Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

Default London subway blast seen as terrorism, police say

On 15/09/2017 11:41, The Todal wrote:
On 15/09/2017 11:20, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Apparently again some one was NOT treated with enough
Love and outreach and it caused them to strike out.
Probably White christian middle class Brits are to blame.

Reports of "facial burns" and a passenger rush to escape emerged Friday
morning after an explosion occurred at a subway station in southwest
London.

Police are treating the case as an act of terrorism, according to
statement
by Met Police.

"My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and emergency
services
who are responding bravely to this terrorist incident," tweeted British
Prime Minsiter Theresa May.

It's not a subway blast. It was on the London Underground.* We speak
English not American here.

The first reports tend to suggest it wasn't a suicide bomber and the
bomb was not a very effective one. That does point towards a white
middle class Brit, surely.

You mispelt *muslim*.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 15/09/2017 14:02, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:55:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether it's
one or two eses.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

James Wilkinson Sword pretended :

wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether
it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important. The one I can never remember is
tarrif/tariff. There's no logical reason for the double letter on
one consonant and not the other.

And 'buffoon'?

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/09/2017 14:02, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:55:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important.* The one I can never remember is tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and not
the other.

No need for the letter "C" also. Or yet, the "PH" for "F" sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 16/09/2017 02:27, Meanie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/09/2017 14:02, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:55:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important.* The one I can never remember is tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and
not the other.

No need for the letter "C" also. Or yet, the "PH" for "F" sound.

Yes indeed, but how come misspelt has two eses in the middle yet mistake
mistype and misread have only one.
Also pluses and buses have only one, which has never looked correct to me.
Even the word *eses* feels to me that it should be esses.

Or is it just me? :-)

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 08:14:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important.* The one I can never remember is tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and
not the other.

No need for the letter "C" also. Or yet, the "PH" for "F" sound.

Yes indeed, but how come misspelt has two eses in the middle yet mistake
mistype and misread have only one.

That's a joke, right, Beavis?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/16/2017 3:14 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Because you're adding the "mis" to the actual word. Thus, spell is it's
own word and the prefix "mis" connects to the word "spell" which starts
with the "s" creating the two esses together. Still no difference than
your examples of "mis"type, "mis"read, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

*
Yes indeed, but how come misspelt has two eses in the middle yet
mistake mistype and misread have only one.
Also pluses and buses have only one, which has never looked correct to
me.
Even the word *eses* feels to me that it should be esses.

Or is it just me?* :-)

Because you're adding the "mis" to the actual word. Thus, spell is it's
own word and the prefix "mis" connects to the word "spell" which starts
with the "s" creating the two esses together. Still no difference than
your examples of "mis"type, "mis"read, etc.

Ok, but you typed *esses* instead of the correct spelling *eses* or have
I misinterpreted what you are trying to explain?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

"Paul Pot" wrote in message news
James Wilkinson Sword pretended :
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/09/2017 14:02, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:55:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important. The one I can never remember is tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and not
the other.

And 'buffoon'?

and of course there is:

baloon (Jack Dee style)

tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember
whether
it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important. The one I can never remember is
tarrif/tariff. There's no logical reason for the double letter on
one consonant and not the other.

And 'buffoon'?

What about it? I know what you mean and so does everyone else.

There are threads where you argue 'buffon' is correct.

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

"S" singular is spelled "ess". Thus, "S" plural would be spelled "esses"

https://howtospell.co.uk/adding-es-plural-rule
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

Ah, I thought the singular was spelt *es*. You are correct, thanks.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 08:14:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

snip

Yes indeed, but how come misspelt has two eses in the middle yet mistake
mistype and misread have only one.

Oh dear, oh dear. You always have appeared to be thick : but I had not
realised just how much.

type - mis + type = mistype

take - mis + take = mistake.

Your turn now:

spelt : mis + spelt = ?????????

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 12:53:57 +0100, Bod wrote:

snip

Ok, but you typed *esses* instead of the correct spelling *eses* or have
I misinterpreted what you are trying to explain?

I've just found a wicked site called : Google.

It's free to use and awesome.

Why not give it a go.

(I can see why Ophelia thought you were smart)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

[...]

Agreed. The language needs to evolve to be more logical. Everybody
start typing more sensibly and ignore the rules!

If you wanted a logical language you'd be speaking German rather than
that *******ized mishmash of a language you Brits foisted on the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:56:30 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Paul Pot" wrote in message
news
James Wilkinson Sword pretended :
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:20:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/09/2017 14:02, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:55:00 +0100, Bod wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether
it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important. The one I can never remember is tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and
not
the other.

And 'buffoon'?

and of course there is:

baloon (Jack Dee style)

Jack Dee?

Keep up, will you. He's an English comedian. I'm not sure if 'English
comedian' is a tautology or oxymoron though I lean toward the latter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:07:17 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:56:30 +0100, tim...
wrote:

news James Wilkinson Sword pretended :

wrote:

You mispelt *muslim*.

You misspelled *misspelt*.

Yes, that's one of those words that I always can't remember whether
it's
one or two eses.

It's hardly important. The one I can never remember is
tarrif/tariff.
There's no logical reason for the double letter on one consonant and
not
the other.

And 'buffoon'?

and of course there is:

baloon (Jack Dee style)

Jack Dee?

Keep up, will you. He's an English comedian. I'm not sure if 'English
comedian' is a tautology or oxymoron though I lean toward the latter.

I am familiar with Jack Dee, but I fail to see why he'd adjust the
spelling of words.

well he (or his producer) did

tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

How is it logical to assign a sex to a word?

I suppose you're one of those SJW's that wants asexual pronouns too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

Explain Mississippi.

That's an impossible task. Mississippi needs to be experienced, not
explained.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

Sissippi is not a word. If you need explanation, you're a bigger tool
than you originally display.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

I didn't ask about Sissippi, I asked why Mississippi needs double letters.

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 23:06:36 +0100, rbowman wrote:

Explain Mississippi.

That's an impossible task. Mississippi needs to be experienced, not
explained.

The experience I would love to experience, all I asked however was about
the ****ed up spelling.

Phoenetic. Mis sis sip pi. Unless you live there, then it's miz zi pi.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 09/16/2017 07:14 PM, Meanie wrote:

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?

Why is boatswain pronounced as bosun?
Why is lieutenant pronounced as leftenant
Why is Taliaferro pronounced Toliver?
Why is English so screwed up?
I pity the poor immigrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQ7NICpaq0

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

Words are words, they shouldn't have a sex. Only freaky French and
Germans think a table has a sexual assignment.

And the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Russians, .... Blame it
on the Danes. Danish was once a Germanic language until it devolved into
the mess nobody understands, including the Danes. Genders were too much
work so they dropped them.

Then the Danes went to the British Isles and taught the savages how to
speak Danish. Sort of, until the French threw in their deux centimes.

Perhaps you should move to Finland. No genders, period. 'han' can mean
he, she, or it. They do have a few endings if they absolutely have to be
impolite enough to mention sex but they rarely use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

[...]

Er! the English language derived from a West Germanic language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 17/09/2017 03:46, rbowman wrote:
On 09/16/2017 07:14 PM, Meanie wrote:

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?

Why is boatswain pronounced as bosun?
Why is lieutenant pronounced as leftenant
Why is Taliaferro pronounced Toliver?
Why is English so screwed up?
I pity the poor immigrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQ7NICpaq0

"How did English become the worlds most widely spoken language?"

https://blog.esl-languages.com/blog/...al-number-one/

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea what you're referring to.

you think I care?

tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

It isn't

because where linguistics are concerned the term is "gender" (which despite
an explosion in common usage is NOT a synonym for sex)

tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

==

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/16/2017 11:09 PM, rbowman wrote:
Words are words, they shouldn't have a sex.* Only freaky French and
Germans think a table has a sexual assignment.

And the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Russians, .... Blame it
on the Danes. Danish was once a Germanic language until it devolved into
the mess nobody understands, including the Danes. Genders were too much
work so they dropped them.

The USA is trying to do the same. The mailman is now a letter carrier,
college freshman is now a First Year student, etc. Don't walk among the
liberals or you may have your balls cut off.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/17/2017 5:28 AM, tim... wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message

How is it logical to assign a sex to a word?

It isn't

because where linguistics are concerned the term is "gender" (which
despite an explosion in common usage is NOT a synonym for sex)

tim

Right. I didn't have gender with my wife last night.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/16/2017 10:46 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/16/2017 07:14 PM, Meanie wrote:

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?

Why is boatswain pronounced as bosun?
Why is lieutenant pronounced as leftenant
Why is Taliaferro pronounced Toliver?
Why is English so screwed up?
I pity the poor immigrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQ7NICpaq0

I pronounce it loo-ten-uh nt.

Taliaferro isn't an English word.

Yes, the English language is a mess and considered one of the hardest
languages to learn based from foreigners who attempt speaking it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 9/16/2017 11:09 PM, rbowman wrote:
Words are words, they shouldn't have a sex. Only freaky French and
Germans think a table has a sexual assignment.

And the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Russians, .... Blame it
on the Danes. Danish was once a Germanic language until it devolved into
the mess nobody understands, including the Danes. Genders were too much
work so they dropped them.

The USA is trying to do the same. The mailman is now a letter carrier,
college freshman is now a First Year student, etc. Don't walk among the
liberals or you may have your balls cut off.
==

Oh dear ... g

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 07:41:52 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 17/09/2017 03:46, rbowman wrote:
On 09/16/2017 07:14 PM, Meanie wrote:

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?

Why is boatswain pronounced as bosun?
Why is lieutenant pronounced as leftenant

It isn't.Â* It's pronounce lootenant as you'd expect.

Wrong.

Why is Taliaferro pronounced Toliver?

Who?

Why is English so screwed up?

Because too many people have OCD and spell and pronounce "properly"
instead of relaxing the rules to make it more logical.

I pity the poor immigrant.

I would never pity an immigrunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQ7NICpaq0

"How did English become the worlds most widely spoken language?"

https://blog.esl-languages.com/blog/...al-number-one/

Conclusion: Our language spread because we didn't used to be politically
correct nancy boys.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/17/2017 10:15 AM, Meanie wrote:

Yes, the English language is a mess and considered one of the hardest
languages to learn based from foreigners who attempt speaking it.

Nah, I was less than a year old and learned it like I was speaking it
all my life.

I had missed opportunities. My grandparents were from Poland but never
spoke it to us as kids but I wish they had when it was too late. I
picked up a few words from their conversations with my parents. In
high school I was given two years of Latin but now wish I would have
fought to take Spanish as it would have helped in real life.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 17/09/2017 14:37, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/17/2017 5:28 AM, tim... wrote:
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message

How is it logical to assign a sex to a word?

It isn't

because where linguistics are concerned the term is "gender" (which
despite an explosion in common usage is NOT a synonym for sex)

Right.* I didn't have gender with my wife last night.

I think you should have done. It's your duty, man!

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 9/17/2017 11:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/17/2017 10:15 AM, Meanie wrote:

Yes, the English language is a mess and considered one of the hardest
languages to learn based from foreigners who attempt speaking it.

Nah, I was less than a year old and learned it like I was speaking it
all my life.

I had missed opportunities.* My grandparents were from Poland but never
spoke it to us as kids but I wish they had when it was too late.* I
picked up a few words from their conversations with my parents.*** In
high school I was given two years of Latin but now wish I would have
fought to take Spanish as it would have helped in real life.

Learning anything, even a language, as a child is easier to adapt.
Learning as an adult is the complicated part. Thus, adults who don't
speak it and try to learn it are incapable of comprehending the basic
structures such as possessives vs contractions, homonyms and as I stated
before, the "c" and "ph" usage, just to name a few.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

Don't aks me, my name's Hucker.

The same reason Missouri uses two esses, and Matterhorn uses two tees
and tomorrow uses two arz and so on.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:13:37 +0100, JNugent

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 07:41:52 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 17/09/2017 03:46, rbowman wrote:
On 09/16/2017 07:14 PM, Meanie wrote:

Why is the "w" silent in Sword?

Why is boatswain pronounced as bosun?
Why is lieutenant pronounced as leftenant

It isn't. It's pronounce lootenant as you'd expect.

Wrong.

It is by everyone except he old fashioned posh lot.

At least you learned one thing from your American cousins. Keep watching
American movies and TV and we'll teach you to speak English yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 09/17/2017 07:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/16/2017 11:09 PM, rbowman wrote:
Words are words, they shouldn't have a sex. Only freaky French and
Germans think a table has a sexual assignment.

And the Spanish, Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Russians, .... Blame it
on the Danes. Danish was once a Germanic language until it devolved
into the mess nobody understands, including the Danes. Genders were
too much work so they dropped them.

The USA is trying to do the same. The mailman is now a letter carrier,
college freshman is now a First Year student, etc. Don't walk among the
liberals or you may have your balls cut off.

When I walk among the liberals, I'm the one with the Kershaw Cryo II in
my pocket...