmSkwQMg445cUA7

How do people usually deal with this?

The usual way is to have a separate panel at each
of the two levels and to have a post between them.

Is there a way to modify the fence panel?

Not that looks very good.

Maybe install an ADDITIONAL lower horizontal rail, and raise this rail up
while
trimming the bottom of the vertical slats, all to accommodate the step-up
?

Problem with that approach is that there is nothing to
attach the two ends of the bottom rails to at the step.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/19 7:53 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,
I'm planning to install vinyl fence in my backyard.
Something like this type:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...4878,1251,6178

I've already installed metal posts at 8ft on center, embedded into my
concrete wall.Â* I will slip a vinyl post over each post, trim height
of metal post as needed, and probably fill the annular space with
concrete. But, at one panel, I will need to step up because the
concrete wall steps up.Â* Photo shows it he

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5izmSkwQMg445cUA7

How do people usually deal with this?

The usual way is to have a separate panel at each
of the two levels and to have a post between them.

That would probably look best. Maybe add another rail at
the top at an angle from one level to the next? Form a triangle?
Make it unique. A circle, octagon or something else added
to the bottom fence at the junction?
Is there a way to modify the fence panel?

Not that looks very good.

Maybe install an ADDITIONAL lower horizontal rail, and raise this rail
up while
trimming the bottom of the vertical slats, all to accommodate the
step-up ?

Problem with that approach is that there is nothing to
attach the two ends of the bottom rails to at the step.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The usual way is to have a separate panel at each
of the two levels and to have a post between them.

Hmm, I can't add a new post at this point anymore. Concrete wall is solid/filled.

Is there a way to modify the fence panel?

Not that looks very good.

Is there any way to add a new horizontal support? Something like this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N7tcDehgkqsXGCi47
such that the middle support would hold the bottom (because the bottom would not be attached on the left at the step-up).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/19 9:17 PM, wrote:

Is there any way to add a new horizontal support? Something like this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N7tcDehgkqsXGCi47
such that the middle support would hold the bottom (because the bottom would not be attached on the left at the step-up).

That looks like it could work, IF the vertical slats can be pulled loose
of the horizontal beams so the one beam can be moved up, and the short
beam added.

Re the loose left lower beam end, maybe anchor-bolt a piece of 1x4 to
the end of the concrete block, and screw a Slidelock bracket to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 10:53:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

How do people usually deal with this?

The usual way is to have a separate panel at each
of the two levels and to have a post between them.

You'd better worry about how many people would like to deal with you by
applying a heavy post to your dense senile head, senile Rot!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/19 7:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Unless you want your fence to look like ****, lay more concrete blocks to make the entire bottom of the fence level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 18:17:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N7tcDehgkqsXGCi47

I cannot help you right now.

Make the horizontal across the distance (run a level string) Verticals
get long or short to the bottom as needed.

Are keeping bears out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I came up with a reasonably easy solution per this sketch:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b39g3QRzR78yHutW6

I would add a surface-mounted at the lower level of the step, and this section of panel will be only 4ft+/- on either side instead of the 8ft panels.

The alternative of modifying each panel would be somewhat time-consuming and might not end up looking nice.

Thanks to all for the detailed advice and suggestions.
Please keep alt.home.repair positive, polite, and helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I came up with two a reasonably easy solutions.

1. per this sketch:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b39g3QRzR78yHutW6

I would add a surface-mounted at the lower level of the step, and this section of panel will be only 4ft+/- on either side instead of the 8ft panels.

The alternative of modifying each panel would be somewhat time-consuming and might not end up looking nice.

2. Add 2-3 more concrete blocks to make the step occur much closer to the pole on the right.

Thanks to all for the detailed advice and suggestions.
Please keep alt.home.repair positive, polite, and helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 6:27:11 AM UTC-4, Marius Josipovic wrote:
On 4/7/19 7:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

CAn;t see what happens over to the right, how it ends, etc, but if
possible, I agree, make the wall level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I think I came up with a reasonably easy solution per this sketch:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b39g3QRzR78yHutW6

Yep, thats the best way.

I would add a surface-mounted at the lower level of the step, and this
section of panel will be only 4ft+/- on either side instead of the 8ft
panels.

The alternative of modifying each panel would be somewhat
time-consuming and might not end up looking nice.

Yep, it would look worse IMO.

The other approach of extending the top layer of blocks
right along would work too but would be a lot more work.

Thanks to all for the detailed advice and suggestions.
Please keep alt.home.repair positive, polite, and helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 10:39:28 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yep,

Hahahahahaaa!!!

Yep,

Hahahahahahaaa!!!

Are you sick or what, you hilarious auto-contradicting senile asshole?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."