Ged

Default Preparing exterior walls for painting

(Pentranch) wrote in message . com...
I have a newly built cavity block walled extension with cement render
coating which I need to paint to match the rest of the house. It is
not particularly exposed.

What prep does it need? Some say ordinary masonry paint after a good
brushing, others a stabiliser which will be expensive and others a
coat of PVA mixed to 5 parts water. Anyone had a good experience?

My DIY / semi pro head opinion - yes, expensive stabiliser.
My hands on opinion - one coat sandtex masonary paint..

Have been painting the outside of my house several months ago. It
talked about weathered areas need stabilised...For the first time in
my life ( mainly due to time constraints ) I slapped on the sandtex
without undertaking " proper " prep..Suffice to say 3 months on, its
not flaked, fallen off and still looks great..Perhaps I've just been
lucky but I suspect the old coat would have to be pretty shoddy if
stabiliser would be needed..

Give it a try on a small area first!