Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default car stumbles going around corners but no MIL

For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 18:09:18 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones
wrote:

For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.
It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.
What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If you were to ever learn the make, model, year, engine
and transmission for the car - perhaps a kind responder
woiuld find it helpful .. ? Also, there are specific forums
for specific vehicles out there. - could also be helpful.
example http://www.kia-forums.com/forumindex.php
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bob J Jones wrote in
news
For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners,
where I can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so
now it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else
that makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily
around corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

does it do it differently depending on which direction you are turning? KB
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Bob J Jones wrote:
For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3/29/2018 2:09 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If you have a carburetor and take a corner really hard the gas can slosh
to one side and cause a stumble. Airplanes had to have the right setup
in order to fly inverted.

Of course, I'm making wild assumptions since you gave no other details.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

Could you please define what "stumbles" means. Does the engine stall,
does a wheel make a strange noise. Not enough factual details to even
make a guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3/29/2018 1:32 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob J Jones wrote:
For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.
--scott

Same for Corvairs. The fix is to re mount the carbs 90
degrees off so they don't slosh/starve in turns:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/4carbs.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 2:39:28 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/29/2018 2:09 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

If you have a carburetor and take a corner really hard the gas can slosh
to one side and cause a stumble. Airplanes had to have the right setup
in order to fly inverted.

Of course, I'm making wild assumptions since you gave no other details.

Since he says OBD and CEL, I don't think it could have a carb?
But it's another classic asking for car help and not identifying
what car it actually is. I'd suspect maybe sludge in the gas tank?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For about a year now, the car stumbles when going around corners, where I
can't figure out what the stumbling is due to.

It didn't used to be so consistent but it's getting worse over time so now
it's finally noticeable that it's the turns and not something else that
makes it stumble for a split second.

What should I look for to see why an engine stumbles momentarily around
corners, but doesn't set the CEL or any pending OBD codes?

Could you please define what "stumbles" means. Does the engine stall,
does a wheel make a strange noise. Not enough factual details to even
make a guess.

Something crawled out from under a bridge. NO car with a CEL has
carbs.

I'm betting on a bad CV joint IF this guy really DOES have the
problem described.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article , AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2018 1:32 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

If it's a Studebaker, check to see there's no junk at the bottom of the carb.
It fills up, and even a small sway to the side causes the fuel to slosh from
side to side and you get brief fuel starvation.

Same for Corvairs. The fix is to re mount the carbs 90
degrees off so they don't slosh/starve in turns:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...ast/4carbs.jpg

Yeah, that was an even worse design.

I've seen all kinds of weird things. Chrysler Laser (but for some reason not
the Dodge Daytona) used to break the right front engine mount all the time,
and when the engine shifted on acceleration into a left turn it closed down
the throttle as everything moved around.

Also seen really bizarre problems caused by missing engine ground straps.
Runs great when the engine's in one position, but shift it a quarter of an
inch and whatever it was grounding through isn't touching anymore.
--scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Clare Snyder
wrote:

Something crawled out from under a bridge. NO car with a CEL has
carbs.

I'm betting on a bad CV joint IF this guy really DOES have the
problem described.

It's a 530i BMW, so I don't think it has CV joints, and certainly no carb,
but it does have the original fuel filter and fuel pump, and the
transmission is a manual.

By stumbling, it seems like the fuel is starved, but only momentarily,
where I don't think fuel starvation is even possible given that it's fuel
injected so there should be no air in the lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 22:59:16 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones
wrote:

In , Clare Snyder
wrote:

Something crawled out from under a bridge. NO car with a CEL has
carbs.

I'm betting on a bad CV joint IF this guy really DOES have the
problem described.

It's a 530i BMW, so I don't think it has CV joints, and certainly no carb,
but it does have the original fuel filter and fuel pump, and the
transmission is a manual.

By stumbling, it seems like the fuel is starved, but only momentarily,
where I don't think fuel starvation is even possible given that it's fuel
injected so there should be no air in the lines.

Check for a bad engine ground and DEFINITELY replace the fuel filter.

Left and right the same? How about different speeds or rates of turn?
Any difference between full and almost empty tank?

Are you downshifting for the corner? does it happen on a curve in the
road or only whenturning at an intersection?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

By stumbling, it seems like the fuel is starved, but only momentarily,
where I don't think fuel starvation is even possible given that it's fuel
injected so there should be no air in the lines.

Is the fuel pump in the gas tank (sender unit) going bad?

I've had it happen. It gets worse in the hot desert climate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 5:59:22 PM UTC-5, Bob J Jones wrote:
In , Clare Snyder
wrote:

Something crawled out from under a bridge. NO car with a CEL has
carbs.

I'm betting on a bad CV joint IF this guy really DOES have the
problem described.

It's a 530i BMW, so I don't think it has CV joints, and certainly no carb,
but it does have the original fuel filter and fuel pump, and the
transmission is a manual.

By stumbling, it seems like the fuel is starved, but only momentarily,
where I don't think fuel starvation is even possible given that it's fuel
injected so there should be no air in the lines.

I had a similar problem with a vehicle that has TBI and I solved the problem by dropping the fuel tank, removing the in-tank fuel pump and cleaning the trash off the pickup screen. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fuel Monster