Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 10th 18, 04:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,373
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?


P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.

  #2   Report Post  
Old July 10th 18, 06:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On 7/10/2018 11:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?


P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.


The windshields generally come without dots but the installer can add them using a Sharpie and a dot spacing template.

  #3   Report Post  
Old July 10th 18, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,460
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On 7/10/2018 11:25 AM, micky wrote:
I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?




Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.


They do serve a purpose and a new glass will have them too. There is a
frit band around the edge of the glass for the adhesive to stick to.
The halftone pattern is a transition and actually helps in temperature
distribution from the sun load. Frit is a baked on ceramic coating.
  #4   Report Post  
Old July 11th 18, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,094
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:25:38 -0400, micky
wrote:

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view
mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe,
or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun
in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones
that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace
the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at
its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?


P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked.
It did work 10 years ago on a different car.


Dots or tint gradient - either will work. You don't want a non=tinted
windsheild. Ask for OEM if possible
  #5   Report Post  
Old July 11th 18, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 418
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??


  #6   Report Post  
Old July 11th 18, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2017
Posts: 246
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On 7/10/2018 10:16 PM, wrote:
Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??


Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this
stuff, remember? LOL!
  #7   Report Post  
Old July 11th 18, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2008
Posts: 565
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 10:30:17 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 7/10/2018 10:16 PM, wrote:

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??


Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this
stuff, remember? LOL!

I think you nailed it.
  #8   Report Post  
Old July 11th 18, 01:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 700
Default black dots above rear-view mirror

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:37:01 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 10:30:17 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 7/10/2018 10:16 PM, wrote:

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??


Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this
stuff, remember? LOL!

I think you nailed it.


its still more on topic compared to the political rants
m
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear view vehicle cameras rear view vehicle cameras / [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 October 10th 15 01:00 AM
Rear view mirror Leo Lichtman[_2_] Metalworking 15 April 26th 09 12:01 AM
brokenm rear view mirror - help! Thomarse UK diy 4 October 26th 08 01:35 PM
Rear View Mirror.. Help! Thomarse UK diy 5 October 25th 08 05:45 PM
Rear View Mirror.. Help! Thomarse UK diy 0 October 25th 08 04:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017