Sofie

Default static on right channel of kenwood receiver

Sharon Leigh:
Follow the troubleshooting advice I posted regarding the Marantz (it has a
static problem in the LEFT channel)..... first, look for faulty solder
connections, especially around the high heat producing components ... if
that is not the problem then with an oscilloscope and a test signal you
should be able to trace the problem to the faulty components (usually leaky
semiconductors or electrolytics) or problem area of the circuitry. As I
stated in that reply post.... the nice thing about working on stereo
equipment is that you have an identical and properly working LEFT channel
next to the faulty (static) RIGHT channel..... it doesn't get any better
than this.
If, after reading this, you are still not certain how to proceed then you
might be best advise to have a service shop do the repairs for you. There
are usually some shops that will do more of this kind of work than
others.... ask around.

****here is a copy of my above mentioned posting:
First, look for cracked, cold, or otherwise faulty
solder connections near and around the high heat
producing components..... especially in the left
channel circuitry. Since the static is almost
constant you should be able to trace it to a
fairly specific area of the left channel circuitry....
.....an oscilloscope should allow you to easily
find the static problem stage.... start at the
preamp and work your way to the power output
stage. Could be leaky semiconductors or
electrolytics anywhere in the chain.....
The nice thing about working on stereo equipment
is that you have an identical channel to compare
the suspected faulty circuitry with.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver static problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I turn the balance

all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned every conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The receiver's 32 years old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the way. anyone have
any ideas?

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver static problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I turn the balance

all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned every conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The receiver's 32 years old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the way. anyone have
any ideas?

Lot's of possibilities. Dirty or worn speaker switch contacts, bad relay
(if the old amp uses one) contacts, dried up caps, leaky transistors.
Headphones require very little power to produce sound, so some problems in
the output stage might not show up when using them. By the way, do you have
sound through the bad channel along with the static, or just static?

Sharon Leigh

Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to describe it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly. It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sofie

Very good point ..... I think we have all gotten bitten by that one.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

---------------------

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's

Jeff

Hi Dan.
Well if headphone works OK?
At least on the old ones that used to be the first question.
Ever seen a headphone resistor burnt open? (yep, twice)
So if it hums dont leave it plugged in.
Some of those old elements could realy take some power.
Jeff

"Sofie" wrote in message
Very good point ..... I think we have all gotten bitten by that one.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
snipped:

"Jeff" wrote in message news:31lRa.57999
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

---------------------

Sofie

Sharon Leigh:
OK then...... the simple stuff is OK..... now the next step is for you to
troubleshoot the circuitry as described in all the reply posts that you have
received on this newsgroup. If you can do some of the technical stuff at
your end.... and you still can not fix it, you should post the ALL of the
results of your troubleshooting efforts, inspection and resoldering of
questionable connections, voltage readings, component tests, and if you can,
signal tracing with an oscilloscope..... if you can be our eyes, ears, and
hands, we might be able to give you some additional suggestions.
If, after reading all the reply posts, you still are not certain how to
proceed, and lack the test equipment, tools, basic electronics knowledge and
minimum repair experience needed, you might be best advised to take your
receiver to a service shop for a safe and proper repair, or at the very
least you should obtain a repair cost estimate so you can make an
intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet guesses.
There are some shops that really specialize fixing the older stereo
equipment.... ask around.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

Then it's time to start trouble shooting. No particular "common part" is
the cause of that problem. Any switch on the front of that unit can have
dirty contacts and cause static. Be sure to try them all to see if they have
an effect, including the tone controls. They all have seperate contacts for
each channel. If it's not the switches, then I would check the board for any
bad solder joints. After that, it requires basic troubleshooting skills, a
few basic pieces of test gear, and some basic electronic skills. By the way,
what does this static sound like? Is it like a hiss, or is it a frying
sound? A frying sound tend to point one toward a bad transistor(s) in the
output stage. Maybe you could explain the sound a little better.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sharon Leigh

I have done a pretty thorough visual inspection. Don't see any bad solder at
the speaker terminals. No obvious burn marks or smells. I really don't think
the receiver is worth the effort to fix unless it's something fairly simple,
which it apparently isn't. I am, however, going to go through the boards one
more time with a magnifying glass to see if there's something I missed.

Thanks for your help everyone.

m...

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
I have done a pretty thorough visual inspection. Don't see any bad solder

at
the speaker terminals. No obvious burn marks or smells. I really don't

think
the receiver is worth the effort to fix unless it's something fairly

simple,
which it apparently isn't. I am, however, going to go through the boards

one
more time with a magnifying glass to see if there's something I missed.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Most of the time, a problem like this has no visual indications. A
transistor or cap can be defective without any outward signs of a problem.
Something you might want to try is tapping on the board lighting with the
end of something plastic, like the reverse end of an ink pin, while the amp
is on. See if you hear the noise problem change. A bad solder joint could be
just about anywhere on the board, not just at the speaker connections, and
cause the problem. If you have limited abilities at troubleshooting, then
it's true, you will have to make a judgement call on whether it's worth
repairing or not. But, if your interested in learning more about
electronics, this amp would make a nice place to start.

m...

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sharon Leigh

Thanks, Mike, I will try that. I am trying to learn more about audio
electronics (I haven't touched an oscilloscope or ohmmeter in about eight
years, since my days in computer school), but I fear I don't have the
patience for big problems...

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Thanks, Mike, I will try that. I am trying to learn more about audio
electronics (I haven't touched an oscilloscope or ohmmeter in about eight
years, since my days in computer school), but I fear I don't have the
patience for big problems...

I understand. The one thing in your favor is those old Kenwood amps were
built well. If you decide to give it a go, let us know, and we will try to
help you further...

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

"Jeff" wrote in message

Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best

way
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in
properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sofie

Sharon Leigh:
Don't just toss it yet, what if the service shop repair price is less that
you think ?
If you are not certain how to proceed with the troubleshooting and don't
have the needed equipment and repair experience you probably won't be able
to successfully do the task...... visual observation alone won't be enough.
.....BUT, there are shops out there that specialize in fixing this older
stereo equipment. My shop regularly does this kind of service and we keep
busy doing it........ the problem you describe may not necessarily be a
big deal to repair.... or it could be ???
Do yourself a favor and at least take it into a shop for a repair cost
estimate. Many smaller shops will give you an over-the-counter "rough idea"
what it may cost to fix ...... that is what my shop does with a lot of the
older equipment. A trained tech that has experience with the older
receivers can take a quick listen, make a few quick checks with the meter
and usually come up with a "fairly" accurate evaluation in a short
time....... then, with a repair cost number, you can make an intelligent
repair decision...... but without a repair cost number you would only be
guessing like all of us are now doing on this newsgroup.
My shop sees a fair number of these things that are fairly inexpensive to
repair, so don't throw it out yet, get the facts first.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message news:TEvRa.3600
Thanks, Mike, I will try that. I am trying to learn more about audio
electronics (I haven't touched an oscilloscope or ohmmeter in about eight
years, since my days in computer school), but I fear I don't have the
patience for big problems...

OldguyTeck

If you have access to say one of those guitar amps , dosen't have to be too
fancy or powerfull.. then just make up a probe [be shure to use a blocking
capacitor in series] and probe arround starting from the output... I have
found problems very easily useing this methode..
It's a little easier than useing the ole scope.. But if your good with the
scope.. and inject a tone into the amp of your unit you can find the
distortions easily as well.
Good luck on it...

Ed Oldguyteck

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Thanks, Mike, I will try that. I am trying to learn more about audio
electronics (I haven't touched an oscilloscope or ohmmeter in about eight
years, since my days in computer school), but I fear I don't have the
patience for big problems...

"bigmike" wrote in message
m...
[...]

m...

"Jeff" wrote in message

Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best

way
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in
properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Jeff

Ok, if it has preamp output is it OK?
DC voltage across output when noisy?
Model? (strange the headphone would be OK)
Unless its only distorted/noisy when loaded.
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sharon Leigh

Jeff,

It's a model 2120. It does have a pre-amp output, but I didn't test it. I'm
not really sure what I need to do.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

jakdedert

You need to be able to monitor the output of the pream somehow to see if
it's noisey as well. However, since you stated that the headphone output
was clean (right?), likely the problem is later in the signal chain. If
not, one way to check that output is to record something from it on tape and
listen to the playback on known-good gear. Another way is to hook up a
cheap set of computer speakers there. You will need the a RCA to mini
stereo plug adaptor to do so....

jak

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Jeff

You can remove the Pre-amp out/main in jumpers and
using a known good RCA cable feed the suspect side
to the good channel, if the good channel stays quite then
the problem is in the output section. (right fed to left)
Make sure unit is off and volume is down when making
these connections.
Note: tape out is not feed thru tone sections.
So it must be pre/main RCA connections only.
I do not have the service manual to check.
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Jeff

Not really, the tone section is after preamp but before
amp. It will be connected before pre/main in/out if the
unit has that.
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to
describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

jakdedert

Uh...just what are saying 'not really' to? I'm not following your logic,
although the advice in your next post is sound. I was referring to
monitoring the pre/main jumpers. The idea below of crossing those in/outs
is a much more simple, elegant way to do so, though.

jak

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in

properly.
It's
staticy and garbled.
m...

receiving Channel Five R Electronics 1 September 17th 03 02:11 AM
Static in left channel on vintage Marantz 2240 Receiver Beanie Electronics Repair 2 July 17th 03 12:19 AM
Static Cleaner Fast Eddy Electronics Repair 1 July 15th 03 10:35 AM