Shabs

Default Is MCB dependent on cable thickness.?

I have been further looking at my consumer unit installation (had
problems previously) and noticed my "cooker" feed has 6mm T+E cable
but no electric cooker. Furthermore i have no intention of ever
buying an electric cooker. Instead it is being used as a feed for the
boiler, washing machine, fridge, and microwave. It has now
effectively become a radial socket circuit.

Because the initial wire is 6mm for about 4-5 metres which has a
socket attached, then a spur to a further double socket, am i correct
in thinking a 40amp MCB is too high for this purpose? Would a 32amp
or 16amp be more appropriate or is this not the case due to the cable
being 6mm and requiring a 40a mcb regardless of use.

Thanks in advance.
Christian McArdle

Because the initial wire is 6mm for about 4-5 metres which has a
socket attached, then a spur to a further double socket, am i correct
in thinking a 40amp MCB is too high for this purpose?

It should have a 32A MCB (or less, but given its use 32A is more appropriate
than a lower value). Ensure it is correctly labelled at the consumer unit.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Shabs wrote:

I have been further looking at my consumer unit installation (had
problems previously) and noticed my "cooker" feed has 6mm T+E cable
but no electric cooker. Furthermore i have no intention of ever
buying an electric cooker. Instead it is being used as a feed for the
boiler, washing machine, fridge, and microwave. It has now
effectively become a radial socket circuit.

Because the initial wire is 6mm for about 4-5 metres which has a
socket attached, then a spur to a further double socket, am i correct
in thinking a 40amp MCB is too high for this purpose? Would a 32amp
or 16amp be more appropriate or is this not the case due to the cable
being 6mm and requiring a 40a mcb regardless of use.

Thanks in advance.

The idea is the MCB goes before the (putatively shorted cable) catches fire.

i.e. Make sure the MCB is the Ann Robisnon of your circuit.

Sparks

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Because the initial wire is 6mm for about 4-5 metres which has a
socket attached, then a spur to a further double socket, am i correct
in thinking a 40amp MCB is too high for this purpose?

It should have a 32A MCB (or less, but given its use 32A is more
appropriate
than a lower value). Ensure it is correctly labelled at the consumer unit.

I thought a radial had to have a 20A breaker?

Sparks...

Stefek Zaba

Sparks wrote:

I thought a radial had to have a 20A breaker?

Only if it's wired in 2.5mmsq. Depending on length and where they run,
32A radials are good with 4mmsq or 6mmsq.