Old February 12th 17, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aviators oxygen vs welding or medical oxygen.

So I got a cylinder from a friend, that is a Avox System 9700 series, 11.0 CU FT 1800 PSI. Which I really really like, but I am confuse about if I have to refill it which O2 should I use, what if I just can not get aviators oxygen?

Actually I just don't know much about this.

Can someone help me?

Old February 12th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In Robert Nichols writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

Old February 12th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"danny burstein" wrote in message
news

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/i...ygen-different

Old February 12th 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:01:33 -0800, cecilioucr wrote:

So I got a cylinder from a friend, that is a Avox System 9700 series,
11.0 CU FT 1800 PSI. Which I really really like, but I am confuse about
if I have to refill it which O2 should I use, what if I just can not get
aviators oxygen?

Actually I just don't know much about this.

Can someone help me?

IIRC oxygen for human consumption has CO2 mixed in. The pathways that
regulate breathing sense blood CO2 concentration and make you breath
faster when it goes up -- and let you stop breathing when it goes down
close to zero.

Feel free to Google around and double check. I suspect that a welding
supply place wouldn't want to mess with refilling it, but you could check.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Old February 12th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:51:11 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Robert Nichols writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

I used to own a welding supply distributorship. We sold both medical
and industrial oxygen.

Medical and welding tanks connected to the exact same fill header. The
difference is that we had to test the welding oxygen for dewpoint (-50
deg F if I recall correctly) while it didn't matter for medical
oxygen.

For the medical oxygen, we had to have an FDA license and keep track
of lot numbers. Though not required, we recorded the oxygen purity
for each lot.

The other difference is that the green medical oxygen cylinders had to
be internally thoroughly cleaned before initial use to eliminate any
potential particulate sources.

Bottom line: welding oxygen is of higher quality than medical oxygen.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Old February 12th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:35:05 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

IIRC oxygen for human consumption has CO2 mixed in.

NO! At least for medical oxygen. No idea about aviation oxygen but
since the oxygen for commercial pilots comes from a LOX tank, I doubt
that aviation oxygen has anything added either.

The pathways that
regulate breathing sense blood CO2 concentration and make you breath
faster when it goes up -- and let you stop breathing when it goes down
close to zero.

This is true to a point but most anyone on medical oxygen has a
respiratory or other problem that keeps their O2 sat low. A normal
person will have a sat level of from 98 to 100%. The standard of care
for starting long term oxygen therapy is 89%, a level that has the
patient gasping for breath.

I was on concentrator-produced oxygen for several years after a spinal
injury severed the nerves that drive my left diaphragm. I had a
surgical procedure done by robot called a hemidiaphragmatic plication
where the surgeon tied the two diaphragm muscles together. I regained
enough lung capacity to get off the oxygen.

My O2 sat while I was on the concentrators ran around 95%. Plenty of
CO2 in my system to keep me breathing just fine.

I have an oxygen concentration meter that I used to check used
concentrators before I bought them. A new machine will produce 99%
pure oxygen. A machine with a couple of years on it will drop to
97-98%. The sieve columns are replaced at 95%.

Old February 13th 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at
http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of
welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting
purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/info/i...ygen-different

Very interesting, indeed.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen? Some Guy Home Repair 174 June 22nd 17 02:37 PM
Can welding Oxygen be used in place of medical oxygen? Oren[_2_] Home Ownership 1 April 10th 14 04:18 AM
Oxygen Jeweller[_2_] UK diy 6 May 10th 13 08:46 AM
Oxygen Bleach alexander.keys1 UK diy 51 February 17th 07 08:40 AM
Oxygen Samantha BeanHead Metalworking 15 January 4th 05 11:19 PM