Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Shoe Goo goop really just gasoline and styrofoam?

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 7:52:54 PM UTC-5, Mad Roger wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 12:40:38 -0700 (PDT),
Uncle Monster wrote:

It might be better to use peanut butter.
The peanut butter will probably mix a lot easier with the gasoline.

I get the joke but what I was hoping was to do three things with this
thread.

1. Let people know that ice cubes work GREAT to smooth out Shoe Goop and to
let people know that a bicycle tire tube cut into long 1/2-inch-wide strips
also works great, as do all the common clamps everyone already knows about
(especially for repairing the heel area as shown here).
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3960384goop03.jpg

2. Ask people in this home repair group if there is a cheaper alternative
to a six-dollar toothpaste-tube-sized Shoe Goop glue that works as well as
shoe goo does (perhaps maybe by mixing toluene and plastic peanuts, for
example).

3. Ask chemistry knowledgeable people here what kind of "bonding" is the
glue doing. It's not covalent or ionic or aromatic bonds. What is it?

Can anyone add to our knowledge in any of those three areas?

There is a nice fellow by the name of Frank who is a chemist. If you ping him, he may be able to tell you something about the chemistry involved with your project. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gooey Monster