Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 16:00:46 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:47:07 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

You can always pull it out, typically one plug and 2 screws. Then you
free up the space. I would put it away in case I changed my mind but
you could get $30-40 for it on Ebay.

I asked about that and the salesman claimed it would leave holes in the back
of it. I would mess it up anyway and probably puncture the refrigerant line.
I have decided to not have it connected.

In the case of a whirlpool that is simply not the case. The cable
entry is potted with foam and you can put the screws back in to fill
those holes. The only other hole is where the fill hose comes in and
that is closed by the fill valve.
You have no reason to get anywhere near the refrigerant lines and they
are behind a metal cover anyway.
The ice maker just has 3 screws holding it to the side of the box (2
at the top, one at the bottom) and one 4 pin connector.
You can just pull the tray out and leave the auger motor there. It
won't take up any room because it is really behind the box with just a
forked drive sprocket sticking out.