Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 4:47:03 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

--
Tekkie

If you are really serious that you use almost no ice, if you hook it up,
make sure you only turn it on to make a little bit of ice at a time.
They have an on/off switch. If you leave it on, the bucket will fill
with several quarts of ice and if you don't use it fast enough, it
winds up fusing together. You can still separate it, by whacking it
with the bottom of glass or similar to knock them apart, but it's
better if you only make a little at a time.

I guess whether to hook it up or not also depends on how easy or hard
that is.