Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

Default Oxygen-Dependent Grandmother in New Jersey Dies After Power CompanyDisconnects Her Service

On 7/10/2018 4:12 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Yo trader.....WTF dog? Bet they would not have shut if off if
she was White?

Oxygen-Dependent Grandmother in New Jersey Dies After Power Company
Disconnects Her Service

The family of a New Jersey grandmother who was dependent on an
electric-powered oxygen tank says she died Thursday afternoon after her
electricity was disconnected for nonpayment.

Linda Daniels, 68, was on hospice care and needed the oxygen to survive
because she suffered from congestive heart failure. Her family told NJ.com
that the power in her Newark, N.J., home was turned off by Public Service
Electric & Gas (PSE&G) around 10 a.m. Thursday morning; Daniels died at 4:23
p.m. that day of heart failure.

The temperature in Newark was in the 90s Thursday afternoon, on what her
daughter describes as "the hottest day of the summer." Her family members
said the heat only added to the trauma.
"She was trying to catch her breath-she was gasping for air," Daniels'
28-year-old granddaughter, Mia, told NJ.com. "She suffered and she passed
right in front of us. She was gasping until the time she died."

Daniels' daughter, Desiree Washington, told NJ.com that she spent the
afternoon applying ice packs to her mother's sides and fanning her in an
attempt to keep her cool.

Washington said Daniels had just paid $500 to the company two days before
and provided proof of that payment to NJ Advance Media, the parent company
of NJ.com. Washington said she and other family members called PSE&G
throughout the day, pleading with them to turn the power back on.

"She had just paid $500 two days before," Washington said. "And she's a
senior. We asked them, 'Why are you turning off her electric at the pole?'"

"We made numerous calls. We have a large family and everyone in our family
was calling. They told us they would be rolling a truck. The truck did not
come until the next day."

PSE&G issued a statement on Sunday and said the power to the Daniels home
was disconnected "due to lack of payment over several months."

Jim Namiotka, a company spokesman, said: "As part of our policy, PSE&G had
notified this customer numerous times that their account was in arrears and
that they would be scheduled for a service termination unless the account
was made current."

Namiotka told NJ.com that the family did not notify PSE&G of Daniels'
medical condition until after the power was shut off.

Washington disputes that, saying family members as well as hospice workers
had informed the company in writing about her mother's medical issues.

"We are reviewing our records to determine what transpired. We encourage
customers who have medical issues to contact us so that we can note their
circumstances on their accounts," Namiotka said.

Daniels' family also denies she was behind on her bill.

Washington told ABC7NY that she is considering legal action against PSE&G,
but right now her main focus is her mother's funeral on Wednesday.

It's sad, but why not:
Call 911
Move her to the residence of one of the numerous family members
Run an extension cord next door
Rent a generator
Lots of options to prevent death.
The family had weeks to plan for this.
They dropped the ball.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2018 2:12 AM, mike wrote:

[...]

The real issue is the medical notice. Here in CT the power cannot be
turned off with a form from the doctor citing the need for oxygen.
Family says the told them, power company denies it.

It is also possible to supply liquid oxygen where no power is needed,
but few companies do that these days.

I blame the family
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/18 8:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/11/2018 2:12 AM, mike wrote:

[...]

The "real issue" though isn't the lack of legislated medical notice
requirement.

As you said, plain and simple....it's the family's fault. They were
negligent not taking decisive, prudent, responsible and timely action.

Now they're playing the victim card- though it's unclear whether that's
being driven by greed, guilt, or of greater concern- the passive,
helpless snowflakitis that has been increasingly infecting our society
in recent years.

--
When government becomes the parent, the people become the child.
- @larryelder
Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2018 10:23 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

They should have had an emergency supply.

What would have happened to her if say a car had a wreck and took out a
power pole to the house, or a tree limb fell and took out the power ?

Emergency supply is usually about 4 hours. A call to the supplier can
get more as needed. I was involved a bit when my son had his business
and theses thing came upand were easily solved. No excuse, the family
f'd up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 2:12:53 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

Since oxygen was the main issue, that's exactly what I thought too.
These family members say they were there, watching her suffer, calling
the electric company, for what sounds like most of the day. She was in
Newark, not some remote part of the woods. How hard could it be to get
an extension cord and plug it in somewhere? You could easily power the
o2 gear and a fan.

Rent a generator
Lots of options to prevent death.
The family had weeks to plan for this.
They dropped the ball.

I'm betting there was an outlet somewhere within ext cord range that
they could have used, even with no planning ahead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/11/2018 10:15 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Now they're playing the victim card- though it's unclear whether that's being driven by greed, guilt, or of greater concern- the passive, helpless snowflakitis that has been increasingly infecting our society in recent years.

Most likely the family's attorney will find a gullible jury and the family will have a nice payday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 5:50:53 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
More likely several months...most places you need
to be several payments behind before they shut you off
buth then again we are Talking about New Jersey here.

You have to be behind more than just a few months. On the news they
said her outstanding bill was $1800 and that was after a recent $500
payment that the family claims she made. That sounds like more than
a year to me. They also have all kinds of assistance for people who
are low income and won't shut it off at all if they know you have a
medical need.