Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electric outlets

In article , lcgh-
says...

Was it a requirement in the 80's? Every home in my sub-development
has them upside down, and most of us hate it. We assume the developer
hired the electrician who bid the least, and got what he paid for.

Before here, I had a farm in the neighboring county. House constructed
in 1999. All outlets installed the right way. Identical transformers
on the power poles there and here.

In the US there is no code as to which way outlets should be installed.

That got me to thinking about the water at sinks. As far as I know
unless the plumbers made a mistake all the hot water is on the left and
cold is on the right. Is there a code for this, or has it just become
a standard by everyone wanting or expecing it to be done this way ?