Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 14:30:18 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Yes.

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

They break and you fix them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

Ice Maker is the biggest problem with every brand of refrigerator. In
any case, I'd not have a fridge without both ice and water. Big deal,
after 7 years it needs a repair but you have lots of ice to use every day.

Cars get flat tires but yet I still drive one. Worth the risk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/25/2018 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never
had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

Ice Maker is the biggest problem with every brand of refrigerator.Â* In
any case, I'd not have a fridge without both ice and water.Â* Big deal,
after 7 years it needs a repair but you have lots of ice to use every day.

Cars get flat tires but yet I still drive one.Â* Worth the risk.

Yes but you need tires on a car but do not need and an ice maker. They
do break down. If you do not use a lot of ice it is not worth it.
Normal ice cube trays are all we need and I would not get one with an
ice maker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

You can buy the whole damned ice maker for around $40 these days, 2
screws and a plug.
We use the hell out of 2 of them. I suppose it all depends on if you
use much ice.
I have had an ice maker since 1971 and I would never screw with ice
trays again.

As for problems, I throw a new ice maker or maybe just the head every
few years (with 2 running hard). The ones with the tray on the door
and the LED level sensor are more trouble but still just a $20-30 part
to fix. (The LED and sensor assembly kit)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

You can buy the whole damned ice maker for around $40 these days, 2
screws and a plug.
We use the hell out of 2 of them. I suppose it all depends on if you
use much ice.
I have had an ice maker since 1971 and I would never screw with ice
trays again.

As for problems, I throw a new ice maker or maybe just the head every
few years (with 2 running hard). The ones with the tray on the door
and the LED level sensor are more trouble but still just a $20-30 part
to fix. (The LED and sensor assembly kit)

I'd recommend one with crushed ice dispenser. Crushed ice is much better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 15:03:47 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 8/25/2018 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/25/2018 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never
had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

Ice Maker is the biggest problem with every brand of refrigerator.Â* In
any case, I'd not have a fridge without both ice and water.Â* Big deal,
after 7 years it needs a repair but you have lots of ice to use every day.

Cars get flat tires but yet I still drive one.Â* Worth the risk.

Yes but you need tires on a car but do not need and an ice maker. They
do break down. If you do not use a lot of ice it is not worth it.
Normal ice cube trays are all we need and I would not get one with an
ice maker.

Yep. Personal preference. Two plastic ice cube trays works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

You can buy the whole damned ice maker for around $40 these days, 2
screws and a plug.
We use the hell out of 2 of them. I suppose it all depends on if you
use much ice.
I have had an ice maker since 1971 and I would never screw with ice
trays again.

As for problems, I throw a new ice maker or maybe just the head every
few years (with 2 running hard). The ones with the tray on the door
and the LED level sensor are more trouble but still just a $20-30 part
to fix. (The LED and sensor assembly kit)

I'd recommend one with crushed ice dispenser. Crushed ice is much better.

Most of them do that now if it feeds through the door.
The old GE crushers sucked but the Whirlpool models seem pretty
trouble free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 10:26 PM, J.Albert wrote:

My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you pour water and
it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

You must live in a perfect world with no kids. Too many times I'd go
for ice and find one cube in the tray. I love automation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/18 3:03 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/25/2018 2:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/25/2018 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory.
Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

Ice Maker is the biggest problem with every brand of refrigerator.Â* In
any case, I'd not have a fridge without both ice and water.Â* Big deal,
after 7 years it needs a repair but you have lots of ice to use every
day.

Cars get flat tires but yet I still drive one.Â* Worth the risk.

Yes but you need tires on a car but do not need and an ice maker.Â* They
do break down.Â* If you do not use a lot of ice it is not worth it.
Normal ice cube trays are all we need and I would not get one with an
ice maker.

Well you're not much of a drinking man, are you ;-)

--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought...hell no, that cant be
right...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 08:10:22 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 8/25/18 3:03 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I drink more iced tea than I would want to fool with trays to supply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought...hell no, that can?t be
right...

Constantly...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 4:47:03 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

--
Tekkie

If you are really serious that you use almost no ice, if you hook it up,
make sure you only turn it on to make a little bit of ice at a time.
They have an on/off switch. If you leave it on, the bucket will fill
with several quarts of ice and if you don't use it fast enough, it
winds up fusing together. You can still separate it, by whacking it
with the bottom of glass or similar to knock them apart, but it's
better if you only make a little at a time.

I guess whether to hook it up or not also depends on how easy or hard
that is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:47:07 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

You can always pull it out, typically one plug and 2 screws. Then you
free up the space. I would put it away in case I changed my mind but
you could get $30-40 for it on Ebay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 1:30:15 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?
--
Tekkie

I can't live without ice so if I bought a fridge it must have an ice maker. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2018 3:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

As has been said, if you don't need it, you can take it out (generally -
it's not in the door is it? Just mounted to one side of the freezer
section?) Other than the electrical plug for the motor/sensors the
plumbing line is surface mounted as is the valve and connection for the
water line. Take it out and sell it or stow it for a future change of
heart. A gob of putty inside and out for the water line which will slip
right out with some putty attached and you've gained a cubic foot or so
in your freezer compartment. Easy Peasy! Me? I couldn't stand not
having an ice maker, but that's just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 16:00:46 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:47:07 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

I asked about that and the salesman claimed it would leave holes in the back
of it. I would mess it up anyway and probably puncture the refrigerant line.
I have decided to not have it connected.

In the case of a whirlpool that is simply not the case. The cable
entry is potted with foam and you can put the screws back in to fill
those holes. The only other hole is where the fill hose comes in and
that is closed by the fill valve.
You have no reason to get anywhere near the refrigerant lines and they
are behind a metal cover anyway.
The ice maker just has 3 screws holding it to the side of the box (2
at the top, one at the bottom) and one 4 pin connector.
You can just pull the tray out and leave the auger motor there. It
won't take up any room because it is really behind the box with just a
forked drive sprocket sticking out.