Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Would You Trust This Jack Stand?

I'm not looking to start another discussion related to the proper techniques for
jacking up and supporting a vehicle. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam.

My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

Based on the date that this first video was published, I think this is the newest
version of the RennStand.

Video Published on May 10, 2017
https://youtu.be/yqXIrSVQ3ts

The following appears to be an earlier version of the RennStand, based on the
date that the video was published:

Video Published on Oct 13, 2016
https://youtu.be/tfk5UF7rbuM

Maybe it's just me, but both the angled welds and the curved sections of the
support bars seem like dangerous points of failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/17 6:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm not looking to start another discussion related to the proper techniques for
jacking up and supporting a vehicle. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam.

My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

Based on the date that this first video was published, I think this is the newest
version of the RennStand.

Video Published on May 10, 2017
https://youtu.be/yqXIrSVQ3ts

The following appears to be an earlier version of the RennStand, based on the
date that the video was published:

Video Published on Oct 13, 2016
https://youtu.be/tfk5UF7rbuM

Maybe it's just me, but both the angled welds and the curved sections of the
support bars seem like dangerous points of failure.

It would seem stronger without the angles. Also, wouldn't the
jacks be a bit simpler
to make if there was just a 90º angle at each end?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:31:56 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

You are looking at "cheman engineering" - when did simple to
construct win out over elegent design?? (other than the first beetles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:18:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm not looking to start another discussion related to the proper techniques for
jacking up and supporting a vehicle. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam.

My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

Based on the date that this first video was published, I think this is the newest
version of the RennStand.

Video Published on May 10, 2017
https://youtu.be/yqXIrSVQ3ts

The following appears to be an earlier version of the RennStand, based on the
date that the video was published:

Video Published on Oct 13, 2016
https://youtu.be/tfk5UF7rbuM

Maybe it's just me, but both the angled welds and the curved sections of the
support bars seem like dangerous points of failure.

If reasonably built both would be very safe. Poorly built, even the
"best" current designs are dangerous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2017 7:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm not looking to start another discussion related to the proper techniques for
jacking up and supporting a vehicle. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam.

My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

Based on the date that this first video was published, I think this is the newest
version of the RennStand.

Video Published on May 10, 2017
https://youtu.be/yqXIrSVQ3ts

The following appears to be an earlier version of the RennStand, based on the
date that the video was published:

Video Published on Oct 13, 2016
https://youtu.be/tfk5UF7rbuM

Maybe it's just me, but both the angled welds and the curved sections of the
support bars seem like dangerous points of failure.

If I had to compare it to architectural designing, the arch support
entryway is stronger than the basic square (90 degree) entryway. The
same for arch bridges. The weight is distributed more evenly in all
angles than compared to all the weight at the ell angle.

I would use it but I prefer the the conventional jack stands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 9:34:01 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
[...]

But most arch support entryways don't have 4 welds as possible points of
failure. It's not the arch shape that bothers me, it's the welds.

The
same for arch bridges. The weight is distributed more evenly in all
angles than compared to all the weight at the ell angle.

I would use it but I prefer the the conventional jack stands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:49:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Architectural arches are often made of MANY parts - tied together with
lime cement (mortar)
A GOOD weld doesn't scare me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/10/2017 05:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

I'd feel safe but I'd also feel safe with a jack stand that doesn't cost
$140. If you're worried about the welds I'm surprised you're not looking
at the pins and wondering what their shear strength is. Ultimately
that's what is going to hold the weight up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:59:07 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/10/2017 05:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

I'd feel safe but I'd also feel safe with a jack stand that doesn't cost
$140. If you're worried about the welds I'm surprised you're not looking
at the pins and wondering what their shear strength is. Ultimately
that's what is going to hold the weight up.

I don't need to wonder about the shear strength of the pins because the spec
is given in the video.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 03:50:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:59:07 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/10/2017 05:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

I'd feel safe but I'd also feel safe with a jack stand that doesn't cost
$140. If you're worried about the welds I'm surprised you're not looking
at the pins and wondering what their shear strength is. Ultimately
that's what is going to hold the weight up.

I don't need to wonder about the shear strength of the pins because the spec
is given in the video.

And as long as the weld strength excedes the shear strength of the
pins, it is NOT an issue. Generally (proper)welds are as strong or
stronger than the base metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 6:51:04 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:59:07 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 08/10/2017 05:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

I'd feel safe but I'd also feel safe with a jack stand that doesn't cost
$140. If you're worried about the welds I'm surprised you're not looking
at the pins and wondering what their shear strength is. Ultimately
that's what is going to hold the weight up.

I don't need to wonder about the shear strength of the pins because the spec
is given in the video.

When I use Jack stands I put another big piece of I beam or similar wood under there too as a safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote in :

On 08/10/2017 05:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

I'd feel safe but I'd also feel safe with a jack stand that doesn't cost
$140. If you're worried about the welds I'm surprised you're not looking
at the pins and wondering what their shear strength is. Ultimately
that's what is going to hold the weight up.

I disagree. It looks to me like the strength of the contraption depends on the shear strength
of the curved tubes and the sheet metal stampings they fit into. Heavy gauge sheet metal
stampings, to be sure, but they're still sheet metal stampings. And I don't trust their shear
strength.

No way in the world am I crawling under a car supported only by these things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 22:04:01 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

rbowman wrote in :

[...]

Looks like plate steel and tubing to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

i use 4 of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJJZ5NI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:55:36 -0400, Joe wrote:

i use 4 of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJJZ5NI

Wow. The 6000 lb. is cheaper than the 4000 lb. one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

I'm not looking to start another discussion related to the proper techniques for
jacking up and supporting a vehicle. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam.

My question is quite simple: Would you feel safe working under a vehicle that was
supported by either of these jack stands, assuming of course that you stayed
within the 2 ton rating of the device.

Based on the date that this first video was published, I think this is the newest
version of the RennStand.

Video Published on May 10, 2017
https://youtu.be/yqXIrSVQ3ts

The following appears to be an earlier version of the RennStand, based on the
date that the video was published:

Video Published on Oct 13, 2016
https://youtu.be/tfk5UF7rbuM

Maybe it's just me, but both the angled welds and the curved sections of the
support bars seem like dangerous points of failure.

Welds and design look good to me.

--
Tekkie