Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Shoe Goo goop really just gasoline and styrofoam?

Someone told me we can make our own Shoe Goo goop with gas & peanuts.

Anyone tried it?
Does it work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 11:14 PM, Mad Roger wrote:
Someone told me we can make our own Shoe Goo goop with gas & peanuts.

Anyone tried it?
Does it work?

It would make better napalm...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 00:00:24 -0600,
rbowman wrote:

Someone told me we can make our own Shoe Goo goop with gas & peanuts.

Anyone tried it?
Does it work?

It would make better napalm...

I'm reading up on Shoe Goop goo which apparently is toluene based where the
goop simply "hardens" by evaporating the toluene solvent in air.

This explains why it is always best to squeeze out the goop before capping
it, so that there is zero air left (if possible) to harden.

It also explains why it sometimes can cure in a short period of time
(hours) but when used on the entire sole of shoes, it can take days for all
the solvent to evaporate out, especially if the shoe is wrapped in strands
of rubber bicycle tire tubing strips.

What I do to repair shoe soles is I stuff with towels or rags (it would be
nice to make my own form but usually I'm doing kid's shoes where I don't
have a wooden form).

Then I glop the shoe goop goo on the sole and then wrap with 26-inch long
half-inch wide strips of bicycle tire tube. Each wrap adds tension and I
let it sit for a couple of days if the impatient kids can wait that long.

I use so much of this shoe goo that I was wondering how to make it at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:14:23 AM UTC-5, Mad Roger wrote:
Someone told me we can make our own Shoe Goo goop with gas & peanuts.

Anyone tried it?
Does it work?

It might be better to use peanut butter. The peanut butter will probably mix a lot easier with the gasoline. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

[...]

Well, it's NOT styrene - which is what you get if you disolve
styrofoam.. Might be cheaper to buy the kids good used shoes instead
of trying to repair them with goop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:55:35 -0400,
wrote:

Well, it's NOT styrene - which is what you get if you disolve
styrofoam.. Might be cheaper to buy the kids good used shoes instead
of trying to repair them with goop.

Here's my repair project this morning.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3524798goop04.jpg

The first think I've learned is that the washing machine is a brutal place
for kids shoes!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1811342goop01.jpg

What I learned was an ice cube is GREAT for smoothing the shoe goop without
sticking.

And I learned that a bicycle tire tube makes a good strap.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6713513goop02.jpg

Clamps are ok but they don't fit shoes all that well except when you use a
rectangle of tire tube to repair the back of the heel.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3960384goop03.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Might be cheaper to buy the kids good used shoes instead
of trying to repair them with goop.

You may notice in the photos that the shoes are Vans, Nike, & Timberland
with Vibram soles.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3524798goop04.jpg

Are you saying they're not good shoes?

I think the problem is that they aren't meant for kids.
And/or they're not meant for the washing machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 12:40:38 -0700 (PDT),
Uncle Monster wrote:

It might be better to use peanut butter.
The peanut butter will probably mix a lot easier with the gasoline.

I get the joke but what I was hoping was to do three things with this
thread.

1. Let people know that ice cubes work GREAT to smooth out Shoe Goop and to
let people know that a bicycle tire tube cut into long 1/2-inch-wide strips
also works great, as do all the common clamps everyone already knows about
(especially for repairing the heel area as shown here).
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3960384goop03.jpg

2. Ask people in this home repair group if there is a cheaper alternative
to a six-dollar toothpaste-tube-sized Shoe Goop glue that works as well as
shoe goo does (perhaps maybe by mixing toluene and plastic peanuts, for
example).

3. Ask chemistry knowledgeable people here what kind of "bonding" is the
glue doing. It's not covalent or ionic or aromatic bonds. What is it?

Can anyone add to our knowledge in any of those three areas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

There is a nice fellow by the name of Frank who is a chemist. If you ping him, he may be able to tell you something about the chemistry involved with your project. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gooey Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:14:01 -0700 (PDT),
Uncle Monster wrote:

There is a nice fellow by the name of Frank who is a chemist

Hi Frank, if you're out there.

Looking at the Shoe Goo MSDS, it's toluene based but that's all I can get
out of the MSDS. The toluene is the solvent which seems to vaporize,
leaving the "glue" behind.

I know about covalent and ionic bonding and the nuclear strong and weak
forces, but glue doesn't seem to be any of those.

Do any chemists out there know what "force" is what holds most common glues
together?

I call it the "velcro force" because it's none of the common forces.
But what is it really?

Feedback on shoe goo David UK diy 7 July 8th 16 08:17 AM
Did the Other Shoe Just Drop? Big Banks Hit with Monster $250 BillionLawsuit in Housing Crisis jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 6 July 20th 14 08:32 PM
Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline? Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 13 November 6th 12 05:10 PM
not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 23 September 18th 09 06:44 PM