Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Trex deck

Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

I had started looking into this back early in the year and sought advice
here. Got a bid from Lowes that I did not like in May then waited til
end of summer and got three more bids. One I liked and chose was 2nd
lowest.

At my age, definitely not a DYI project but there was a lot of work on
choice of materials and finding a good contractor and I appreciated
advice from this group.

I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. These materials need time to go
through their growing pains as Trex did. Bad comments were on light
stability and mold resistance of early Trex which have been cured.
I might have gone Azex but it cost over 1/3rd more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 10:04:30 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
[...]

You did the right thing and your timing was great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2017 1:04 PM, Frank wrote:
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain.Â* Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

I had started looking into this back early in the year and sought advice
here.Â* Got a bid from Lowes that I did not like in May then waited til
end of summer and got three more bids.Â* One I liked and chose was 2nd
lowest.

At my age, definitely not a DYI project but there was a lot of work on
choice of materials and finding a good contractor and I appreciated
advice from this group.

I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics.Â* These materials need time to go
through their growing pains as Trex did.Â* Bad comments were on light
stability and mold resistance of early Trex which have been cured.
I might have gone Azex but it cost over 1/3rd more.

Looks very nice. Like the railing you chose. My neighbor has Trex and
he just pressure washes it in the spring. All you would need is aSunJoe
electric, maybe even the hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:04:22 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Very nice deck Frank. Easy on the eyes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Oct-17 12:04 PM, Frank wrote:
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. ...

The only real issue I have w/ Trex or any of the similar is their solar
heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the surface--out here in hot
summer sun you can seriously burn a bare foot in summer...lighter colors
help in that regards.

Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Wife wanted darker color but I was concerned about it fading faster. I
have a black grill cover practically bleached white on top after two years.

The railings except for top are PVC and I have not seen sagging problem
with them.

We don't spend a lot of time there and never go out in bare feet but I
agree it could be a problem for some people.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Oct-17 2:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Wife wanted darker color but I was concerned about it fading faster. I
have a black grill cover practically bleached white on top after two years.

The railings except for top are PVC and I have not seen sagging problem
with them.

We don't spend a lot of time there and never go out in bare feet but I
agree it could be a problem for some people.

Intended to comment it is a nice-looking job; hope it holds up and
serves well...

It gets near or 100F here for quite a fair amount of summer with
110-115F a few times a year most years. In more temperate areas it
surely won't be nearly as much an issue. I've not built any decks here
owing to such; there are two wide covered porches on the old farm house
although we really don't use them...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-10-12, dpb wrote:

Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...

I saw a neigbor install a entire Trex deck. As a geezer with some
wood framing experience, I was shocked. Not only by the screws used to
assemble everything (first time), but the extra support needed to
install things like steps, etc. That "serious sag" can even be seen
at the lumber yard. I saw Trex long boards that couldn't even support their
own weight.

No doubt Trex requires a different technique.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2017-10-12, wrote:

Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...

I saw a neigbor install a entire Trex deck. As a geezer with some
wood framing experience, I was shocked. Not only by the screws used to
assemble everything (first time), but the extra support needed to
install things like steps, etc. That "serious sag" can even be seen
at the lumber yard. I saw Trex long boards that couldn't even support their
own weight.

No doubt Trex requires a different technique.

Indeed, comparatively it's a wet noodle even without the temperature
issues...

Modulus of Elasticity is 400 kpsi (ultimate) for Trex while SYP in
lengthwise bending is about 1.8E6 psi or 1800 kpsi. In deflection
calculations, E shows up linearly in the numerator so for a given span,
deflection roughly 4X that of SYP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:09:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

You won't be sorry - Looks good!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:50:39 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 12-Oct-17 12:04 PM, Frank wrote:
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. ...

The only real issue I have w/ Trex or any of the similar is their solar
heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the surface--out here in hot
summer sun you can seriously burn a bare foot in summer...lighter colors
help in that regards.

Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...

Which is why Trex recommends 12 inch centers for the deck support
joists.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/17 1:04 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Looks nice!

--
The day Al Gore was born, there were 7000 polar bears on earth. Today,
only 26,000 remain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My Trex deck is at least 10 years old and still like new. Only visible signs of age are where a really hungry squirrel barely nibbled on the edge of the railing around the deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 12:04:30 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

Nice looking deck and it also looks like they did a great job.