stuart noble

Default Preparing exterior walls for painting

N. Thornton wrote in message ...
(Ged) wrote in message

. com...
(Pentranch) wrote in message

. com...
I have a newly built cavity block walled extension with cement render
coating which I need to paint to match the rest of the house. It is
not particularly exposed.

What prep does it need? Some say ordinary masonry paint after a good
brushing, others a stabiliser which will be expensive and others a
coat of PVA mixed to 5 parts water. Anyone had a good experience?

Have been painting the outside of my house several months ago. It
talked about weathered areas need stabilised...For the first time in
my life ( mainly due to time constraints ) I slapped on the sandtex
without undertaking " proper " prep..Suffice to say 3 months on, its
not flaked, fallen off and still looks great..Perhaps I've just been
lucky but I suspect the old coat would have to be pretty shoddy if
stabiliser would be needed..

Here I got paint falling off, dirt and welded-on plant growth on the
wall. Screwfix stabiliser is £22 a gallon, and they got several types
of masonry paint, including one at 18 a gallon that says it does its
own stabilising as well. Would that be the one to go for?

BTW I did some painting last year with their £11 water based masonry
paint, and its already falling off. It was a real quickie job and I
did minimum prep.

Any gurulike advice appreciated.

Pliolite masonry paints stick like **** to a blanket.