Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is the size of this PVC pipe?

There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2018 12:39 AM, Oumati Asami wrote:
There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?

Perhaps somebody mixed in CPVC tubing-dimensioned material instead???

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cts-cpvc-tube-dimensions-d_1664.html

Where is this located geographically?

Can you post a picture or two with tape measure in appropriate location
for visualization?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Or maybe more likely the "drain" isn't just the end of a PVC pipe but
some drain attached to the pipe, in which case it could be any size opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:09:28 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?

!.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9". It sounds like you have nominal 2" ID
pipe. If it is thinwall, the ID will be a bit larger than schedule 40
because the OD is still the same.

That is also pretty standard for floor and shower drains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2018 7:02 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:28:42 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

wrote:

There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?
!.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9". It sounds like you have nominal 2" ID
pipe. If it is thinwall, the ID will be a bit larger than schedule 40
because the OD is still the same.

That is also pretty standard for floor and shower drains.

Â* You've got that backwards ... thin wall is smaller on the OD , both
are the same ID .

Not true at all or they could not use the same fittings.
That starts being true when you get up to 3" and over but the OD of 2"
and below is the same as schedule 40.
I have some in the garage I can take pictures of if you don't believe
me.

Â* OK , I'm talking about "sanitary" pipe , 3" and over . Apparently
you're talking sched 40 vs sched 80 for pressurized applications . Know
what a sched 80 4" PVC line sounds like when it lets go with 150+ PSI
air inside ? Cabinet shop , bench workers all dived for the floor . I
headed for the main air cutoff . They had bumped that section with the
forklift at some point , just enough to weaken it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:36:32 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/27/2018 7:02 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:28:42 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All of this divisiveness has us all on edge. We all agree. up to 2"
the OD is the same ID changes and thin wall drain pipe starts being
another breed of cat after that.
For the OP. That is 2" probably schmo 40 once you get past the flange.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:58:05 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

1 1/2" pipe: OD 47 mm

Oh no, not that commie metric thing ;-)

In real life "roughly" 47mm is 1.85 in and close enough to the nominal
1.9 inches to say "pot's right" ;-)

See it works in the other 95% of the world too ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?

!.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9". It sounds like you have nominal 2" ID
pipe. If it is thinwall, the ID will be a bit larger than schedule 40
because the OD is still the same.

That is also pretty standard for floor and shower drains.

The following is the measurement I took with a ruler. It may be off by a
little.

1 1/2" pipe: OD 47 mm

1 1/2" coupling: OD 56 mm, ID 48 mm

drain: OD 60mm, ID 55 mm

This drain is an 90 degree elbow. There is another drain next to it. The
second drain must be a T. Its size, by eyeballing, is same as the elbow
drain.

Where in the world is this located? It also seems rather odd that a floor
drain would just be a 90 deg elbow, with no provision for a cover of some
kind to keep debris out. That's why I thought it could be some kind of
drain, in which case, it could have any dimensions. It still could be
that, is there any indication it was made to accept an insert that serves
as a strainer, for example? And what is the objective? I assume this
is in a concrete floor? What are you trying to do with it?