Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodstove hinge pin graphite

Ive got about an ounce of Mr Zip extra fine dry graphite in a squeeze
bottle that might last the rest of my life, but it's messy. Even masking
tape on the bottom of the hinge doesn't stop it from migrating during
application.

Noticed art supply graphite crayons that might be easier to apply. Would
they be good candidates for hinge lubrication?

EG:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A77GAHG82Q86A5

https://www.michaels.com/woodless-gr...rayon&start=14

https://www.joann.com/graphite-art-s...crayon&start=1

Next time I try this I may just wet some of the powder to spread with a
flux brush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 12:47:34 PM UTC-5, Stumpy wrote:
Ive got about an ounce of Mr Zip extra fine dry graphite in a squeeze
bottle that might last the rest of my life, but it's messy. Even masking
tape on the bottom of the hinge doesn't stop it from migrating during
application.

Noticed art supply graphite crayons that might be easier to apply. Would
they be good candidates for hinge lubrication?

EG:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A77GAHG82Q86A5

https://www.michaels.com/woodless-gr...rayon&start=14

https://www.joann.com/graphite-art-s...crayon&start=1

Next time I try this I may just wet some of the powder to spread with a
flux brush.

How about some high temp, auto type grease instead? They have brake grease
in small one use packets, for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 12:47:34 PM UTC-5, Stumpy wrote:
I?ve got about an ounce of Mr Zip extra fine dry graphite in a squeeze
bottle that might last the rest of my life, but it's messy. Even masking
tape on the bottom of the hinge doesn't stop it from migrating during
application.

Noticed art supply graphite crayons that might be easier to apply. Would
they be good candidates for hinge lubrication?

EG:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A77GAHG82Q86A5

https://www.michaels.com/woodless-gr...rayon&start=14

https://www.joann.com/graphite-art-s...crayon&start=1

Next time I try this I may just wet some of the powder to spread with a
flux brush.

How about some high temp, auto type grease instead? They have brake grease
in small one use packets, for example.

That was my thought: Permatex Extreme Ceramic Brake Caliper Grease

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/19 10:58 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
trader_4 posted for all of us...

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 12:47:34 PM UTC-5, Stumpy wrote:
I?ve got about an ounce of Mr Zip extra fine dry graphite in a squeeze
bottle that might last the rest of my life, but it's messy. Even masking
tape on the bottom of the hinge doesn't stop it from migrating during
application.

Noticed art supply graphite crayons that might be easier to apply. Would
they be good candidates for hinge lubrication?

How about some high temp, auto type grease instead? They have brake grease
in small one use packets, for example.

That was my thought: Permatex Extreme Ceramic Brake Caliper Grease

Looks like good stuff. High temp grease grease is usually 2 part
compound where the grease component evaporates at 350 deg. and leaves
graphite behind to continue lubricating. I'm not familiar with caliper
grease and Permatex keeps their proprietary info obscure. I know that
the door gets over 350 deg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 2:21:50 PM UTC-5, Stumpy wrote:
[...]

They sell brake grease in small matchbook size packets at auto parts
stores counters for ~$1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 11:21:41 -0800, Stumpy
wrote:

[...]

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/26/2019 10:47 AM, Stumpy wrote:
Ive got about an ounce of Mr Zip extra fine dry graphite in a squeeze
bottle that might last the rest of my life, but it's messy. Even masking
tape on the bottom of the hinge doesn't stop it from migrating during
application.

Noticed art supply graphite crayons that might be easier to apply. Would
they be good candidates for hinge lubrication?

EG:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A77GAHG82Q86A5

https://www.michaels.com/woodless-gr...rayon&start=14

https://www.joann.com/graphite-art-s...crayon&start=1

Next time I try this I may just wet some of the powder to spread with a
flux brush.

I don't know about lubrication but how does an art store graphite crayon
differ from a standard #1 'lead' pencil?

Come to think of it, I did use pencil graphite to lubricate the slide on
my slide rule back in the day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 10:58 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
trader_4 posted for all of us...

Looks like good stuff. High temp grease grease is usually 2 part
compound where the grease component evaporates at 350 deg. and leaves
graphite behind to continue lubricating. I'm not familiar with caliper
grease and Permatex keeps their proprietary info obscure. I know that
the door gets over 350 deg.

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/19 12:12 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/26/2019 10:47 AM, Stumpy wrote:

I don't know about lubrication but how does an art store graphite crayon
differ from a standard #1 'lead' pencil?

Come to think of it, I did use pencil graphite to lubricate the slide on
my slide rule back in the day.

Regular pencils use clay mixed in the graphite to harden them. I assume
the crayons will be more pure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 13:59:00 -0800, Stumpy
wrote:

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.

I bet your door only "squeals" for a moment when you closed or opened
the door. It would no bother me enough to lube a hinge pin. We are
talking about a cast iron unit, right?

Have you tried bacon fat on the pin, if it bothers you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 10:58 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
trader_4 posted for all of us...

Looks like good stuff. High temp grease grease is usually 2 part
compound where the grease component evaporates at 350 deg. and leaves
graphite behind to continue lubricating. I'm not familiar with caliper
grease and Permatex keeps their proprietary info obscure. I know that
the door gets over 350 deg.

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.

Just lousy design. Mine never did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:35:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.

Just lousy design. Mine never did.

YOU squeal every day about matters that are none of yours, you piece of
senile Ozzie ****!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/26/2019 03:02 PM, Stumpy wrote:
Regular pencils use clay mixed in the graphite to harden them. I assume
the crayons will be more pure.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...age=1&sort=asc

That ought to thoroughly confuse the issue... They don't really say but
the way I read it is the difference between a 4B pencil and crayon is
more like a common pencil and a carpenter's pencil where one has a
larger core.

It's worth the experiment if you have a Michaels or similar store
nearby. Even easier, do you have any stove black (polish)? That's mostly
graphite with a little wax to hold it together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.

I bet your door only "squeals" for a moment when you closed or opened
the door. It would no bother me enough to lube a hinge pin. We are
talking about a cast iron unit, right?

Have you tried bacon fat on the pin, if it bothers you?

Makes enough noise to wake up GF, bothers me enough. Yes, door is cast
it's a Lopi 1250. Bacon would probably only last one fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/19 5:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/26/2019 03:02 PM, Stumpy wrote:
Regular pencils use clay mixed in the graphite to harden them. I assume
the crayons will be more pure.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...age=1&sort=asc

That ought to thoroughly confuse the issue...Â* They don't really say but
the way I read it is the difference between a 4B pencil and crayon is
more like a common pencil and a carpenter's pencil where one has a
larger core.

It's worth the experiment if you have a Michaels or similar store
nearby. Even easier, do you have any stove black (polish)? That's mostly
graphite with a little wax to hold it together.

There's a Michaels and a Joanns within 45 miles. I'll look at the
woodless graphite and the sticks next time I'm in town. 2B crayons are
the softest - so probably have the most graphite.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...nPitt2B/129902

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/19 10:22 AM, Stumpy wrote:
On 1/26/19 5:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/26/2019 03:02 PM, Stumpy wrote:
Regular pencils use clay mixed in the graphite to harden them. I assume
the crayons will be more pure.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...age=1&sort=asc

That ought to thoroughly confuse the issue...Â* They don't really say but the way I read it is the difference between a 4B pencil and crayon is more like a common pencil and a carpenter's pencil where one has a larger core.

It's worth the experiment if you have a Michaels or similar store nearby. Even easier, do you have any stove black (polish)? That's mostly graphite with a little wax to hold it together.

There's a Michaels and a Joanns within 45 miles. I'll look at the woodless graphite and the sticks next time I'm in town. 2B crayons are the softest - so probably have the most graphite.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...nPitt2B/129902

Would Colonel Edmund J. Burke use crayons? Hell no, you girlie-men put away your coloring books and Crayolas and use what real men use:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NS.../dp/B000KZCU26
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2019 1:00 PM, Bubba wrote:

Would Colonel Edmund J. Burke use crayons?Â* Hell no, you girlie-men put
away your coloring books and Crayolas and use what real men use:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NS.../dp/B000KZCU26

That may be the best. I also wonder if running a file over the mating
surface would make a difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2019 08:22 AM, Stumpy wrote:

There's a Michaels and a Joanns within 45 miles. I'll look at the
woodless graphite and the sticks next time I'm in town. 2B crayons are
the softest - so probably have the most graphite.

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-...nPitt2B/129902

If it doesn't work on the stove, you can take up art. I always feel out
of place in either of those stores. What I'm looking for probably
doesn't have anything to do with what they think it's used for. But then
I keep a tube of lipstick around. It comes in handy for fitting parts.
Fingernail polish has its uses too that don't have anything to do with
painting my toenails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/19 10:00 AM, Bubba wrote:
On 1/27/19 10:22 AM, Stumpy wrote:
On 1/26/19 5:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/26/2019 03:02 PM, Stumpy wrote:

Would Colonel Edmund J. Burke use crayons?Â* Hell no, you girlie-men put
away your coloring books and Crayolas and use what real men use:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NS.../dp/B000KZCU26

I'm going in to town Tuesday. First stop is AutoZone or Napa. They both
carry small tubes of brake caliper grease and anti-seize.

I may still want my crayons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I must be in another universe. Having never known of a wood stove
hinge pin being lubricated. I had one I took to ~1,000°F burning
Maple.

Sorry I can't help.

I bet your exterior hinge didn't get that hot, but mine squealed like
hell. Hot or cold.

I bet your door only "squeals" for a moment when you closed or opened
the door. It would no bother me enough to lube a hinge pin. We are
talking about a cast iron unit, right?

Have you tried bacon fat on the pin, if it bothers you?

Makes enough noise to wake up GF, bothers me enough. Yes, door is cast
it's a Lopi 1250. Bacon would probably only last one fire.

Is it a "fixed pin"? or a removeable pin?
In many cases ir is the top part of the hinge rubbing on the bottom
part, not the pin itself. Drill out a penny to fit the pin to act as a
"bearing" between the door and the case.

If it IS the pin, dissassemble and clean up the pin. Put a bit of
teflon paste on the pin, or silicone grease. If it is and integral or
"fixed"pin - made of cast iron - bacon grease will "season" the pin
like a fry pan and quiet things down too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2019 1:55 PM, rbowman wrote:

If it doesn't work on the stove, you can take up art.Â* I always feel out
of place in either of those stores. What I'm looking for probably
doesn't have anything to do with what they think it's used for. But then
I keep a tube of lipstick around. It comes in handy for fitting parts.
Fingernail polish has its uses too that don't have anything to do with
painting my toenails.

I always had this image of you riding your bike with painted toenails.
I'm crushed now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:

I bet your door only "squeals" for a moment when you closed or opened
the door. It would no bother me enough to lube a hinge pin. We are
talking about a cast iron unit, right?

Have you tried bacon fat on the pin, if it bothers you?

Makes enough noise to wake up GF, bothers me enough. Yes, door is cast
it's a Lopi 1250. Bacon would probably only last one fire.

Is it a "fixed pin"? or a removeable pin?
In many cases ir is the top part of the hinge rubbing on the bottom
part, not the pin itself. Drill out a penny to fit the pin to act as a
"bearing" between the door and the case.

If it IS the pin, dissassemble and clean up the pin. Put a bit of
teflon paste on the pin, or silicone grease. If it is and integral or
"fixed"pin - made of cast iron - bacon grease will "season" the pin
like a fry pan and quiet things down too.

It's a removable pin. 5/8" dia. so a penny isn't big enough. I already
looked for a 5/8" x 1" x 1/8" brass washer because the door touches one
and has a space on the other. If I don't solve my problem Tuesday I can
visit a machine shop later.

The graphite powder is working well right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Try a brass pin and a brass washer. Guaranteed not to squeak.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

Not going to last long on the door of a woodstove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 09:00:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

WD-40

Not going to last long on the door of a woodstove.

You ALWAYS have to go one better, eh, you abnormal senile cretin? I mean,
ALWAYS! Really ALWAYS! LOL

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:

I bet your door only "squeals" for a moment when you closed or
opened
the door.Â* It would no bother me enough to lube a hinge pin. We are
talking about a cast iron unit, right?

Have you tried bacon fat on the pin, if it bothers you?

Makes enough noise to wake up GF, bothers me enough. Yes, door is
cast
it's a Lopi 1250. Bacon would probably only last one fire.

Â*Â* Is it a "fixed pin"? or a removeable pin?
In many cases ir is the top part of the hinge rubbing on the bottom
part, not the pin itself. Drill out a penny to fit the pin to act as a
"bearing" between the door and the case.

Â*Â* If it IS the pin, dissassemble and clean up the pin. Put a bit of
teflon paste on the pin, or silicone grease. If it is and integral or
"fixed"pin - made of cast iron - bacon grease will "season" the pin
like a fry pan and quiet things down too.

It's a removable pin. 5/8" dia. so a penny isn't big enough. I already
looked for a 5/8" x 1" x 1/8" brass washer because the door touches one
and has a space on the other. If I don't solve my problem Tuesday I can
visit a machine shop later.

The graphite powder is working well right now.

Â* Try a brass pin and a brass washer. Guaranteed not to squeak.

WD-40

Not going to last long on the door of a woodstove.

Uugh! Bacon grease would smell WAY better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/19 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

But could get you beheaded if you are a muslim and stoned to death if you
are a jew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2019 01:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/27/2019 1:55 PM, rbowman wrote:

If it doesn't work on the stove, you can take up art. I always feel
out of place in either of those stores. What I'm looking for probably
doesn't have anything to do with what they think it's used for. But
then I keep a tube of lipstick around. It comes in handy for fitting
parts. Fingernail polish has its uses too that don't have anything to
do with painting my toenails.

I always had this image of you riding your bike with painted toenails.
I'm crushed now.

You'll never know. I may skip the helmet sometime but I'll be damned if
I'll ride a bike in flip flops. That's a 20-something deal. 150 hp bike,
$800 helmet with the trendy graphics, and flip flops.

After I park the bike and walk into Joanne's in my scruffy leather
jacket, the conversation can get interesting.

Do you have one of those snap fastener kits?
Sure, what do you want to use them for?
Fix the thumb break on my .357 shoulder rig.

I learned long ago to make up some story about my non-existent wife
working on some non-existent home project.

Of course, I sometimes have the same problem in the hardware store. I'm
big on what they call off label use in the drug business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 18:08:51 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

The parts guys try to hide under the counter when I come in. I tell
them what I'm looking for and they ask "what''r you working on this
time?" - and I tell them they REALLY don't want to know - - Most of
the time it's nothing close to what the part was made for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:35:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Uugh! Bacon grease would smell WAY better.

But could get you beheaded if you are a muslim and stoned to death if you
are a jew.

PLEASE! ...spare everyone your senile "humour", you 85-year-old senile lout!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Fixing an Old Faucet with Graphite Packing frank1492 Home Repair 3 April 10th 07 12:08 AM
Graphite grease: yeild to lithium? Bill Schwab Metalworking 5 November 20th 05 01:58 AM
graphite electrodes in EDR - use? Grant Erwin Metalworking 7 June 28th 05 08:32 AM
Powdered Graphite John Woodworking 6 June 28th 04 01:28 PM
GASKET MATERIALS: FLEXIBLE GRAPHITE Richard He Woodworking 0 March 11th 04 01:54 AM