Pentranch

Default Preparing exterior walls for painting

I have a newly built cavity block walled extension with cement render
coating which I need to paint to match the rest of the house. It is
not particularly exposed.

What prep does it need? Some say ordinary masonry paint after a good
brushing, others a stabiliser which will be expensive and others a
coat of PVA mixed to 5 parts water. Anyone had a good experience?
Mike Taylor

the best way is to read the relevant literature with the paint.
Generally if the wall is sound, previously painted areas , if any are also
sound and free from growth such as moss then several coats of the masonry
paint is the best. By several I mean whatever the manufacturer recommends
depending on the colour chosen and what the colour is you are painting over.
Stabiliser is only needed when the surface you are applying it to is poo,
flaking or very dusty. On a new rendered surface I would just use 2 (or
perhaps 3) coats of a quality masonry paint

stuart noble

N. Thornton wrote in message ...
(Ged) wrote in message

. com...
(Pentranch) wrote in message

. com...
I have a newly built cavity block walled extension with cement render
coating which I need to paint to match the rest of the house. It is
not particularly exposed.

What prep does it need? Some say ordinary masonry paint after a good
brushing, others a stabiliser which will be expensive and others a
coat of PVA mixed to 5 parts water. Anyone had a good experience?

Have been painting the outside of my house several months ago. It
talked about weathered areas need stabilised...For the first time in
my life ( mainly due to time constraints ) I slapped on the sandtex
without undertaking " proper " prep..Suffice to say 3 months on, its
not flaked, fallen off and still looks great..Perhaps I've just been
lucky but I suspect the old coat would have to be pretty shoddy if
stabiliser would be needed..

Here I got paint falling off, dirt and welded-on plant growth on the
wall. Screwfix stabiliser is £22 a gallon, and they got several types
of masonry paint, including one at 18 a gallon that says it does its
own stabilising as well. Would that be the one to go for?

BTW I did some painting last year with their £11 water based masonry
paint, and its already falling off. It was a real quickie job and I
did minimum prep.

Any gurulike advice appreciated.

Pliolite masonry paints stick like **** to a blanket.

N. Thornton

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote in message ...

Here I got paint falling off, dirt and welded-on plant growth on the
wall. Screwfix stabiliser is £22 a gallon, and they got several types
of masonry paint, including one at 18 a gallon that says it does its
own stabilising as well. Would that be the one to go for?

BTW I did some painting last year with their £11 water based masonry
paint, and its already falling off. It was a real quickie job and I
did minimum prep.

Any gurulike advice appreciated.

Pliolite masonry paints stick like **** to a blanket.

Right ta - thats the one I was looking at. Looks like fairly evil
stuff though fume wise. Am I going to turn people into walking zombies
with this stuff?

Regards, NT
stuart noble

N. Thornton wrote in message ...
Right ta - thats the one I was looking at. Looks like fairly evil
stuff though fume wise. Am I going to turn people into walking zombies
with this stuff?

You hardly notice the smell outdoors. Johnstones had magnolia on special
recently if you have a supplier locally.