Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Final tale on new Trex deck

It was a week ago, guy parks on street, steps out of car with a
clipboard while I was in the drive way and says he's the county tax
assessor and needs to look at my deck.

All OK and no extra taxes on property as it replaced existing deck and
all building permits were in order.

Nice guy. I told him I did not like people like him and he said he
didn't either.

They have to come out and when they do they often find new additions and
the like done without required permits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 14:00:10 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

It was a week ago, guy parks on street, steps out of car with a
clipboard while I was in the drive way and says he's the county tax
assessor and needs to look at my deck.

All OK and no extra taxes on property as it replaced existing deck and
all building permits were in order.

Nice guy. I told him I did not like people like him and he said he
didn't either.

They have to come out and when they do they often find new additions and
the like done without required permits.

I did (had it done) an inside job with no permit. I did require the
contractor to provide all the details, like materials list, statement
of work, etc. When I sold the house the buyer (a real estate agent)
accepted the docs. It would have been rather easy to get the permit
late and pay a penalty to the county.

(new sig file :-)

--
" I told him I did not like people like him and he said he
didn't either." -- Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Frank, Iggy wrote:
Oh yeah, anything outdoors or bumping out the exterior better be by the book.
Around me, you get a higher assessment for just adding Central Air
Conditioning, doesn't matter if you had heating ducts before or not...I
haven't been able to get an explanation on that absurdity.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...k-1151942-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/17 1:00 PM, Frank wrote:
It was a week ago, guy parks on street, steps out of car with a
clipboard while I was in the drive way and says he's the county tax
assessor and needs to look at my deck.

All OK and no extra taxes on property as it replaced existing deck and
all building permits were in order.

Nice guy.Â* I told him I did not like people like him and he said he
didn't either.

There's a show called Parking Wars. Even the ticket writers
get a lot of
abuse. The booters work in pairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2017 6:44 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to Frank, Iggy wrote:
Oh yeah, anything outdoors or bumping out the exterior better be by the
book.
Around me, you get a higher assessment for just adding Central Air
Conditioning, doesn't matter if you had heating ducts before or not...I
haven't been able to get an explanation on that absurdity.

I told the story years ago about the guy coming out because I was
getting a new septic drain field, looking over and in my garage seeing
pull down stairs and assessed me for having a loft over the garage that
was not on the filing with the county.

I had to call his boss and insist that he come out to look at it. It
was not a room. I had taken out the small opening to the attic there,
put in a pull down step and put up a few fiber boards just for storing
stuff there.

They had upped my tax assessment but removed it after the boss saw it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2017 6:44 PM, Iggy wrote:
replying to Frank, Iggy wrote:
Oh yeah, anything outdoors or bumping out the exterior better be by the
book.
Around me, you get a higher assessment for just adding Central Air
Conditioning, doesn't matter if you had heating ducts before or not...I
haven't been able to get an explanation on that absurdity.

Central air increases the value of the house. value goes up taxes go
up. Simple concepts whether you like it or agree or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 5:50:04 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There's a show called Parking Wars. Even the ticket writers
get a lot of
abuse. The booters work in pairs.

I've been watching that show (re-runs) of late. Amazing all those
folks that can't read signs or if they do they don't think those
No Parking signs pertain to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2017 9:08 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 5:50:04 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There's a show called Parking Wars. Even the ticket writers
get a lot of
abuse. The booters work in pairs.

I've been watching that show (re-runs) of late. Amazing all those
folks that can't read signs or if they do they don't think those
No Parking signs pertain to them.

I did get a parking ticket about 40 years ago and yes, it was my fault.
I don't know how people can accumulate enough that they get booted and
towed. Ignorance? Arrogance? Just plain stupid?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 8:37:50 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/29/2017 9:08 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 5:50:04 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

There's a show called Parking Wars. Even the ticket writers
get a lot of
abuse. The booters work in pairs.

I've been watching that show (re-runs) of late. Amazing all those
folks that can't read signs or if they do they don't think those
No Parking signs pertain to them.

I did get a parking ticket about 40 years ago and yes, it was my fault.
I don't know how people can accumulate enough that they get booted and
towed. Ignorance? Arrogance? Just plain stupid?

I'm going with 50% arrogance and 50% stupid. If I remember correctly
the ones that get booted have about 7 or 8 parking tickets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2017 03:43 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
There are still places where there are no inspectors.

Those that choose to live where they are, you pay the price.
Higher taxes.....

Supporting life is expensive.Â* You'll need higher taxes if an area has a lot of lazy welfare democrats to support.

http://dailysignal.com/2011/05/25/pr...ospital-bills/

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote:
That's what I heard from my Commissioner and County Assessor. I said, "okay
what about all of these new windows, doors, siding, fancy landscaping's,
expanded driveways (big practice around here), kitchens, baths and even
finished basements...according to the County's Assessment Office or Your
Office, the building footprint wasn't increased so there's no assessment
increase". The Commissioner said, "well, they know what they're doing". The
County Assessor said, "I'll have to call you back", he never did and I
followed up twice. Thus, why I still don't have an answer.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...k-1151942-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 4:29 AM, wrote:
On 11/29/2017 03:43 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
There are still places where there are no inspectors.

Those that choose to live where they are, you pay the price.
Higher taxes.....

Supporting life is expensive.Â* You'll need higher taxes if an area has a
lot of lazy welfare democrats to support.

http://dailysignal.com/2011/05/25/pr...ospital-bills/

One son's father-in-law in lower Delaware has a house the size of mine
but property taxes are half. I asked him why that might be and he says,
"What party is in charge in New Castle County"? He's right.

When I first got in need of new deck I discovered all the rigamarole
needed with permits and inspections. In Sussex County where he lives
there are none required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 8:28 AM, Frank wrote:

One son's father-in-law in lower Delaware has a house the size of mine
but property taxes are half.Â* I asked him why that might be and he says,
"What party is in charge in New Castle County"?Â* He's right.

When I first got in need of new deck I discovered all the rigamarole
needed with permits and inspections.Â* In Sussex County where he lives
there are none required.

That's a rather simplistic conclusion. There are many differences other
than size of a house or land. There are dozens of factors that
determine the taxes. Compare the two towns or taxing authorities to
determine: cost of operating schools, street lighting, police and fire
services, snow removal, trash collection, recreation and parks, and a
boatload of others.

Then look at the potential income to the town. Single family
residences, commercial properties, industrial properties, personal
property or car taxes, fees for services.

When I lived in PA there was a small town with high taxes and mostly
well to do residents. The residents were happy to pay it because they
wanted a lot of services and did not want any industry moving in.

Best thing you can do is attend town meetings and make your voice heard
if you don't like the spending.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 10:20 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/30/2017 8:28 AM, Frank wrote:

One son's father-in-law in lower Delaware has a house the size of mine
but property taxes are half.Â* I asked him why that might be and he
says, "What party is in charge in New Castle County"?Â* He's right.

When I first got in need of new deck I discovered all the rigamarole
needed with permits and inspections.Â* In Sussex County where he lives
there are none required.

That's a rather simplistic conclusion.Â* There are many differences other
than size of a house or land.Â* There are dozens of factors that
determine the taxes.Â* Compare the two towns or taxing authorities to
determine: cost of operating schools, street lighting, police and fire
services, snow removal, trash collection, recreation and parks, and a
boatload of others.

Then look at the potential income to the town.Â* Single family
residences, commercial properties, industrial properties, personal
property or car taxes, fees for services.

When I lived in PA there was a small town with high taxes and mostly
well to do residents.Â* The residents were happy to pay it because they
wanted a lot of services and did not want any industry moving in.

Best thing you can do is attend town meetings and make your voice heard
if you don't like the spending.

That's right but both of us live on one acre lots with well and septic
and no municipal services but his county taxes are lower but so are his
school taxes. More retired people live there so there are less kids.
The county is starting to attract a lot of NJ retirees because taxes are
outrageous there.

We have developments here straddling the DE/PA border and an identical
house on the PA side will have 2X the DE property tax. School taxes in
PA are higher but schools are better but still out of proportion.

Someone was saying that the high tax states do not have any better
services than the low tax states. The high tax states have too many
state employees, higher state pensions and benefits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 12:03 PM, Frank wrote:
On 11/30/2017 10:20 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/30/2017 8:28 AM, Frank wrote:

One son's father-in-law in lower Delaware has a house the size of
mine but property taxes are half.Â* I asked him why that might be and
[...]

school taxes.Â* More retired people live there so there are less kids.
The county is starting to attract a lot of NJ retirees because taxes are
outrageous there.

We have developments here straddling the DE/PA border and an identical
house on the PA side will have 2X the DE property tax.Â* School taxes in
PA are higher but schools are better but still out of proportion.

Someone was saying that the high tax states do not have any better
services than the low tax states.Â* The high tax states have too many
state employees, higher state pensions and benefits.

Maybe it is different there, but we pay taxes on our property as
assessed by the town. All that money goes to the town and pays for town
services.

You can have millions of state employees and it does not affect real
estate taxes. It may affect state income of state sales taxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 14:32:54 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Someone was saying that the high tax states do not have any better
services than the low tax states.* The high tax states have too many
state employees, higher state pensions and benefits.

Maybe it is different there, but we pay taxes on our property as
assessed by the town. All that money goes to the town and pays for town
services.

You can have millions of state employees and it does not affect real
estate taxes. It may affect state income of state sales taxes.

In my county I can appeal any property tax increase. There is a
process.

My home footprint did not change when we built a deck cover over the
patio pad. As a Veteran, I actually get reductions on my property tax
and/or DMV taxes. I use most on the cars so the rest is credited to
the property tax.

.... fighting government when they let me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 2:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

his school taxes.Â* More retired people live there so there are less kids.
The county is starting to attract a lot of NJ retirees because taxes
are outrageous there.

We have developments here straddling the DE/PA border and an identical
house on the PA side will have 2X the DE property tax.Â* School taxes
in PA are higher but schools are better but still out of proportion.

Someone was saying that the high tax states do not have any better
services than the low tax states.Â* The high tax states have too many
state employees, higher state pensions and benefits.

Maybe it is different there, but we pay taxes on our property as
assessed by the town.Â* All that money goes to the town and pays for town
services.

You can have millions of state employees and it does not affect real
estate taxes.Â* It may affect state income of state sales taxes.

Where I live is not incorporated so we just pay county and our school
district tax. When I worked for a year in the city I had to pay a wage
tax. Delaware has no sales tax but has income tax maxing around 7% for
incomes greater than about 50 thou. There are property and vehicle
transfer fees that are actually taxes because they are based on value.
Per capita spending is about what it is in PA but maybe over 25% of the
states income comes from incorporation and corporate escheated funds.
Our gas tax is lower than PA and NJ and with no sales tax they do a lot
of shopping and gas buying here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2017 3:58 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Good for you. I fight and complain too. I see a lot of government
waste up front in the state and county. When my father died several
years ago the state was going to escheat his estate out of $19 and I
worked to get it putting in more time than it was worth but it is the
principal of the thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:10:26 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

I don't follow the notion that "you can't fight city hall." What fun
would that be. The fun fights are when the feds come at you. They
still teach classes about me BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

[...]

Just don't lie to the FBI, ask Flynn. I find this kind of nebulous myself.
They can lie to you but...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:19:05 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

[...]

Bah. Washington sent two clowns from the Inspector Generals Office
from Phoenix to Vegas. They called and said they wanted to come to my
house for an interview.

That ain't gonna happen. Catch me at work. I made them come back, on
the job months later.

I spanked them boys and sent them on their way after they told me
"have a nice retirement".

Checks are still coming
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:19:05 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

Just don't lie to the FBI, ask Flynn. I find this kind of nebulous myself.
They can lie to you but...

Bah. Washington sent two clowns from the Inspector Generals Office
from Phoenix to Vegas. They called and said they wanted to come to my
house for an interview.

That ain't gonna happen. Catch me at work. I made them come back, on
the job months later.

I spanked them boys and sent them on their way after they told me
"have a nice retirement".

Checks are still coming

I believe the IG office is different than the FBI in "lack of candor"
statements. I think Flynn had his tit caught in a wringer and his military
service put him in a untenable situation. I think it's all a sham and waste
of money and time and all congress critters have their pants down around
their ankles.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2017 2:59 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

[...]

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed. I know
retirees from Treasury and FBI and back then these were very straight up
agencies. I knew there were and continue to be corrupt people in the
county and guess it affects all levels.

I had a friend retired as a building inspector and when he was asked to
let something slide by a politician he would ask for their request in
writing. He would never get it. Made him mad when I told him he must
have been the only honest inspector there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:40:28 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed

As a former boss and friend told me:

When we get a new warden that plays golf, everybody buys golf clubs.

If he plays volley ball, they all buy volley balls.

He said, "I don't know what happens when we get a homosexual."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2017 6:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:40:28 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed

As a former boss and friend told me:

When we get a new warden that plays golf, everybody buys golf clubs.

If he plays volley ball, they all buy volley balls.

He said, "I don't know what happens when we get a homosexual."

I dunno, new balls and clubs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2017 06:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:40:28 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed

As a former boss and friend told me:

When we get a new warden that plays golf, everybody buys golf clubs.

If he plays volley ball, they all buy volley balls.

He said, "I don't know what happens when we get a homosexual."

The brown-nosin wang-slurpin sycophants will be buying mouthwash by the case and the new boss will be well blown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:40:28 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Depth of government bureaucracy corruption has me disturbed

As a former boss and friend told me:

When we get a new warden that plays golf, everybody buys golf clubs.

If he plays volley ball, they all buy volley balls.

He said, "I don't know what happens when we get a homosexual."

Ben Dover???

--
Tekkie

New Trex deck Frank[_24_] Home Repair 14 October 13th 17 01:55 AM
Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg) Bill[_47_] Woodworking 54 October 5th 13 06:07 PM
Replace PT deck horizontal boards with Trex?? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 30th 08 12:38 PM
Trex deck/steps - how clean and stain? aspasia Home Repair 6 June 19th 07 12:05 AM
Deck advice needed: Should I use Trex? Dave K. Home Repair 13 February 24th 04 09:41 PM