Posted to alt.home.repair

Default H/W Pilot

I have a Hot Water heater, that has an Always On nat gas pilot light.
We live near the ocean side, where 35 MPH winds are quite common.
Depending upon the wind strength and direction, the wind will on
occasion blow out that pilot light. My wife sure lets me know, when
she encounters a COLD morning shower. This happens ~3 -4 times a
year, still a PAIN!!

I have searched the net, and asked a plumbing supply sto "Is there
a vent/ exhaust stack cap that I could put on". My idea is that cap
would automaticcally rotate/adapt to the direction of the wind. The
cap would in effect prevent (most of) the downward draft wind, into
the exhaust tube, from "blowing out" the gas pilot.

Does anyone know if theere is such an item that I could add, to
prevent the wind from killing the pilot?? I sure would enjoy NEVER
relighting that DA*N pilot! - rob

BTW: I have found one plus. Today the pilot (15 year old HW heaater)
would not relight. A replacement thermocouple resolved that issue. I
did find a lot of rust debris, upon the buirner element. Further there
was also a small amount, on the area where the pilot light is. After
cleaning all debris, it now seems that the pilot light is "more
robust"?? I may have thus lessened how often the pilot fails???? For
sure I now have a more effective burner, w/o that debris!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/18 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

That's what OP was asking about but minimum 5" which would be huge for
just a WH...I've never seen directional for 3" which would be what I'd
expect has...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:43:14 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/22/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

That's what OP was asking about but minimum 5" which would be huge for
just a WH...I've never seen directional for 3" which would be what I'd
expect has...

I noticed the minimum size. My WH exhaust vent is stationary. The
exhaust pipe is through the garage ceiling and through the roof. I've
had wind "chatter", a baffle?

OP is the exhaust pipe taped with foil tape at each pipe connection?
I'm only guessing you have a draft concern in the exhaust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 9:32 AM, wrote:
On 8/22/18 12:12 PM, wrote:
I have a Hot Water heater, that has an Always On nat gas pilot light.
We live near the ocean side, where 35 MPH winds are quite common.
Depending upon the wind strength and direction, the wind will on
occasion blow out that pilot light. My wife sure lets me know, when
she encounters a COLD morning shower. This happens ~3 -4Â* times a
year, still a PAIN!!

I have searched the net, and asked a plumbing supply sto "Is there
a vent/ exhaust stack cap that I could put on". My idea is that cap
would automaticcally rotate/adapt to the direction of the wind. The
cap would in effectÂ* prevent (most of) the downward draft wind, into
the exhaust tube, from "blowing out" the gas pilot.

Does anyone know if theere is such an item that I could add, to
prevent the wind from killing the pilot?? I sure would enjoy NEVER
relighting that DA*N pilot! - rob

BTW:Â* I have found one plus. Today the pilot (15 year old HW heaater)
would not relight. A replacement thermocouple resolved that issue. I
did find a lot of rust debris, upon the buirner element. Further there
was also a small amount, on the area where the pilot light is. After
cleaning all debris, it now seems that the pilot light is "more
robust"?? I may have thus lessened how often the pilot fails???? For
sure I now have a more effective burner, w/o that debris!

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

The possible problem with such a device is that it might increase the
suction enough to "suck" the pilot light out.

Maybe https://www.amazon.com/269804-High-W.../dp/B0052HZB9Q.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:46:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:29:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/22/2018 12:12 PM, wrote:

I have searched the net, and asked a plumbing supply sto "Is there
a vent/ exhaust stack cap that I could put on".

BTW: I have found one plus. Today the pilot (15 year old HW heaater)
would not relight. A replacement thermocouple resolved that issue. I
did find a lot of rust debris, upon the buirner element. Further there
was also a small amount, on the area where the pilot light is. After
cleaning all debris, it now seems that the pilot light is "more
robust"?? I may have thus lessened how often the pilot fails???? For
sure I now have a more effective burner, w/o that debris!

You are in better shape anyway. Chimney caps help considerably and
getting the crap makes a difference too.

At 15 years you may be needing a new one soon anyway. That seems to be
the life of them.

I agree, I may soon need a HW replacement. Alas EVER TAXING Danny
Malloy "forced" us to move from CT and establish Florida as our state
domicile. Thus we now only live in CT for 5 summer months. I am hoping
that the HW heater lasts for a few years

Have you removed the pilot light and made sure it's clean, orifice is open?
Any chance it's the thermocouple is weak and that's the problem?
All the water heaters like that I have seen have an opening at the top
where the exhaust goes out, where additional air can enter. You'd
think that would tend to limit how much air volume can make it all
the way down to the pilot light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/18 1:37 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/22/2018 9:32 AM, wrote:
On 8/22/18 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually that is the style I was looking for as it is what my house near
Boulder Colorado had. We would get 60-80 mph winds (chinooks) coming out
of the mountains in the spring. It appears to be designed to be
omnidirectional.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 1:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Have you removed the pilot light and made sure it's clean, orifice is open?
Any chance it's the thermocouple is weak and that's the problem?

He mentioned above he had put in a new TC and cleaned stuff up...altho
not sure he mentioned whether actually used tip cleaner on the orifice
itself, they're pretty small...

All the water heaters like that I have seen have an opening at the top
where the exhaust goes out, where additional air can enter. You'd
think that would tend to limit how much air volume can make it all
the way down to the pilot light.

Don't live where the wind blows much, huh?!

When it "gets up and howls" it may not matter...even with the baffle on
the well house heater, every once in a while it still gets snuffed.

I posted a couple years ago my replacing the "wild pilot" on it for a
new safety control valve and just last year added the monitor to let me
know from a distance if the temperature drops below (say) 45 F so know
it's out before freezes up without having to walk out there to check...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:47:01 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2018 1:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Have you removed the pilot light and made sure it's clean, orifice is open?
Any chance it's the thermocouple is weak and that's the problem?

He mentioned above he had put in a new TC and cleaned stuff up...altho
not sure he mentioned whether actually used tip cleaner on the orifice
itself, they're pretty small...

All the water heaters like that I have seen have an opening at the top
where the exhaust goes out, where additional air can enter. You'd
think that would tend to limit how much air volume can make it all
the way down to the pilot light.

Don't live where the wind blows much, huh?!

We have nor'easters here regularly. They can have gusts to 50 or so.
Went through Sandy that was a hurricane until it just came ashore,
probably ~70 mph gusts. That tore a lot of shingles off, but the WH
stayed lit. He says 35+ is enough to blow his out, so IDK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 6:45 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:47:01 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Don't live where the wind blows much, huh?!

We have nor'easters here regularly. They can have gusts to 50 or so.
Went through Sandy that was a hurricane until it just came ashore,
probably ~70 mph gusts. That tore a lot of shingles off, but the WH
stayed lit. He says 35+ is enough to blow his out, so IDK.

A lot depends on the installation -- location of the exhaust, height
above roof, other obstructions for ways to create tunnels, etc., etc.,
etc., ... Quite possibly some of those factors are more to blame than
the actual wind speed itself.

Undoubtedly there are particular units that are more susceptible, too,
just owing to vagaries of details of particular design/configuration.

What's different out here on High Plains is that wind can blow 30-50
from sunup to sundown for days on end...with no actual storm in sight.

DOE did a canvass for wind generation locations a number of years ago
using NOAA weather stations for their data source. The highest average
wind speed location in the database turned out to be Dodge City, KS, a
location about 80 mi from us. I've compared the local airport readings
to Dodge over a number of years and we're almost always a little bit
stronger than they are as are somewhat farther west...didn't make the
DOE list because isn't NOAA site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:13:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You can obtain an automatic pilot relighter from your local HVAC supply house, W.W. Grainger, Johnstone Supply, etc. The unit has an electrode that extends into the pilot flame and senses whether or not it's lit. If the flame goes out, it starts producing an electric spark to relight the flame before the thermocouple cools off and closes the gas valve. I installed a lot of those kits to take care of problems just like you're having. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/Robertshaw-78.../dp/B00CD6PRIY

https://ductanddampers.com/catalog/D...ELIGHTER-SKU76

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertsh...ot-Relight-Kit

[8~{} Uncle Flaming Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/18 11:43 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/22/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

That's what OP was asking about but minimum 5" which would be huge for
just a WH...I've never seen directional for 3" which would be what I'd
expect has...

This place has them down to 4".
https://www.luxurymetals.com/wind_directional_caps.html
Would oversizing be an issue? Couldn't he just slip it over the
existing
exhaust?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 12:12 PM, wrote:

[...]

I did just replace the thermocouple - after another high wind
extinguished the pilot, could not re-light.

I did not (unaware of your most valid suggestion) clean/clear the
pilot orifice - wish I had thought of that! Even with a small brush
cleaning, the pilot now seems "Mor Robust" than before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:32:20 -0400, wrote:

On 8/22/18 12:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

That item, which I had NOT seen, could be most useful -thanks for the
info/ link (as was also sent by another poster)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

That's what OP was asking about but minimum 5" which would be huge for
just a WH...I've never seen directional for 3" which would be what I'd
expect has...

I noticed the minimum size. My WH exhaust vent is stationary. The
exhaust pipe is through the garage ceiling and through the roof. I've
had wind "chatter", a baffle?

OP is the exhaust pipe taped with foil tape at each pipe connection?
I'm only guessing you have a draft concern in the exhaust.

I was unaware that the lack of taping. on the exhust pipe joints would
be a significant issue. Easy "fix" to try!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:53:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

I was totally unaware of such options - thx