Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New refrigerator - icemaker or not?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:47:07 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

J.Albert posted for all of us...

On 8/25/18 2:30 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Getting a new refrigerator. It has an icemaker from the factory. Never had
one. Should I have it hooked up?

Have never had a refrigerator with an "icemaker" that you
speak of.
My fridge has these things called "trays", into which you
pour water and it magically turns into ice after a little while.
I take the trays and dump the ice into a storage bin.
One less thing to go wrong.
Works for me.

The new refrigs' come with an ice-maker from the factory with no delete
option. I am trying to decide to have it hooked up or not. We use no ice as
it is. I don't think we have trays anymore. I like cold water and my wife
either chills it or puts it in the freezer after refilling the plastic
bottles.

You can always pull it out, typically one plug and 2 screws. Then you
free up the space. I would put it away in case I changed my mind but
you could get $30-40 for it on Ebay.