Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4 mil vapor Barrier versus 6 mil ??

Converting 300 sq ft garage into family room. Installing full floor
above garage concrete slab. I want to put a polyethylene vapor barrier
on the concrete.

Most places I read recommend 6 mil polyethylene. Home Depot selling
for $50.

When cleaning out the garage I found a brand new box of 4 mil
polyethylene that my Dad had given me.

Would it be a problem if I used the 4 mil that I have, instead of
buying 6 mil?

I have a giant box. Can I double-up the 4 mil, creating a 8 mil
barrier?

Thanks,

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 7:49�pm, wrldruler wrote:
Converting 300 sq ft garage into family room. Installing full floor
above garage concrete slab. I want to put a polyethylene vapor barrier
on the concrete.

Most places I read recommend 6 mil polyethylene. Home Depot selling
for $50.

When cleaning out the garage I found a brand new box of 4 mil
polyethylene that my Dad had given me.

Would it be a problem if I used the 4 mil that I have, instead of
buying 6 mil?

I have a giant box. Can I double-up the 4 mil, creating a 8 mil
barrier?

Thanks,

Chris

might be ok if all seams sealed and overlapped. but plastic isnt
forever. how old is it?

if your getting a permit run it by the local code enforcement building
inspector
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 11:04*pm, " wrote:
On Sep 20, 7:49 pm, wrldruler wrote:

Converting 300 sq ft garage into family room. Installing full floor
above garage concrete slab. I want to put a polyethylene vapor barrier
on the concrete.

Most places I read recommend 6 mil polyethylene. Home Depot selling
for $50.

When cleaning out the garage I found a brand new box of 4 mil
polyethylene that my Dad had given me.

Would it be a problem if I used the 4 mil that I have, instead of
buying 6 mil?

I have a giant box. Can I double-up the 4 mil, creating a 8 mil
barrier?

Thanks,

Chris

might be ok if all seams sealed and overlapped. but plastic isnt
forever. how old is it?

if your getting a permit run it by the local code enforcement building
inspector- Hide quoted text -

Prob Ok if never exposed to sunlight!
But 300sq ft. of 6 mil not very expensive? Assuming you have to
insulate and vapour barrier the walls (unless they are already
insulated and vapour barriered) use the 4 mil for that? Also what
about the ceiling insulation and vapour barrier for a room that will
now be heated, occupied by living breathing people and other
activities that put out moisture; is that insulated and vapour
barriered?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:49:31 -0700 (PDT), wrldruler
wrote:

Converting 300 sq ft garage into family room. Installing full floor
above garage concrete slab. I want to put a polyethylene vapor barrier
on the concrete.

Most places I read recommend 6 mil polyethylene. Home Depot selling
for $50.

When cleaning out the garage I found a brand new box of 4 mil
polyethylene that my Dad had given me.

Would it be a problem if I used the 4 mil that I have, instead of
buying 6 mil?

I have a giant box. Can I double-up the 4 mil, creating a 8 mil
barrier?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Polyethylene is an extraordinary VB.

(I won't bore you with the details, but I use .1 mil for
certain purposes, and it does the job.)

So, in your situation, the issue is fragility rather than
the thickness needed to provide a barrier to the migration
of moisture.

I would say "yes," you could use the 4 mil (and be careful
to avoid tearing it.) Or, double it, and sleep a bit better.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

liquid vapor barrier [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 9th 08 08:33 PM
Vapor barrier? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 21st 06 05:56 PM
vapor barrier question with kraft faced batts and radiant barrier foil [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 4th 05 05:39 PM
Vapor Barrier Sasha Home Repair 1 July 20th 05 07:43 PM
vapor barrier effi Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 09:32 PM