Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rear view mirror

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

There is a wick and lock product but you better like where you put it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:
One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding,

Try wrapping a piece of abrasive paper around the ball.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have
a suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

My standard trick to increase friction is to peen it with a center punch.
You want to get a couple peened areas under the socket.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:25:33 -0700, the infamous "Leo Lichtman"
scrawled the following:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

I tightened a loose joint for a truck visor by removing it and
tensioning the spring more from the back with shims. See if you can
get to the spring on that mirror or "persuade" the sheetmetal cover
over the back to do that for you mit der punch unt hammah.

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Peen the socket sides with a center punch with the mirror properly
adjusted. Should give you a detent-type lock.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
eo Lichtman wrote:

One of the mirrors on my scooter sags while I am riding, so I have to keep
pushing it back up. It's the usual sheet metal ball-and-socket joint, and
does not appear to have any way to adjust the tightness. Does anyone have a
suggestion that might help? Lok-tite, maybe?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, guys. Several good ideas here. Now I have to decide in what order
to try them. Easy and likely to succeed go to the top of the list.
Difficult or likely to interfere with others I might want to try go to the
bottom. I think I'll try to find Wick and Lock, as suggested by Wes, since
these are convex mirrors, so exact position is not too critical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote: (clip) I have to believe a truck mirror for a
semi is cheaper than anything
lock tite sells.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote: (clip) I have to believe a truck mirror for a
semi is cheaper than anything
lock tite sells.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance
it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But still less than a squeeze bottle of Lok-tite?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 3:13*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Yeah, but I don't think a truck mirror on one side of my little scooter
would look right ;-).

* *Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance it. *Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

Don't forget horns to match.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: Then put on both mirrors, so you can balance
it. Of course, a good
set of mirrors might be worth more than the scooter.

But still less than a squeeze bottle of Lok-tite?

I didn't know they made reflective Loctite.