Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Would You Trust This Jack Stand?

On 8/13/2017 8:43 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 14:00:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/13/2017 1:20 PM, Dick Wood wrote:
On 8/11/2017 8:49 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:39:24 -0400, Andy wrote:

On 08/10/2017 10:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I understand how arches work/transfer the load. It's not the arch
shape that
bothers me, it's the welds. Since I didn't do the welds, I'm not sure I
want to trust my life to them when a "straight down to the ground"
option
exists.
You wouldn't catch me under a car supported by those contraptions. I
use, and will continue to use solid blocks of wood.
And to your point, why bother with them when there are other safer
options.
Which way is the grain oriented? Using a piece of log, upright the
way it grows, is NOT a safe stand for most applications. Building a
pilon of stacked 4x4 "logs" is - but it's clumsy

I'm not convinced any other jack stand design is any safer

Yah, if you don't know the proper way to orient a block of wood, you'd
better put your tools away and call a pro before you hurt yourself.

The 8 x 8 piece of hickory I have seems to work in any direction. It
held up a barn for decades before I got it.

Old growth hickory would be hard to split even with an axe or maul -
so it would LIKELY be safe. I'd still ise any of my purpose built jack
stands ahead of the block of wood end-grade up, regartdless. I HAVE
used wood, and rocks, and all kinds of other stuff when stuck "in the
bush" when nothing else was available - but I was VERY carefull!!

I just use it as a secondary support if the first one should give out.
I don't go under a car with only one support, either a stand or jack.
Only takes seconds to be sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

After 48 years using various jacks and stands I know what to trust -
and a jack stand on sand does not make the cut. A big block of wood
strategically placed as a backup DOES make "dodgy" setups a little
more re-assuring. (as does a couple og wheels and tires stacked under
the car). Wouldn't want to use them as the main support - and always
hoping they won't be needed.