Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleanser

I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always use
a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised to try
Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's primary
ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you but seems
to clean better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 10:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always use
a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised to try
Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's primary
ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you but seems
to clean better.

The cleansers are why it does not clean up well. The glaze is ruined
from years of abrasives. You may do well with a good liquid cleaner also
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2017 09:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/12/2017 10:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always
use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised
to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's
primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you
but seems to clean better.

The cleansers are why it does not clean up well. The glaze is ruined
from years of abrasives. You may do well with a good liquid cleaner also

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 7:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always use
a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised to try
Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's primary
ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you but seems
to clean better.

I've only allowed Bon-ami "polishing" cleanser or Barkeepers Friend to
be in my house to avoid this problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 10:01:29 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

On 08/12/2017 09:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/12/2017 10:17 AM, philo wrote:

I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always
use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised
to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's
primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you
but seems to clean better.

The cleansers are why it does not clean up well. The glaze is ruined
from years of abrasives. You may do well with a good liquid cleaner also

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

This time last year I did a complete bathroom remodel with the exception
of the toilet. My bathtub was 90+ years old and the interior glaze
was completely gone. Some of the wear was from years and years of use
but a good part was from abrasive cleansers. I used Bar Keepers Friend
on it many times and it improved it's looks substantially but once the
glaze is gone it seemed to take more and more scrubbing.

My new tub is one of those walk-in models with a gel coat. All it takes
and all it gets is a wipe down with one of those trigger bathroom cleaners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 12:18 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/12/2017 7:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always
use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised
to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's
primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you
but seems to clean better.

I've only allowed Bon-ami "polishing" cleanser or Barkeepers Friend to
be in my house to avoid this problem.

Out of curiosity I looked up the MSDS for Bon-ami and see it contains
feldspar as abrasive and looking up feldspar see it is harder than glass
which means it would scratch it. OIOH, I read that Bon-ami will not
scratch porcelain but other cleansers like Comet will.

Of interest I lifted this from Colgate's site:

Today's abrasives are a bit gentler and typically include calcium
carbonate, dehydrated silica gels and hydrated aluminum oxides. The goal
of the abrasive ingredients in modern toothpaste is to scrub the surface
of the teeth without scratching or damaging your tooth's enamel.

People need be more aware of these things. I've got an old dental
bridge which must have been faced with acrylic plastic which is since
gone due to brushing as dental abrasives can wear away plastic false teeth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 12:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

Anything abrasive would tear up the gel coat in a couple of cleanings.

How long does it take for the tub to drain before you can get out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:28:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My new tub is one of those walk-in models with a gel coat. All it takes
and all it gets is a wipe down with one of those trigger bathroom cleaners.

Anything abrasive would tear up the gel coat in a couple of cleanings.

Fiberglass boats have a gel finish, iirc. How is the hull cleaned?

How long does it take for the tub to drain before you can get out?

What is the cost of the tub & can a doctor write a prescription for
medical needs, for a tax a deduction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 12:28:40 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/12/2017 12:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

This time last year I did a complete bathroom remodel with the exception
of the toilet. My bathtub was 90+ years old and the interior glaze
was completely gone. Some of the wear was from years and years of use
but a good part was from abrasive cleansers. I used Bar Keepers Friend
on it many times and it improved it's looks substantially but once the
glaze is gone it seemed to take more and more scrubbing.

My new tub is one of those walk-in models with a gel coat. All it takes
and all it gets is a wipe down with one of those trigger bathroom cleaners.

Anything abrasive would tear up the gel coat in a couple of cleanings.

Yep, that's why it only gets the foamy stuff.

How long does it take for the tub to drain before you can get out?

I've only filled it up a few times as I quickly learned a 40 gallon
water heater was just not large enough to fill it without running
out of hot water. I had to get a new water about a month ago and
opted for a 50 gallon size and that's as large as I can go in the
space it sits in. Anyway, it takes about 5 minutes to drain; I
could have opted for one of those power drainers but I didn't.

I really do like it and the complete bathroom remodel really,
really looks great. This is not my bathroom but I did opt for
the shelves at the faucet end like shown in this picture.

https://s19.postimg.org/5hk3en7yr/Boca_tub.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 12:40:45 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

What is the cost of the tub & can a doctor write a prescription for
medical needs, for a tax a deduction?

My tub is a Boca tub, it's got one of the highest ratings, if not
the highest, in the industry; lowest step-in of any tub on the
market, too. They will actually quote you a price over the phone
unlike Safe-Step walk-in tubs. I could have chosen a model that
does not have the air jets for around $4200 but I did get air jets
and massaging jets for $5500.

Safe-Step absolutley will NOT give a quote over the phone nor in
their store. They require a salesman to come to your home to show
you their models, measure, and talk you into buying their product.
The rock bottom price that _I've_ seen for a Safe-Step, installed,
is $11,000.

As for getting a 'prescription' from a doctor for a tax write-off
I haven't a clue. I've never heard of one doing that but that
doesn't mean it can't be done!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:48:54 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the extra adultury link. Im getting laid 3 miles from my house. Ill check out their setup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2017 11:38 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

One of these days I may replace the entire tub and stall, but next year
is a total roof replacement. I told my wife...no major vacations next
year. Just had the rood replaced 25 years ago. If I have to keep doing
this every 25 years, it's going to be a PITA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2017 11:18 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/12/2017 7:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always
use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised
to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's
primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you
but seems to clean better.

I've only allowed Bon-ami "polishing" cleanser or Barkeepers Friend to
be in my house to avoid this problem.

Now at least I'm glad that neither my wife or I are fanatics about
cleaning or by now the tub would have been totally worn out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:07:41 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:48:54 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

https://s19.postimg.org/5hk3en7yr/Boca_tub.jpg

Thanks for the extra adultury link. Im getting laid 3 miles from my house. Ill check out their setup.

I don't see that when I view the picture. Someone else on another group
several days ago had pretty much the same statement. It wasn't my
picture at the time but I didn't see what they were complaining about
and neither did most of the other posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 11:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 08/12/2017 09:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/12/2017 10:17 AM, philo wrote:
I have a old bathtub that never seems to get really clean. I always
use a standard cleanser such as Comet or Ajax. Recently I was advised
to try Bar Keepers Friend. Instead of using an abrasive as it's
primary ingredient it uses a mild acid. Not strong enough to burn you
but seems to clean better.

The cleansers are why it does not clean up well. The glaze is ruined
from years of abrasives. You may do well with a good liquid cleaner also

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

If you like the tub, you can choose to have it re-glazed in lieu of a
replacement. I believe the cost is a fraction of replacement, though, I
haven't researched that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:10:12 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

If you like the tub, you can choose to have it re-glazed in lieu of a
replacement. I believe the cost is a fraction of replacement, though, I
haven't researched that.

+1 I've had antique sinks and tubs re-glazed as well as several
modern sinks. Didn't break the bank in either case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 11:01:30 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[...]

I looked at the Boca site. Care & Maintenance pdf guide suggested
"soft scrub" or fiberglass cleaner, like might be used on boat hulls.

I mentioned the prescription because my wife's doctor said she needed
hydrotherapy. He wrote a letter to insurance, the cost ended with a
tax deduction because we bought a 4-person outdoor Spa. Just sayin'.

I'd ask the doctor about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 3:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:10:12 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

If you like the tub, you can choose to have it re-glazed in lieu of a
replacement. I believe the cost is a fraction of replacement, though, I
haven't researched that.

+1 I've had antique sinks and tubs re-glazed as well as several
modern sinks. Didn't break the bank in either case.

I have heard it was inexpensive. IT would be something I'd consider,
especially for an older well built tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 3:00:17 PM UTC-5, Meanie wrote:

On 8/12/2017 3:31 PM, Oren wrote:

+1 I've had antique sinks and tubs re-glazed as well as several
modern sinks. Didn't break the bank in either case.

I have heard it was inexpensive. IT would be something I'd consider,
especially for an older well built tub.

There is a place here that 're-glazes' tubs but it's not a fire-glazed
refinish. It's some sort of spray on paint they do and it is guar-
anteed for 5 years if I remember correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:58:47 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On 8/12/2017 3:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 15:10:12 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Thanks. The tub must be 60 years old or so and is really not too bad.
I'm sure it would cost a ton of money to replace.

If you like the tub, you can choose to have it re-glazed in lieu of a
replacement. I believe the cost is a fraction of replacement, though, I
haven't researched that.

+1 I've had antique sinks and tubs re-glazed as well as several
modern sinks. Didn't break the bank in either case.

I have heard it was inexpensive. IT would be something I'd consider,
especially for an older well built tub.

The most I ever paid was for a refinish of a 1910 ball & talon claw
foot tub, They took it away for a couple of weeks. I had plans for it
but that didn't work out. Paid $500 to finish inside, outside, and
ball & talon legs.

Sold it for $500 but lost the $25 I paid for it :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/12/2017 02:10 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:34:42 -0500, philo wrote:

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.

Never tried one, but I see people like those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
pads. Maybe the house wives here would know :-|
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:34:42 -0500, philo wrote:

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.

Never tried one, but I see people like those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
pads. Maybe the house wives here would know :-|

Hey Oren, have you cleansed your tub drain problem?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 1:52:45 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:34:42 -0500, philo wrote:

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.

Never tried one, but I see people like those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
pads. Maybe the house wives here would know :-|

I cannot speak of how a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would do on a bathtub
but they will take the finish off some items. I found this out the
hard way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:34:36 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Hey Oren, have you cleansed your tub drain problem?

Coming up. I will post an update as Derby requested. I have
appointments in the next few days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 14:04:18 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 1:52:45 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:34:42 -0500, philo wrote:

It does not need to be re-glazed basically just a good cleaning.

After three cleanings...it looks pretty good.

Never tried one, but I see people like those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
pads. Maybe the house wives here would know :-|

I cannot speak of how a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would do on a bathtub
but they will take the finish off some items. I found this out the
hard way.

Would you itemize the items that you lost the finish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I cannot speak of how a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would do on a bathtub
but they will take the finish off some items. I found this out the
hard way.

Would you itemize the items that you lost the finish?

One item I distinctly remember is a Formica countertop. It had a
small stain that I could not remove no matter what I used. It
wasn't too long after Mr. Clean Magic Erasers came on the market
that I bought one. Well, it took that stain right out but left a
very dull spot that is still on the Formica countertop to this day.
After that I used the Magic Erasers very little.