Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is the size of this PVC pipe?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:28:42 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/27/2018 4:18 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:09:28 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

There is a PVC drain on the floor of the laundry room. I inserted a 1
1/2" pipe in it but the hole is slightly larger. I think it is about
1/8" larger. Its OD is slightly larger than the OD of a 1 1/2" pipe
coupling. There is no PVC pipe whose size is between 1 1/2" and 2". You
either have 1 1/2" pipe or you have 2" pipe. There is no 1 3/4" PVC pipe
and it would be too large if there were such a pipe.

So, what is the size of this drain?

!.5" PVC has an OD of 1.9". It sounds like you have nominal 2" ID
pipe. If it is thinwall, the ID will be a bit larger than schedule 40
because the OD is still the same.

That is also pretty standard for floor and shower drains.

Â* You've got that backwards ... thin wall is smaller on the OD , both
are the same ID .

Not true at all or they could not use the same fittings.
That starts being true when you get up to 3" and over but the OD of 2"
and below is the same as schedule 40.
I have some in the garage I can take pictures of if you don't believe
me.