Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aviators oxygen vs welding or medical oxygen.

So I got a cylinder from a friend, that is a Avox System 9700 series, 11.0 CU FT 1800 PSI. Which I really really like, but I am confuse about if I have to refill it which O2 should I use, what if I just can not get aviators oxygen?

Actually I just don't know much about this.

Can someone help me?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In Robert Nichols writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"danny burstein" wrote in message
news
In Robert Nichols
writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at
http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of
welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting
purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/i...ygen-different

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:01:33 -0800, cecilioucr wrote:

So I got a cylinder from a friend, that is a Avox System 9700 series,
11.0 CU FT 1800 PSI. Which I really really like, but I am confuse about
if I have to refill it which O2 should I use, what if I just can not get
aviators oxygen?

Actually I just don't know much about this.

Can someone help me?

IIRC oxygen for human consumption has CO2 mixed in. The pathways that
regulate breathing sense blood CO2 concentration and make you breath
faster when it goes up -- and let you stop breathing when it goes down
close to zero.

Feel free to Google around and double check. I suspect that a welding
supply place wouldn't want to mess with refilling it, but you could check.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:51:11 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Robert Nichols writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

I used to own a welding supply distributorship. We sold both medical
and industrial oxygen.

Medical and welding tanks connected to the exact same fill header. The
difference is that we had to test the welding oxygen for dewpoint (-50
deg F if I recall correctly) while it didn't matter for medical
oxygen.

For the medical oxygen, we had to have an FDA license and keep track
of lot numbers. Though not required, we recorded the oxygen purity
for each lot.

The other difference is that the green medical oxygen cylinders had to
be internally thoroughly cleaned before initial use to eliminate any
potential particulate sources.

Bottom line: welding oxygen is of higher quality than medical oxygen.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:35:05 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

IIRC oxygen for human consumption has CO2 mixed in.

NO! At least for medical oxygen. No idea about aviation oxygen but
since the oxygen for commercial pilots comes from a LOX tank, I doubt
that aviation oxygen has anything added either.

The pathways that
regulate breathing sense blood CO2 concentration and make you breath
faster when it goes up -- and let you stop breathing when it goes down
close to zero.

This is true to a point but most anyone on medical oxygen has a
respiratory or other problem that keeps their O2 sat low. A normal
person will have a sat level of from 98 to 100%. The standard of care
for starting long term oxygen therapy is 89%, a level that has the
patient gasping for breath.

I was on concentrator-produced oxygen for several years after a spinal
injury severed the nerves that drive my left diaphragm. I had a
surgical procedure done by robot called a hemidiaphragmatic plication
where the surgeon tied the two diaphragm muscles together. I regained
enough lung capacity to get off the oxygen.

My O2 sat while I was on the concentrators ran around 95%. Plenty of
CO2 in my system to keep me breathing just fine.

I have an oxygen concentration meter that I used to check used
concentrators before I bought them. A new machine will produce 99%
pure oxygen. A machine with a couple of years on it will drop to
97-98%. The sieve columns are replaced at 95%.
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at
http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of
welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting
purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/i...ygen-different

Very interesting, indeed.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The impurity is 'natural' from pumps and valves. In medical oxygen that
might feed through machines that are very expensive or feed a person
with 20% of their lung left, the air is FILTERED heavily.

At 10 or 20,000 feet with flights up to 80,000 one does not want
moisture in the air line. Simple as that.

Just like your plasma - water kills.

Think of a vacuum cleaner / shop vacuum - and then one with a Hepa
filter on it. What air do you breathe while you clean up with it ?

Martin

on Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:01:33 -0800 (PST) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
So I got a cylinder from a friend, that is a Avox System 9700 series, 11.0 CU FT 1800 PSI. Which I really really like, but I am confuse about if I have to refill it which O2 should I use, what if I just can not get aviators oxygen?

Actually I just don't know much about this.

Can someone help me?

Oxygen is oxygen. And unless someone can explain why they are
adding an impurity to the tank, the rest is hand waving.

Adding "Aviation" or "Medical" (like "all natural" or "marine") to
the label merely means it is going to cost you more.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn on Sun, 12 Feb 2017
21:20:21 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
The impurity is 'natural' from pumps and valves. In medical oxygen that
might feed through machines that are very expensive or feed a person
with 20% of their lung left, the air is FILTERED heavily.

At 10 or 20,000 feet with flights up to 80,000 one does not want
moisture in the air line. Simple as that.

I'm still confused.

What sort of 'impurities" can be in an oxygen environment? Okay,
water / humidity I can understand - it is "inert". But how did it get
in their in the first place? One would think that distilling Oxygen
out of the atmosphere would first remove the water.
Part of my confusion come from having dealt with the specs for
manufacturing medical equipment which would be part of the oxygen
system. "Not oil at all." Not before, not after, not during "Thou
shallt have no oil in the presence of the metal. Neither shall it be
on the tools thou useth. On the finished part is straight off."

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:14:04 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

For one thing, improperly cleaned and/or purged tanks / lines / valves / connectors could have all sorts of impurities. just opening the empty tanks valve to ambient air will introduce impurities (notably, in this case, water in the form of atmospheric humidity).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 09:14:25 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Martin Eastburn on Sun, 12 Feb 2017
21:20:21 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
The impurity is 'natural' from pumps and valves. In medical oxygen that
might feed through machines that are very expensive or feed a person
with 20% of their lung left, the air is FILTERED heavily.

At 10 or 20,000 feet with flights up to 80,000 one does not want
moisture in the air line. Simple as that.

Isn't that why they put the PSA in the bottom of the tank?

I'm still confused.

What sort of 'impurities" can be in an oxygen environment? Okay,
water / humidity I can understand - it is "inert". But how did it get
in their in the first place? One would think that distilling Oxygen
out of the atmosphere would first remove the water.
Part of my confusion come from having dealt with the specs for
manufacturing medical equipment which would be part of the oxygen
system. "Not oil at all." Not before, not after, not during "Thou
shallt have no oil in the presence of the metal. Neither shall it be
on the tools thou useth. On the finished part is straight off."

Especially in Antioch, unless thy passeth the holy hand grenade.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

danny burstein wrote in news
In Robert Nichols

writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level

required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

I have my doubts; after all, the oxygen you're breathing right now is about four parts impurities
to one part oxygen...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - and it is for life/death it is
from the medical OX supplier.

Water is sucked into the pump and into the tank / hose in real time.
It is kept out of OX for life.

OX is generated in chemical reactions in canisters for airplanes. Now
and then one catches fire and causes news on the TV.

N2 tanks are 'dry' tanks also. No water. Many plasma machines use N2
not air. Plasma creates instant steam and it blasts the beam wide and
cools it as well giving a poor and sloppy cut edge.

Martin

On 2/13/2017 11:14 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn on Wed, 15 Feb 2017
21:42:38 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

And what you have is not a tank of oxygen.

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

And it has nitrogen, co2, h2o, pollen and dust in it?

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

This facility compresses air into a liquid, then it boils off each
gas to separate them. The majority of the oxygen is fed to the AK steel
mill a couple miles away, but they also supply hospitals with oxygen.

They also sell the rare gases that were mixed into the air, for
industrial use.

The reduction towers are huge, and the pumps are noisy. I used to
live near it, and I was involved in the upgrade when the sections of new
towers were transported from the Ohio river, through our cable TV
system. Each piece was moved on a 40 axle, 4,000HP crawler with a top
speed of five MPH. The assembly was done in England, since no place in
the US could transport that weight on existing roads and bridges. It
would have been in many smaller sections, and taken at least two more
years to add the needed Oxygen capacity.

,881m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x106f597f0d4863a3!8m2 !3d39.488846!4d-84.397463

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh sigh...

Martin Eastburn on Wed, 15 Feb 2017
21:42:38 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

And what you have is not a tank of oxygen.

This is a 'green' tank marked Oxygen for welding. One uses filters if
it must be cleaner. In a torch - Oxygen/Hydro... it doesn't matter.
If it did you would put a particle filter on it. Don't breathe this as
medical ox.

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

And it has nitrogen, co2, h2o, pollen and dust in it?

Oxygen tanks are percentage of pure OX. It will have other stuff in it
if 98% Ox. One never gets pure Ox in an iron/steel tank. It would have
to be glass lined and purged/cleaned every time.
Air isn't pure Ox. It is mostly Nitrogen. It has He in it as well.
All sorts of non OX is in air.

When I get an OX tank from a company - and it is for life/death it is
from the medical OX supplier.

And why if it is always 100% pure OX is there Medical grade ? It isn't
just medical grade container.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn on Thu, 16 Feb 2017
17:21:58 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Oh sigh...

Martin Eastburn on Wed, 15 Feb 2017
21:42:38 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

And what you have is not a tank of oxygen.

This is a 'green' tank marked Oxygen for welding. One uses filters if
it must be cleaner. In a torch - Oxygen/Hydro... it doesn't matter.
If it did you would put a particle filter on it. Don't breathe this as
medical ox.

I'm still curious as to how one can have compounds in a 100% or
even 99.9% Oxy environment.

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

And it has nitrogen, co2, h2o, pollen and dust in it?

Oxygen tanks are percentage of pure OX. It will have other stuff in it
if 98% Ox. One never gets pure Ox in an iron/steel tank.

I would expect that to be true. After all, iron oxidizes rather
well, and unfortunately, the oxides lack the structural integrity to
protect the un oxidized iron from exposure.

It would have
to be glass lined and purged/cleaned every time.
Air isn't pure Ox. It is mostly Nitrogen. It has He in it as well.
All sorts of non OX is in air.

There must be something to the magic of getting oxygen into tanks
which I'm missing.

When I get an OX tank from a company - and it is for life/death it is
from the medical OX supplier.

And why if it is always 100% pure OX is there Medical grade ? It isn't
just medical grade container.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

As a medic who uses "medical" oxygen a lot. You basically have steel
tanks, aluminum tanks and some stainless steel.

Steel are usually higher pressure units, used as vehicle born or
stationary tanks feeding into a manifold. There are steel portable tanks
still out there but they are a dying item. As they fail hydro they are
replaced by aluminum.

Stainless are usually liquid oxygen for hospitals and bulk transport.

For most of the local ambulance and rescue units we just swap empty
tanks as needed.
Where do we swap out our "medical oxygen" tanks? The local welding
supply place, who fill medical O2 and welding O2 from the same tank....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 19:41:31 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I'm still curious as to how one can have compounds in a 100% or
even 99.9% Oxy environment.

Because commercially pure (medical or welding) gas simply isn't that
pure. In all but the smallest plants, oxygen, nitrogen and argon
tanks are filled by boiling that component of liquid air, separated by
a fractionation tower. Oxygen contains a little nitrogen and all the
compressed gases contain traces of helium.

Research grade (so called "5 9s") gas is made by refining the
commercial grade gas through filters, catalysts and absorbers. That
gas is quite expensive (I pay $1/liter in 200 liter cylinders for neon
for my sign making) and has little commercial use.

John

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

Except for very small operations such as a hospital refilling their
own "E" tanks, oxygen is NOT compressed. Much more efficient to boil
the liquid.

Even when an oxygen compressor is used, it contains no nylon. The
nylon would diesel on the compression stroke. My experience with
breathing air and oxygen compressors is that they use a mica-graphite
compound for seals and piston rings.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
I'm still curious as to how one can have compounds in a 100% or
even 99.9% Oxy environment.

http://www.documentation.emersonproc...100071x012.pdf
:
http://www.ozoneapplications.com/inf..._materials.htm
http://www.ozoneservices.com/articles/004.htm

Mixtures of active materials may not spontaneously react:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activation_energy

That's why we can store and handle high explosives.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

1) So are you saying that they put a measured quantity of liquid oxygen in a tank, seal it and let it boil off to a known pressure?

2) is there less expensive neon available? What would be the consequence (color difference, maybe?) of using it? Just wondering.

JPB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_separation

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

thanks. More information I will never use, but it does keep the brain lubricated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good. Try your well-oiled brain on the Riddle of the Sphinx:

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three in
the afternoon?
-Sophocles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

me, though the three is not so often yet, depending on a number of things.

What has four wheels and flies?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Alrighty then... we both qualify for second grade. So, to kick it up a notch: what starts with "F" and ends with "UCK?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Good. Try your well-oiled brain on the Riddle of the Sphinx:

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three in
the afternoon?

A person: crawls on all fours, walks upright, uses a stick.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:42:25 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

thanks. More information I will never use, but it does keep the
brain lubricated.

Good. Try your well-oiled brain on the Riddle of the Sphinx:

What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three
in
the afternoon?
-Sophocles

me, though the three is not so often yet, depending on a number of
things.

What has four wheels and flies?

A garbage truck.

Alrighty then... we both qualify for second grade. So, to kick it up a notch: what starts with "F" and ends with "UCK?"

Frozen fish truck.

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

Alrighty then... we both qualify for second grade. So, to kick it
up a notch: what starts with "F" and ends with "UCK?"

Firetruck

Here's a real puzzle that remains to be solved.

The RMS Titanic broke in half at the surface and spilled some of its
coal and boilers, which fell in a small cluster that almost certainly
marks the breakup position. However the Captain's hasty initial
distress message placed the ship 20 miles further west, almost an
hour's steaming and much more than the uncertainty of clear weather
navigation back then. They had taken a star sight only 4 hours earlier
and were accurate within about a more typical mile in latitude.
Titanic subsequently radioed a corrected position that was still 14
miles too far westward, on the far side of the ice field.
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.or...hart-jpg.1388/

The rescue ships headed for the reported position instead of the
actual one and the survivors were fortunate that their lifeboats had
drifted toward the track of Carpathia, whose captain covered up the
error by claiming he rushed to the SOS position at a miraculously high
speed. No one knew better until Ballard found the wreck.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

What has four wheels and flies?

Ed Huntress, he has lots of flies!

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

It ate too many fermented bananas.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

What has four wheels and flies?

A garbage truck.

All of the Garbage trucks that I've seen have dual rear wheels.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

What has four wheels and flies?

A garbage truck.

All of the Garbage trucks that I've seen have dual rear wheels.

It was a manure wagon in the original Latin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news - hide quoted text -
[...]

I don't know, but have you seen the chimp running with the dog video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SYboDdRNVE

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen? Some Guy Home Repair 180 April 20th 20 04:23 PM
Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen? Oren[_2_] Home Ownership 1 April 10th 14 05:18 AM
Oxygen Jeweller[_2_] UK diy 6 May 10th 13 09:46 AM
Oxygen Bleach alexander.keys1 UK diy 51 February 17th 07 09:40 AM
Oxygen Samantha BeanHead Metalworking 15 January 5th 05 12:19 AM