Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Shoe Goo goop really just gasoline and styrofoam?

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:05:08 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 00:00:24 -0600,
rbowman wrote:

Someone told me we can make our own Shoe Goo goop with gas & peanuts.

Anyone tried it?
Does it work?

It would make better napalm...

I'm reading up on Shoe Goop goo which apparently is toluene based where the
goop simply "hardens" by evaporating the toluene solvent in air.

This explains why it is always best to squeeze out the goop before capping
it, so that there is zero air left (if possible) to harden.

It also explains why it sometimes can cure in a short period of time
(hours) but when used on the entire sole of shoes, it can take days for all
the solvent to evaporate out, especially if the shoe is wrapped in strands
of rubber bicycle tire tubing strips.

What I do to repair shoe soles is I stuff with towels or rags (it would be
nice to make my own form but usually I'm doing kid's shoes where I don't
have a wooden form).

Then I glop the shoe goop goo on the sole and then wrap with 26-inch long
half-inch wide strips of bicycle tire tube. Each wrap adds tension and I
let it sit for a couple of days if the impatient kids can wait that long.

I use so much of this shoe goo that I was wondering how to make it at home.

Well, it's NOT styrene - which is what you get if you disolve
styrofoam.. Might be cheaper to buy the kids good used shoes instead
of trying to repair them with goop.