Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Oxygen-Dependent Grandmother in New Jersey Dies After PowerCompany Disconnects Her Service

On 7/11/2018 2:12 AM, mike wrote:

Namiotka told NJ.com that the family did not notify PSE&G of Daniels'
medical condition until after the power was shut off.

Washington disputes that, saying family members as well as hospice
workers
had informed the company in writing about her mother's medical issues.

"We are reviewing our records to determine what transpired. We encourage
customers who have medical issues to contact us so that we can note their
circumstances on their accounts," Namiotka said.

Daniels' family also denies she was behind on her bill.

Washington told ABC7NY that she is considering legal action against
PSE&G,
but right now her main focus is her mother's funeral on Wednesday.

It's sad, but why not:
Call 911
Move her to the residence of one of the numerous family members
Run an extension cord next door
Rent a generator
Lots of options to prevent death.
The family had weeks to plan for this.
They dropped the ball.

The real issue is the medical notice. Here in CT the power cannot be
turned off with a form from the doctor citing the need for oxygen.
Family says the told them, power company denies it.

It is also possible to supply liquid oxygen where no power is needed,
but few companies do that these days.

I blame the family