Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Change

I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who checked
the oil showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it and
hope to put another 120k on .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who checked
the oilÂ* showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it and
hope to put another 120k on .

RTFM and change it at whatever interval the manufacturer recommends.

As an aside, unless you've been putting vegetable oil or hair
conditioner in there, 2500 miles is way too frequent.

--
You're entitled to your own views. You're not entitled to your own facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 12:33 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who
checked the oilÂ* showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it
and hope to put another 120k on .

RTFM and change it at whatever interval the manufacturer recommends.

As an aside, unless you've been putting vegetable oil or hair
conditioner in there, 2500 miles is way too frequent.

Thanks. I think the manual recommends 3000k so I will go with that from
now on.

At least I know the place is honest. He topped off the other fluids and
did not charge me anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 10:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
vegetable oil or hair conditioner

Silly. Everyone knows you are suppose to use bacon fat!

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 10:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
2500 miles is way too frequent.

My old Pontiac proved that oil can leak through solid metal.
I never had to change the oil, although I did. My oil
changes were all across the roads, in my parking space ...

Went through a quart every two weeks. Spent about $3000
over the years trying to fix that. No joy.

My current Subi doesn't leak a drop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who
checked the oilÂ* showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it
and hope to put another 120k on .

How long does it take for you to rack up the 2500 miles ?

As a retiree, who no longer makes a 45 min each way commute on an
Interstate, it now takes me a year to rack up 2500 miles. My 2008 only
has 38,000 miles on it now.

So with a greater % of time spent idling at lights etc, and more short
trips vs long, I change oil every 6 months "whether it needs it or
not", and regardless of mileage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:14:26 -0600, philo wrote in

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I change my oil and filter ever 5000 miles. Been doing that for the
past 50 years. Never had a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 12:54 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Yes. Since I only drive 5000 a year or so, probably I should just do it
every six months

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 2:11 PM, philo wrote:

So with a greater % of time spent idling at lights etc, and more short
trips vs long, I change oil every 6 months "whether it needs it or
not", and regardless of mileage.

Yes. Since I only drive 5000 a year or so, probably I should just do it
every six months

I agree with that. Both oils and engines have greatly improved over the
years and most car makers are in the 7500 mile range. I did that for
years, but traded by 75,000 or three years. Now that I'm retired and
drive less, I'll probably go for 5,000 miles. This winter I drove less
than ever. Bought a new car at the end of October and have 2200 miles
so far. Though I will put on 3000 more by the end of the month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My car is a 2006 Vibe and I only put on 5000 -6000 miles a year

If you only need 2 oil changes per year -
don't sweat the mileage detail.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:55:08 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I have been driving Toyatos and one of them said 7500. My 2017 Toyota
says every 10,000 unless severe conditions. It does use the synthetic
oil. Everything else was regular oil.

Synthetic oil claims it lasts longer, and dont need to be changed as
often. Supposedly it lasts longer. I've never used it, so I am only
quoting what I was told. I figure if a car had regular oil when it was
made, thats what I use. If you switch to synthetic, there is still a
fair amount of regular oil in it. Blending them does not seem like a
good idea, which is why I have never used the synthetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 1:40 PM, T wrote:
On 02/08/2018 10:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
vegetable oil or hair conditioner

Silly.Â* Everyone knows you are suppose to use bacon fat!

:-)

My car started oinking at start up so I stopped using it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:33:01 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who checked
the oil* showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it and
hope to put another 120k on .

RTFM and change it at whatever interval the manufacturer recommends.

As an aside, unless you've been putting vegetable oil or hair
conditioner in there, 2500 miles is way too frequent.

Not if the miles go on 1-5 at a time over a 4 month period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:11:40 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/08/2018 01:06 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:14:26 -0600, philo wrote in

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I change my oil and filter ever 5000 miles. Been doing that for the
past 50 years. Never had a problem.

Sounds reasonable.

Unless it takes 10 months to put on that 5000 - - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 2:09 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/08/2018 12:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Thanks. I think the manual recommends 3000k so I will go with that from
now on.

At least I know the place is honest. He topped off the other fluids and
did not charge me anything.

What kind of car and what year only goes 3000 miles now ?Â* I know the
older ones did,but that was many years ago.

I have been driving Toyatos and one of them said 7500.Â* My 2017 Toyota
says every 10,000 unless severe conditions.Â* It does use the synthetic
oil.Â* Everything else was regular oil.

I had a 1991 Toyota and put 200,000 on it.Â* Changed the oil 2 times per
year needed or not.Â* Usually put about 12,000 miles on it a year. I
think it was recommended at 7500 miles.Â* My truck does not get driven
very many miles now and I change it once a year even if it does not need
it.Â* The truck is seldom used to haul very much, so it is light duty
use.

My car is a 2006 Vibe and I only put on 5000 -6000 miles a year

Manuals normally say so many miles or so many months. My last car which
said 7,000 miles or 3 months, I did every 6 months.

Car now uses synthetic oil so I'm changing annually. Now the newer cars
will tell you when. It was funny that car gave me a year on the first
oil change but went to 6 months for the second. Dealer has a nasty
habit of recommending half what the manual does and had set the computer
at 6 months. So, I reset it to a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 5:41 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/8/2018 2:09 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/08/2018 12:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

[snip]

My car is a 2006 Vibe and I only put on 5000 -6000 miles a year

Manuals normally say so many miles or so many months.Â* My last car which
said 7,000 miles or 3 months, I did every 6 months.

Car now uses synthetic oil so I'm changing annually.Â* Now the newer cars
will tell you when.Â* It was funny that car gave me a year on the first
oil change but went to 6 months for the second.Â* Dealer has a nasty
habit of recommending half what the manual does and had set the computer
at 6 months.Â* So, I reset it to a year.

Not sure the dealer can change the interval in that fashion, but with a
computer involved I won't discount it. Those mileage minders generally
work on different principle (see below).

1. Read & follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

2. Many (most?) newer cars have a DIC (Driver's Information Center) with
that calculates the proper oil change interval based not only on the
type of driving, but the total miles driven and time line (?) between
changes.

FWIW, there was quite a bit of chatter a few years back on the auto
forums about a bit of a dustup with General Motors and their dealers
where GM was strongly suggesting that the dealers follow the
recommendation that motorist's heed the oil change recommendations
provided by the DIC rather than the old "Every 3,000 miles).

I've seen pretty much the same recommendation in recent years with GM,
MOPAR and HONDA cars we've owned. I think that ALL also state that
regardless of the info provided by the DIC, oil should be changed every
year. Depending on which car, I see an oil change required anywhere
from 6,500 to 8,500 miles on the daily driver. The Corvette gets an oil
change every Fall with, 5,000 miles use during the year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 04:14 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:55:08 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

Thanks. I think the manual recommends 3000k so I will go with that from
now on.

At least I know the place is honest. He topped off the other fluids and
did not charge me anything.

What kind of car and what year only goes 3000 miles now ? I know the
older ones did,but that was many years ago.

I have been driving Toyatos and one of them said 7500. My 2017 Toyota
says every 10,000 unless severe conditions. It does use the synthetic
oil. Everything else was regular oil.

With regular oil 90% of North American driving falls i nto the
"severe" category

Short trips where the engine does not get up to full temp for 20
minutes or more is "severe" by the OEM definition.

All of the cars with "coking" problems have no problem if serviced
according to the severe schedule and/or using Synthetic oil.

I had a 1991 Toyota and put 200,000 on it. Changed the oil 2 times per
year needed or not. Usually put about 12,000 miles on it a year. I
think it was recommended at 7500 miles. My truck does not get driven
very many miles now and I change it once a year even if it does not need
it. The truck is seldom used to haul very much, so it is light duty
use.

I take relatively short trips but at least once or twice a month take a
long one. I know that if I only used the car for short trips, that would
be bad for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 01:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/8/2018 2:11 PM, philo wrote:

So with a greater % of time spent idling at lights etc, and more
short trips vs long, I change oil every 6 months "whether it needs it
or not", and regardless of mileage.

Yes. Since I only drive 5000 a year or so, probably I should just do
it every six months

I agree with that.Â* Both oils and engines have greatly improved over the
years and most car makers are in the 7500 mile range.Â* I did that for
years, but traded by 75,000 or three years.Â* Now that I'm retired and
drive less, I'll probably go for 5,000 miles.Â* This winter I drove less
than ever.Â* Bought a new car at the end of October and have 2200 miles
so far.Â* Though I will put on 3000 more by the end of the month.

Just heard from a buddy of mine who lives in northern Wisconsin and he
uses synthetic and changes his oil every 7 -8000 miles.

He hits deer from time to time and if his vehicle has over 180k he'll
junk it.

He said he pulled the heads on a few and there was zero detectable wear.

That said, I will probably stay with just regular oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2018 04:19 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:11:40 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/08/2018 01:06 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 12:14:26 -0600, philo wrote in

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I change my oil and filter ever 5000 miles. Been doing that for the
past 50 years. Never had a problem.

Sounds reasonable.

Unless it takes 10 months to put on that 5000 - - - -

Actually it may take ten months to go that far so will be sure no matter
what to get the oil changed at least twice a year regardless of the
mileage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
I always get my oil changed every 2500 miles.

Took it in today a bit early...maybe 2000 miles and the guy who checked
the oilÂ* showed me the dipstick and was puzzled as it looked new.

Said I did not need my oil changed yet...so I left.

I've always heard that one should get the oil changed even if it does
not look dirty.

Should I return in 500 miles or let it go just a bit longer?

I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. Car has 120k on it and
hope to put another 120k on .

RTFM and change it at whatever interval the manufacturer recommends.

As an aside, unless you've been putting vegetable oil or hair
conditioner in there, 2500 miles is way too frequent.

Not if the miles go on 1-5 at a time over a 4 month period.

You folks are certainly fanatic about oil. If mine gets changed every
2 or 3 years I am really being diligent. I put over 100k miles on my
cars and the other stuff is always shot long before I have any kind of
engine problems. I suppose it would be wise to track your cars and
get the engine when it is junked for something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 5:41 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/8/2018 2:09 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/08/2018 12:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

[snip]

My car is a 2006 Vibe and I only put on 5000 -6000 miles a year

Manuals normally say so many miles or so many months.Â* My last car
which said 7,000 miles or 3 months, I did every 6 months.

Car now uses synthetic oil so I'm changing annually.Â* Now the newer
cars will tell you when.Â* It was funny that car gave me a year on the
first oil change but went to 6 months for the second.Â* Dealer has a
nasty habit of recommending half what the manual does and had set the
computer at 6 months.Â* So, I reset it to a year.

Not sure the dealer can change the interval in that fashion, but with a
computer involved I won't discount it.Â* Those mileage minders generally
work on different principle (see below).

1. Read & follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

2. Many (most?) newer cars have a DIC (Driver's Information Center) with
that calculates the proper oil change interval based not only on the
type of driving, but the total miles driven and time line (?) between
changes.

Â*Â*Â*Â*FWIW, there was quite a bit of chatter a few years back on the auto
forums about a bit of a dustup with General Motors and their dealers
where GM was strongly suggesting that the dealers follow the
recommendation that motorist's heed the oil change recommendations
provided by the DIC rather than the old "Every 3,000 miles).

Â*Â*Â*Â*I've seen pretty much the same recommendation in recent years with
GM, MOPAR and HONDA cars we've owned.Â* I think that ALL also state that
regardless of the info provided by the DIC, oil should be changed every
year.Â* Depending on which car, I see an oil change required anywhere
from 6,500 to 8,500 miles on the daily driver.Â* The Corvette gets an oil
change every Fall with, 5,000 miles use during the year.

No, the dealer can do it.

When I went in for the first oil change, other reminder lights had come
on and when I went to leave one was still on so I told the dealer to
correct it which he did. That means he set it. It was not hard for me
to look up how to change it from 6 months to a year. In fact I could
have made it longer or shorter.

I recall several years ago when a friend changed his own oil on a new
Toyota but the light still came on. He needed to go to the dealer to
have it reset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 8:16 PM, Frank wrote:

I recall several years ago when a friend changed his own oil on a new
Toyota but the light still came on.Â* He needed to go to the dealer to
have it reset.

Some you just push a button. Others, you put it in neutral, get out and
run around the car, counterclockwise, push a button twice while putting
down the passenger window. That'll teach you to go to the dealer for
changes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My employer has us pull an oil sample and send it in for analysis.

We change oil on the vehicle when the test says it needs it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2018 9:11 PM, TimR wrote:
My employer has us pull an oil sample and send it in for analysis.

We change oil on the vehicle when the test says it needs it.

The RIGHT way to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/8/18 1:14 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Yep, change my oil every 7500 miles as recommended by manufacturer.
Sometimes takes 2 years, only 49K on a 2006. Not a fanatic.

I BUY my cars with 100,000 miles on them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/18 1:48 PM, T wrote:
On 02/08/2018 10:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
2500 miles is way too frequent.

My old Pontiac proved that oil can leak through solid metal.
I never had to change the oil, although I did.Â* My oil
changes were all across the roads, in my parking space ...

Went through a quart every two weeks.Â* Spent about $3000
over the years trying to fix that.Â* No joy.

My current Subi doesn't leak a drop.

Yup, had a '66 VW Beetle that developed that same condition after many
years and many miles. Had to add a quart at every gas tank fill up.

I told that to the woman I sold it too but she didn't believe me and
seized-up the engine the second week she had the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 13:54:38 -0500, Retired wrote:

So with a greater % of time spent idling at lights etc, and more short
trips vs long, I change oil every 6 months "whether it needs it or
not", and regardless of mileage.

Ditto. My 2008 Ranger now has 8300 miles on it. Oil and filter every
six months. Had to replace the tires after 4 years (dry rot, despite
the tires not ever getting direct sunshine where it is parked) and the
wiper blades twice so far....

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides