Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Painting Problems

My painter, spray painted over 7 windows that had not been scraped or sanded.
Now I am unsure about how to handle. I am guessing that the new paint needs to
be removed completely and then the windows need to be scraped, sanded and
primed and repainted? I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that
the new team does it correctly. Additionally they painted the doors and
shutters in a gloss with brush strokes in every direction and the strokes
really show. : ( Their intent from there was to roll over the shutter and
they say that the strokes will not show? I am really flustered. I need precise
advice on to handle please.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1161555-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-4, Susan Wingard wrote:
My painter, spray painted over 7 windows that had not been scraped or sanded.
Now I am unsure about how to handle. I am guessing that the new paint needs to
be removed completely and then the windows need to be scraped, sanded and
primed and repainted?

Did it have loose paint that required it to be scraped and sanded?
If there is no loose, peeling paint, then just pressure washing it
is sufficient.

I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that
the new team does it correctly.

If it's limited to a couple spots that had peeling paint, then maybe
you can get away just scraping those, spot painting them, then another
coat over the whole thing. If it's more extensive, then probably the
only sure method is to strip it all. For example if there is a lot
of loose paint, it was dirty and not power washed and they put paint
over it, you have a real mess. Even the non-peeling areas, if they
were dirty, the paint may not adhere well and come off in a year or two.
On the other hand if there was no visible dirt, while it should have
been power washed before painting, you might get away with it.

Additionally they painted the doors and
shutters in a gloss with brush strokes in every direction and the strokes
really show. : ( Their intent from there was to roll over the shutter and
they say that the strokes will not show? I am really flustered. I need precise
advice on to handle please.

If it has brush strokes I doubt rolling over it is going to make them
go away. Seems like they brushed what should have been sprayed and
vice versa. Window trim is typically brushed. Shutters, I'd spray.
If it was decent paint, a decent brush, and a decent painter, the
brush strokes should not be that noticeable. Once it has brush strokes
I think you're probably going to have to sand it to get rid of them.

For exterior doors, I like Minwax Gelstain, which gives a wood grain like
look to any wood or even fiberglass door. That leaves brush marks
but they wind up looking like woodgrain. It might be an option to
consider. You put a coat of paint that is a color similar to raw
wood on first, then the gelstain, then a couple coats of spar urethane.
All depends what you want it to look like and how much work you want
to do.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1161555-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2018 11:44 AM, Susan Wingard wrote:
My painter, spray painted over 7 windows that had not been scraped or sanded.
Now I am unsure about how to handle. I am guessing that the new paint needs to
be removed completely and then the windows need to be scraped, sanded and
primed and repainted? I would like to know how to best handle to ensure that
the new team does it correctly. Additionally they painted the doors and
shutters in a gloss with brush strokes in every direction and the strokes
really show. : (Â* Their intent from there was to roll over the shutter and
they say that the strokes will not show? I am really flustered. I need precise
advice on to handle please.

Let me guess, your "painters" work cheaper if you pay in cash, right?

advice type="precise"

Obviously you hired some cash-hacks.Â* Next time, hire a real paint company.Â* They're worth every cent!

/advice

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 15:44:03 GMT, Susan Wingard
m wrote:

I need precise advice on to handle please.

Fire everybody, even sue their pets and then start over. Go back to
where the problem started is what I would do!

For brush strokes see: FLOETROL®

https://www.flood.com/products/paint-additives/floetrol-latex-based-paint-additive

....Use in interior or exterior latex or water-based paints and primers
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I need precise advice on to handle please.

Fire everybody, even sue their pets and then start over. Go back to
where the problem started is what I would do!

For brush strokes see: FLOETROL®

That's for preventing them, she already has them.