Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 3:32:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 14:30:18 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

How are repair statistics on Whirlpool icemakers?

You can buy the whole damned ice maker for around $40 these days, 2
screws and a plug.
We use the hell out of 2 of them. I suppose it all depends on if you
use much ice.
I have had an ice maker since 1971 and I would never screw with ice
trays again.

As for problems, I throw a new ice maker or maybe just the head every
few years (with 2 running hard). The ones with the tray on the door
and the LED level sensor are more trouble but still just a $20-30 part
to fix. (The LED and sensor assembly kit)

I'd recommend one with crushed ice dispenser. Crushed ice is much better.