Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default H/W Pilot

On 8/22/2018 9:32 AM, wrote:
On 8/22/18 12:12 PM, wrote:
I have a Hot Water heater, that has an Always On nat gas pilot light.
We live near the ocean side, where 35 MPH winds are quite common.
Depending upon the wind strength and direction, the wind will on
occasion blow out that pilot light. My wife sure lets me know, when
she encounters a COLD morning shower. This happens ~3 -4Â* times a
year, still a PAIN!!

I have searched the net, and asked a plumbing supply sto "Is there
a vent/ exhaust stack cap that I could put on". My idea is that cap
would automaticcally rotate/adapt to the direction of the wind. The
cap would in effectÂ* prevent (most of) the downward draft wind, into
the exhaust tube, from "blowing out" the gas pilot.

Does anyone know if theere is such an item that I could add, to
prevent the wind from killing the pilot?? I sure would enjoy NEVER
relighting that DA*N pilot! - rob

BTW:Â* I have found one plus. Today the pilot (15 year old HW heaater)
would not relight. A replacement thermocouple resolved that issue. I
did find a lot of rust debris, upon the buirner element. Further there
was also a small amount, on the area where the pilot light is. After
cleaning all debris, it now seems that the pilot light is "more
robust"?? I may have thus lessened how often the pilot fails???? For
sure I now have a more effective burner, w/o that debris!

You mean something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Directio.../dp/B009AX3FGE

The possible problem with such a device is that it might increase the
suction enough to "suck" the pilot light out.

Maybe https://www.amazon.com/269804-High-W.../dp/B0052HZB9Q.