Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric outlets

all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1181305-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/18 7:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

There's no such thing as downside up or upside down. Your
electrician just
felt like doing them that way. The only thing that might matter a bit
is if he was
consistent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 8:46:42 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/28/18 7:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

There's no such thing as downside up or upside down. Your
electrician just
felt like doing them that way. The only thing that might matter a bit
is if he was
consistent.

If there's no such thing as upside down, rather odd that in all the
houses I've been in here in NJ, I can't recall seeing one that was
installed with the ground pin up. I agree there is no code reqt as
to orientation, but the common and accepted practice, at least here
and all the places around the country I've visited, is with the ground
pin down. I would call ones with the ground pin up, upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2018 8:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

Google is your friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/18 8:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

It's a requirement if you have two-phase electrical service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2018 06:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

Are you Australian?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:59:44 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 11/28/2018 8:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

Google is your friend.

http://locobling.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/cool-outlet-covers-naughty-outlet-cover-decal-cool-cover-decal-funny-outlet-vinyl-oil-rubbed-bronze-outlet-covers-amazon.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2018 8:53 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 8:46:42 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/28/18 7:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

There's no such thing as downside up or upside down. Your
electrician just
felt like doing them that way. The only thing that might matter a bit
is if he was
consistent.

If there's no such thing as upside down, rather odd that in all the
houses I've been in here in NJ, I can't recall seeing one that was
installed with the ground pin up. I agree there is no code reqt as
to orientation, but the common and accepted practice, at least here
and all the places around the country I've visited, is with the ground
pin down. I would call ones with the ground pin up, upside down.

When we had renovations at work about 10 years ago, all receptacles were
installed pin up. It is not code, but some inspectors like if for
safety reasons. If a plug is not solidly in and there is a gap, a paper
clip can fall off the desk and lay across the two prongs. Pin up is
safer.

Of course, that has probably happened once in the last 60 years, but
some inspector wants to change things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Janette thompson m wrote

all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

The world got turned on its head by Trump.
Send him the bill and get him to fix them.

for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1181305-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 04:22:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

The world got turned on its head by Trump.
Send him the bill and get him to fix them.

Up and trolling again, senile pest?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 05:53:05 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 8:46:42 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/28/18 7:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

There's no such thing as downside up or upside down. Your
electrician just
felt like doing them that way. The only thing that might matter a bit
is if he was
consistent.

If there's no such thing as upside down, rather odd that in all the
houses I've been in here in NJ, I can't recall seeing one that was
installed with the ground pin up. I agree there is no code reqt as
to orientation, but the common and accepted practice, at least here
and all the places around the country I've visited, is with the ground
pin down. I would call ones with the ground pin up, upside down.

When I see one opposite of the rest, I assume it is on a switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

http://locobling.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/cool-outlet-covers-naughty-outlet-cover-decal-cool-cover-decal-funny-outlet-vinyl-oil-rubbed-bronze-outlet-covers-amazon.jpg

I was waiting for you to post this. This should be the symbol for ED,
Electrical Discussion.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 14:07:01 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

http://locobling.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/cool-outlet-covers-naughty-outlet-cover-decal-cool-cover-decal-funny-outlet-vinyl-oil-rubbed-bronze-outlet-covers-amazon.jpg

I was waiting for you to post this. This should be the symbol for ED,
Electrical Discussion.

"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much
longer using your knee."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 1:07:04 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

http://locobling.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/cool-outlet-covers-naughty-outlet-cover-decal-cool-cover-decal-funny-outlet-vinyl-oil-rubbed-bronze-outlet-covers-amazon.jpg

I was waiting for you to post this. This should be the symbol for ED,
Electrical Discussion.

--
Tekkie

If you had ED you couldn't handle this position (or any)!
Slight improvement:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/18 7:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

Everybody "sees" upside down (that's what the lens does, it turns
everything upside down). Your electrician is very good at what he does,
and realizes that not everyone compensates for the imperfection. In
other words, he thinks that if he put them in the right way, THEN you'd
see them upside down. You're just smarter than expected :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 11:33:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

And if that inspector is off sick, his replacement will want them
the other eay round.

For DECADES the standard, even on 2 prong outlets, was "neutral to the
left". With a grounded outlet, that is "ground down". Every outlet I
have in stock (mostly Leviton) have the wire stripping directions
printed on the back in such a way as they are right side up with the
ground down.
The "neutral on the left" convention was common as far back as 1914
Just like all single pole switches are printed in such a way that Down
is OFF.

Any place where it is done otherwise is because some mental midget
thought he was smarter than everyone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.suicide.methods

Default JANET TALKS ABOUT HER "Electric outlets" KKKOLOON talks about the neutral pin when he means the ground pin!

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 09:55:57 -0800, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 11/28/2018 5:14 AM, Janette Thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down. Why is that?

Not upside down, but installed correctly, my dear. Here is how three-prongers work. The neutral pin is situated on top of the udder two pins. This is largely a safety measure, insuring against any metal object making contact with the load-bearing pins, safely located below the neutral pin. An old trick of the trade. And, as a little aside to this rare info, may I mention that I, too, have wired up Sunset Chateau in like fashion. We have never had an arc here at the chateau.

Sincerely,
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
U.S. Army, ret.

You stupid moulie ****....you don't even know the difference between
neutral and ground (earth)!

One can only hope that your wired Sun**** ****eau the way you
describe!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:51:45 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 20:18:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 16:41:57 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 28 Nov 2018 10:21:13 -0800, Oren
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:57:41 -0500,
wrote:

When I see one opposite of the rest, I assume it is on a switch.

+1

I have several outlets with pin up. They are switched for table lamps.
One side is hot and the other switched. Often marked by an adhesive
dot sticker.

I like that system, half hot, half switched.

I asked the electrician to put the switched half pin up and the hot half
pin down, but he refused. I had to hire another electrician.

If youlook at an duplex outlet you will see it is impossible to
install the switched side different than the unswitched side - - -

Unless you use one like this and they do make them in the standard
style. (ground up no matter how you install them) in a vertical
orientation. Neutral up in a horizontal orientation.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...ds-legrand.jpg

Specialized double GFI unit _ they make the non GFI units too -
Legrand Adorne line - Kinda strange Euro look. Not cheap - the basic
non-GFI unit is about 6 bucks plus plate. - One will always be ground
down or neutral left.

My guess is getting replacements 5 or 10 years from now will prove
virtually impossible. I don't see them catching on in any big way -
but I've been wrong before - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For some reason a couple of the big companies seem to like stocking
obscure stuff and it seems to move.
Just because you don't see something at Home Depot doesn't mean you
can't get one. These days you don't even need to find an electrical
wholesaler who wants to screw with your tiny order.
It is usually on Amazon Prime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2018 02:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Any place where it is done otherwise is because some mental midget
thought he was smarter than everyone else.

Or in the case of this mental midget, it all depends on how I stuffed it
into the box. I never gave it much thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 09:45:31 -0500, Roger Wilco
wrote:

On 11/28/18 8:14 AM, Janette thompson wrote:
all my electric outlets are upside down ,why is that

It's a requirement if you have two-phase electrical service.

Why? Or is that a UK thing?

Was it a requirement in the 80's? Every home in my sub-development
has them upside down, and most of us hate it. We assume the developer
hired the electrician who bid the least, and got what he paid for.

Before here, I had a farm in the neighboring county. House constructed
in 1999. All outlets installed the right way. Identical transformers
on the power poles there and here.

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2018 11:41 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/28/2018 02:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Any place where it is done otherwise is because some mental midget
thought he was smarter than everyone else.

Or in the case of this mental midget, it all depends on how I stuffed
it into the box. I never gave it much thought.

* Well , Clare IS Canadian , has to have SOMETHING to feel superior
about . In my house , I installed the outlets pin up because I wanted
them that way . Only exceptions are a couple of dedicated outlets , one
for an AC unit and one for the fridge - because of the plug design on
their cords . I also have outlets every 6 feet plus or minus , he
probably thinks that's wrong too ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2018 06:58 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Well , Clare IS Canadian , has to have SOMETHING to feel superior about
. In my house , I installed the outlets pin up because I wanted them
that way . Only exceptions are a couple of dedicated outlets , one for
an AC unit and one for the fridge - because of the plug design on their
cords . I also have outlets every 6 feet plus or minus , he probably
thinks that's wrong too ...

Yeah, with the molded right angle connectors ya do what ya gotta do, up,
down, or sideways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water faucets, was: Electric outlets

In Ralph Mowery writes:

That got me to thinking about the water at sinks. As far as I know
unless the plumbers made a mistake all the hot water is on the left and
cold is on the right. Is there a code for this, or has it just become
a standard by everyone wanting or expecing it to be done this way ?

youngsters, ptfui.

Back in the good old daize when indoor plumbing first
came to this country, it was only cold water. So with
all Right Thinking People being right handed, the
faucet was on... the right (as you faced the sink).

Later on, as first the rich folk and, bit by bit,
the Vast Unwashed Masses got hot water, it was,
natch, on the left...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.suicide.methods

wrote:

[...]

STFU, Miss Recktum. Go play with some cans of spray paint, hopefully in the middle of a busy interstate.
LOL

Hot (Live)...Neutral (Return path)...Ground (Earth)....it ain't rocket
surgery, you ignorant ****!

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:58:02 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/28/2018 11:41 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/28/2018 02:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Any place where it is done otherwise is because some mental midget
thought he was smarter than everyone else.

Or in the case of this mental midget, it all depends on how I stuffed
it into the box. I never gave it much thought.

* Well , Clare IS Canadian , has to have SOMETHING to feel superior
about . In my house , I installed the outlets pin up because I wanted
them that way . Only exceptions are a couple of dedicated outlets , one
for an AC unit and one for the fridge - because of the plug design on
their cords . I also have outlets every 6 feet plus or minus , he
probably thinks that's wrong too ...

Not at all Snaggles. It might be a bit excessive, but not wrong. If
I was building today there would likely be one roughly every 8 feet ,
definitely no more than 10 feet between outlets and there would be a
lot more 3 and 4 way switches (actually, more likely low voltage
remote switching, combined with wifi. It's all to do with convenience.
The fact that items like your fridge ans AC unit are designed in
anticipation of the ground doun orientation would re-enforce the
assumption that the ground down configuration was "normal"

We all know you are not "normal" but that doesn't mean you are wrong -
just different - odd - and it also appears you are a CanukPhobiac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's the kind of crap you see on the shelves at Lowes and all the
hoity toity "Boutique" kitchen shops - - -

Not at Home Despot because Lowes has nailed it down as "Theirs"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:14:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lcgh-
says...

Was it a requirement in the 80's? Every home in my sub-development
has them upside down, and most of us hate it. We assume the developer
hired the electrician who bid the least, and got what he paid for.

Before here, I had a farm in the neighboring county. House constructed
in 1999. All outlets installed the right way. Identical transformers
on the power poles there and here.

In the US there is no code as to which way outlets should be installed.

That got me to thinking about the water at sinks. As far as I know
unless the plumbers made a mistake all the hot water is on the left and
cold is on the right. Is there a code for this, or has it just become
a standard by everyone wanting or expecing it to be done this way ?

It is part of the unified plumbing code. It is a "safety" issue.

The Uniform Plumbing Code now requires that faucets “shall be
connected to the water distribution system so that hot water
corresponds to the left side of the fittings"

Stangely enough when I was in Africa, MOST were installed the other
way 'round - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/28/2018 11:41 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/28/2018 02:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Any place where it is done otherwise is because some mental midget
thought he was smarter than everyone else.
Or in the case of this mental midget, it all depends on how I stuffed
it into the box. I never gave it much thought.

Â* Well , Clare IS Canadian , has to have SOMETHING to feel superior
[...]

Â* I don't think all Canadians are pricks , just you . IMO you are an
arrogant asshole that always tries to have the last word . And yes I
know I'm a bit odd . Comes with an IQ over 165 ... but then you'd have
no idea about thatÂ* .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:14:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lcgh-
says...

Was it a requirement in the 80's? Every home in my sub-development
has them upside down, and most of us hate it. We assume the developer
hired the electrician who bid the least, and got what he paid for.

Before here, I had a farm in the neighboring county. House constructed
in 1999. All outlets installed the right way. Identical transformers
on the power poles there and here.

In the US there is no code as to which way outlets should be installed.

That got me to thinking about the water at sinks. As far as I know
unless the plumbers made a mistake all the hot water is on the left and
cold is on the right. Is there a code for this, or has it just become
a standard by everyone wanting or expecing it to be done this way ?

It may be buried in the ASTM standard for faucets but I don't see it
in the plumbing code.