Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water taking too long to get to faucet

Just moved into a newly built house a few days ago. This morning, we gave up
trying to get hot water into our master bath after 30 minutes of waiting. The
water from the cold tap was pretty much equivalent to the water from the hot -
both cool (We are in FL). We have a tankless water heater (A O Smith 510) and
the tank was purposely placed on the wall right outside the master bath so it
would be close. Turned the water on upstairs, and about 5 minutes later, we
had hot water coming from tap. THen went back to master bath, and there was
hot water within a minute. But then, only an hour later, again tried to get
hot water in MB, and it took 2 minutes for the water to begin to get warm, but
then a blast of cold water came out and 8 minutes later, hot water showed up.
But it didn't last - after about 30 seconds, it was cold again, and stayed
that way for several minutes until it just became lukewarm, but I gave up at
that point and just turned it off. On the other side of the house (maybe 60
ft away), we never got anything more than lukewarm water. On those instances
where we did have hot water, it was really hot. But it never lasted.
Showering was an adventure. There are absolutely no controls on the hot water
heater. It is run by a remote, which we were never given by the builder, so we
can't even attempt to adjust the heater. But I doubt the heater itself is the
problem. Any ideas? THANKS

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1165346-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:44:04 GMT, SRQLI
m wrote:

[...]

A newly built house should have a warranty. Call the people you
bought it from and ask them to resolve the issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 11:44:08 AM UTC-4, SRQLI wrote:
[...]

First thing I'd do is go to that tankless water heater, remove any covers
as needed, so you can see it firing or not. As soon as the water flows,
it should immediately fire up. Make sure the gas line valve is fully
open. It's even possible they installed it with an inadequate gas supply
line. I guess a lesser possibility is they have some plumbing pipes
crossed up or something, but that seems less likely than a problem
with the heater.

I also agree with the other poster, if this is
a new house, I'd call the seller, builder, etc. The heater has a warranty
and they should either get the plumber back or tell you how to proceed.
Also, new homes around here typically have a warranty on everything for
at least a short period of time from the builder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SRQLI m wrote:

There are absolutely no controls on the hot water
heater. It is run by a remote, which we were never given by the builder, so we
can't even attempt to adjust the heater.

Srqli-

I doubt the heater has a remote control. It should fire-up
automatically as soon as water flows.

From your description of the problem, the hot water heater is not
working properly. Near the heater you should have a continuous supply
of hot water within seconds, not minutes. At a greater distance it
might take longer to get hot, but the supply should be continuous.

Why don't you get the builder to fix the problem? You may need a lawyer.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:50:56 +0000, None wrote:

A newly built house should have a warranty. Call the people you
bought it from and ask them to resolve the issue.

Ditto

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 1:19:07 PM UTC-4, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
SRQLI m wrote:

There are absolutely no controls on the hot water
heater. It is run by a remote, which we were never given by the builder, so we
can't even attempt to adjust the heater.

Srqli-

I doubt the heater has a remote control. It should fire-up
automatically as soon as water flows.

From your description of the problem, the hot water heater is not
working properly. Near the heater you should have a continuous supply
of hot water within seconds, not minutes.

Good point. I said it should fire immediately. Besides firing,
the water should be hot like you say within seconds and then stay
hot. It shouldn't be varying.

At a greater distance it
might take longer to get hot, but the supply should be continuous.

Why don't you get the builder to fix the problem? You may need a lawyer.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

SRQLI m wrote:

There are absolutely no controls on the hot water
heater. It is run by a remote, which we were never given by the builder, so we
can't even attempt to adjust the heater.

Srqli-

I doubt the heater has a remote control. It should fire-up
automatically as soon as water flows.

From your description of the problem, the hot water heater is not
working properly. Near the heater you should have a continuous supply
of hot water within seconds, not minutes.

Good point. I said it should fire immediately. Besides firing,
the water should be hot like you say within seconds and then stay
hot. It shouldn't be varying.

At a greater distance it
might take longer to get hot, but the supply should be continuous.

Why don't you get the builder to fix the problem? You may need a lawyer.

Fred

Â* I'm betting there's a proportioning valve in the system that's
malfunctioning ... can't have water hot enough to scald except at the
dishwasher these days .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:17:41 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Why don't you get the builder to fix the problem? You may need a lawyer.

Fred

* I'm betting there's a proportioning valve in the system that's
malfunctioning ... can't have water hot enough to scald except at the
dishwasher these days .

I don't know enough about the OP's unit. If it is gas, is it sized for
demand. Is the gas meter and pipes correct?

Saw one "new" construction when a wrong sized gas meter needed to be
replaced. An electric tankless is another matter.

OP will not see this reply. HGH (home groaners hub) filtered me in
2006.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2018 11:44 AM, SRQLI wrote:
Just moved into a newly built house a few days ago.Â* This morning, we
gave up
trying to get hot water into our master bath after 30 minutes of
waiting.Â* The
water from the cold tap was pretty much equivalent to the water from the
hot -
both cool (We are in FL). We have a tankless water heater (A O Smith
510) and
the tank was purposely placed on the wall right outside the master bath
so it
would be close.Â* Turned the water on upstairs, and about 5 minutes
later, we
had hot water coming from tap.Â*Â* THen went back to master bath, and
there was
hot water within a minute.Â* But then, only an hour later, again tried to
get
hot water in MB, and it took 2 minutes for the water to begin to get
warm, but
then a blast of cold water came out and 8 minutes later, hot water
showed up.
But it didn't last - after about 30 seconds, it was cold again, and stayed
that way for several minutes until it just became lukewarm, but I gave
up at
that point and just turned it off.Â*Â*Â* On the other side of the house
(maybe 60
ft away), we never got anything more than lukewarm water.Â* On those
instances
where we did have hot water, it was really hot.Â* But it never lasted.
Showering was an adventure.Â* There are absolutely no controls on the hot
water
heater. It is run by a remote, which we were never given by the builder,
so we
can't even attempt to adjust the heater. But I doubt the heater itself
is the
problem.Â*Â* Any ideas?Â* THANKS

I'm guessing here that a single handle faucet might be malfunctioning
and letting cold flow to the hot. I've seen this to a much lesser
degree in my previous house. As others have said, it's a warranty
issue, but if you want to troubleshoot it, try this. Using the shut off
valve under each sink, turn off the cold. It might not be (but could
be) the faucet where you were experiencing the problem, but probably one
in the area. BTW, as it is a new house, it could be a plumbing problem
where a drunk plumber somehow hooked hot to cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â* I'm betting there's a proportioning valve in the system that's
malfunctioning ...

or hooked in backwards...