David

Default Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce
Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to
a DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave
brianlanning

I've heard that one from him before. There have been threads in the
past about just this guy. He seems to be an actor instead of a real
woodworker like norm, david, or roy. If you watch his show enough
you'll see silly things like him cutting a dado 1" wide by making two
passes, then putting 3/4" plywood in it for a shelf. It's obviously
way too sloppy. Then when you come back from a comercial, it fits
perfectly. My favorite one was when he built a rocking chair... from a
kit. all the parts came pre-turned and sanded. All he did was glue it
together.

brian

On 18 Oct 2005 10:29:15 -0700, "brianlanning"
wrote:

I've heard that one from him before. There have been threads in the
past about just this guy. He seems to be an actor instead of a real
woodworker like norm, david, or roy. If you watch his show enough
you'll see silly things like him cutting a dado 1" wide by making two
passes, then putting 3/4" plywood in it for a shelf. It's obviously
way too sloppy. Then when you come back from a comercial, it fits
perfectly. My favorite one was when he built a rocking chair... from a
kit. all the parts came pre-turned and sanded. All he did was glue it
together.

brian

hey, gluing is hard work.... you can't expect the guy to be able to do
everythinh, right?

: )

brianlanning wrote:
I've heard that one from him before. There have been threads in the
past about just this guy. He seems to be an actor instead of a real
woodworker like norm, david, or roy. ...

Ok, he's an actor. That doesn't explain why the producer
didn't hire a competent person to wrtie the scripts.

--

FF

Rob V

Lol -I actually met him one time.
The wife and I were out to dinner and he sat right next to us.
I talked w/ him a bit later that evening when we were both leaving - nice
enough guy.

What worse is that other boze on tools and techniques (the one that hosted
last season - not the new guy)
He actually did a bowl on a tablesaw by taking a square peice of stock and
turning by hand over the blade while raising the blade.
I was like you have got to be kidding me - the ER is going to get a workout
after this show.

Im guessing he finally killed himself in some horrific shop accident so they
had to replace him.

"David" wrote in message
This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce
Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to a
DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave

Leon

"Rob V" wrote in message
Lol -I actually met him one time.
The wife and I were out to dinner and he sat right next to us.
I talked w/ him a bit later that evening when we were both leaving - nice
enough guy.

What worse is that other boze on tools and techniques (the one that hosted
last season - not the new guy)
He actually did a bowl on a tablesaw by taking a square peice of stock and
turning by hand over the blade while raising the blade.
I was like you have got to be kidding me - the ER is going to get a
workout after this show.

Im guessing he finally killed himself in some horrific shop accident so
they had to replace him.

Or the idiot on the "Ultimate Workshop that showed how to cut a dado with a
dado blade on a TS and with the standard Guard in place. When he discovered
that the 1x4 that he was cross cutting the dado into would not go past the
guard he backed the wood back through the blades with the saw still running.

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message

Or the idiot on the "Ultimate Workshop that showed how to cut a dado with

dado blade on a TS and with the standard Guard in place. When he

discovered
that the 1x4 that he was cross cutting the dado into would not go past

the
guard he backed the wood back through the blades with the saw still

running.

Hell, I've seen Norm do worse. When he was building the four poster bed, he
free handed the four arced canopy sections through the table saw while
keeping the tail section of it raised about a foot off the table saw. I've
never seen a worse example of kickback in the making.

brianlanning

Is that the same guy that couldn't figure out what to call a stacked
dado set? I can't remember what he called it, something like a "wide
saw blade thing". I'll have to start tivoing (is that a word now?)
that show again just for entertainment value.

I should start my own woodworking show.

brian

Leon

"David" wrote in message
This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce
Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to a
DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave

I noticed that a few years back. In answer to your question, Can you trust
a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS , another question.

Can you trust some one that turns out work that looks crap?

Andy Dingley

wrote:

My favorite one was when he built a rocking chair... from a
kit. all the parts came pre-turned and sanded. All he did was glue it
together

I don't see that as a bad subject for a TV show. For most of the
audience that's more chair building than they're otherwise going to
attempt. If it encourages even a handful to get a kit and actually make
something, that has to be a good thing.

Rob V wrote:

What worse is that other boze on tools and techniques (the one that hosted
last season - not the new guy)
He actually did a bowl on a tablesaw by taking a square peice of stock and
turning by hand over the blade while raising the blade.
I was like you have got to be kidding me - the ER is going to get a workout
after this show.

Many years ago Nahrm did that too, on NYWS. (After first removing the
tablesaw guard for photographic clarity.)

Im guessing he finally killed himself in some horrific shop accident so they
had to replace him.

Nahrm lived.

--

FF

Patrick Conroy

David wrote in news:18WdnXnLroqysMjeRVn-
:

This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce
Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to
a DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave

About Bruce Johnson
An expert in wood refinishing, antique restoration, and home improvement,
Bruce Johnson has published more than a dozen books on these topics,
including Fifty Simple Ways To Save Your House, The Wood Finisher, The
Weekend Refinisher, and The Official Identification and Price Guide to
the Arts and Crafts Movement. His antique refinishing advice column,
"Knock on Wood," runs in more than 20 antique/collectibles publications.

A rare combination of craftsman and journalist, Bruce began his career as
a high school English teacher, but left teaching to set up his "Knock on
Wood Antique Repair & Restoration" shop. He spent the next 10 years as a
full-time professional refinisher, but eventually returned to writing.
Yet, Bruce says, he won't ever be without a workbench and a couple of
refinishing projects down in the basement Bruce is also the founder and
director of the Arts and Crafts Conference and Antique Show held every
February in Asheville, North Carolina, at the Grove Park Inn. The
conference, which includes the largest Arts and Crafts antiques show,
attracts more than 1500 Arts and Crafts collectors each year to its many
seminars, tours, demonstrations and exhibits. Johnson is proud to have
played a role in reviving interest in designers like Gustav Stickley, who
founded the Arts and Crafts movement. These furnishings are treasured by
such collectors as Steven Spielberg and Bruce Willis, among many others.

no(SPAM)vasys

Patrick Conroy quoted:

"Johnson is proud to have
played a role in reviving interest in designers like Gustav Stickley, who
founded the Arts and Crafts movement."

I have to disagree with the article statement that the Arts and Crafts
Movement was founded by Stickley. He believe he got his ideas from
Ruskin and Morris. Hubbard had a big impact with the Roycrofter's as well.

John Ruskin (1819 -1900)
William Morris (1834-1896)
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
Gustav Stickley (1858-1942)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
loutent

Hell, I've seen Norm do worse. When he was building the four poster bed, he
free handed the four arced canopy sections through the table saw while
keeping the tail section of it raised about a foot off the table saw. I've
never seen a worse example of kickback in the making.

I've been converting all my VHS tapes of NYW to DVD since
I got my new DVD recorder at Costco a couple months ago.

I'm just now up to Norm's Highboy epsiodes (took 2).

This guy made 2 highboys out of tiger-maple - one for
a prototype and one for 'taping'. I would guess that both
were done in the span on a week or so (actual woodworking).
AFAIK, he does it all himself (help with setups etc.)

Use common sense in the shop with power tools.

We all do stupid stuff at times - mainly because we are
too dumb, too tired or short on time. I would guess that
for Norm, it's the latter.

Hell, he still has all his digits!

----

Someday I hope to be good enough to be cynical of
Norm Abram (ain't likely.)

Lou

About Bruce Johnson
An expert in wood refinishing, antique restor.....

snip.....
lectors as Steven Spielberg and Bruce Willis, among many others.

sounds like some pretty good bonafides. so why doesn't he know the
difference between a SCMS and a RAS, among numerous other things?

maybe some kind of dyslexia?

Here's an easy solution to the tears of indignation about the wrongs
shown on television.

Don't watch that crap. Then you won't get all upset and offended, you
won't have to vent to all the other hobby woodies, and you will have
time to work in your shop and do something constructive.

I mean really, who are the idiots here? The guy that is on TV that
apparently doesn't know any better or the guy that watches and knows
better, and continues to watch long enough episodes to have more than
one example to cry about?

Robert

mike hide

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"David" wrote in message
This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce
Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to a
DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave

I noticed that a few years back. In answer to your question, Can you
trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS , another question.

Can you trust some one that turns out work that looks crap?

In all honesty what are the differences, tell me what a RAS wont do that a
CMS will. Other than portability...mjh

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:31:29 -0400, Odinn
wrote:

You've never made a mistake calling one piece of equipment something else?

Not on TV, with a script, and the ability to re-shoot.

Not many people both know the subject and make a good presenter. But
they ought to have someone on set who does know, and who would call Cut!
aftter a gaff like that.
Pig

A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got
the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How
about rip?

Charlie Self

wrote:

You've never made a mistake calling one piece of equipment something else?

Not on TV, with a script, and the ability to re-shoot.

Not many people both know the subject and make a good presenter. But
they ought to have someone on set who does know, and who would call Cut!
aftter a gaff like that.

We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though. All of us
stumble over our tongues from time to time, and if the shooting is
rushed, that's what ends up being broadcast. Better if it doesn't
happen, and better if it's edited out if it does happen, but life's
like that.

Andy Dingley

On 19 Oct 2005 07:18:50 -0700, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though.

Last contact I had with TV was some friends who let themselves be
suckered onto a reality TV show last weekend (Mechannibals - it's
Junkyard Wars with kitchen appliances). Even their "spontaneous
hysterical outbursts" were scripted and shot two or three times, then
the whole final scene and conclusion of the scene was reversed during
the edit.

TV is a vile thing - that's why I've never owned one.
Lee Gordon

A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got
the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How
about rip?

Or make dadoes?

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Lee Gordon

Isn't there a list on LRod's web site? g

LRod has a website? g

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Lee Gordon

We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though. All of us
stumble over our tongues from time to time, and if the shooting is
rushed, that's what ends up being broadcast. Better if it doesn't
happen, and better if it's edited out if it does happen, but life's
like that.

Still, that isn't much of an excuse. This is supposed to be instructional
television, and "network" television to boot. I might expect them to let it
slide if this were some local cable access show with no budget and a
proscribed amount of studio time available, but "professional" TV should be
held to higher standards.

There's an expression in TV called "fix it in post." That refers to the
practice of correcting errors or problems enountered during shooting in what
is called "post-production," the time when the raw footage is edited and any
normal adjustments to lighting and audio levels can be tweaked. I would
guess that in any woodworking "how-to" show the camera is focused on the
project, not on the host's face, for at least 75% of the time. Therefore,
if the host misspoke, it is likely he did so while the audience could hear
him but not see him. In that case, it is relatively cheap and easy to have
him re-record his line off camera and edit in the new audio. Even if he was
on camera, there are editing tricks that can make it an easy fix.

And DIY is by no means the only network guilty of shoddy or cheapskate
production practices. I absolutely cringe when I hear some of the things I
have heard on, for example, the Science Channel. There's one show called
Paleo World in which the narrator pronounces the word "dinosaur" like
"dyna-saw," as if it were some sort of prehistoric power tool. It's one
thing to mispronounce a word ... but not the most important one! The have
another show which was obviously produced originally in French by French
Canadian TV. English is clearly the second language of the narrator who
mispronounces such basic words as "helium" (i.e. the first syllable sounds
like that place that's the opposite of heaven). I have first-hand knowledge
that it doesn't cost that much to re-do the audio portion of a TV
production. There's not much excuse for letting some of this stuff get on
the air.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

LRod

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:53:38 -0400, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

Isn't there a list on LRod's web site? g

LRod has a website? g

I really need to start promoting that thing...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

David

Lee Gordon wrote:

A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got
the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How
about rip?

Or make dadoes?

Lee

a SCMS can do dados, albeit in multiple passes as you can't put a dado
blade on the arbor. All the SCMS's I've seen have a depth stop so that
you can do dados.

Dave
David

Lee Gordon wrote:

[...]

or how about talking heads that pronounce the KKK as "KLU Klux Klan"
instead of "KU Klux Klan" More say it wrong than correctly.

Dave