Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ON TOPIC: Fan only furnace operation

I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:46:15 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

It should have. It's where the green wire hooks up. It will be marked with a "G" which is for the fan relay. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://highperformancehvac.com/ther...g-colors-code/

[8~{} Uncle Fanny Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2017 1:54 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:46:15 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

It should have. It's where the green wire hooks up. It will be marked with a "G" which is for the fan relay. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://highperformancehvac.com/ther...g-colors-code/

[8~{} Uncle Fanny Monster

Thanks. This is a friend's mountain house, so I will look when I get up
there. A good reason for him to hand the key over!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:46:15 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

It should have. It's where the green wire hooks up. It will be marked with a "G" which is for the fan relay. ?(?)?

https://highperformancehvac.com/ther...g-colors-code/

[8~{} Uncle Fanny Monster

Well, wouldn't you know it. I just replaced a theromstat on my heat
pump. The wiring did not exectally match up old to new. I think I
have it correct as the cooling part is working. Won't know for about 3
or 4 months if the heat part works.

I could have used the explination of the letters about 8 hours ago..

I did think to take a pix of the old one and labled the wires with the
old letters.

I copied that web page and will file it with the other heat pump info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:46:12 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

In my first house - a small bungalow - I would block the two main
floor air-returns just lie magazines over them
and open the furnace filter access door - place a spare filter
across the door opening - and run the fan - drawing cooler
basement air through the spare filter rather than the main floor
returns - and circulating it .. not like having air conditioning -
but it helped for the muggy days in July-August ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:04:36 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

If you are handy with electricity, you might consider what me and the guys would do to protect AC units and heat pumps. We would install hard wired surge arresters right on the outside unit and sometimes on the furnace. This all but eliminated blown capacitors and circuit boards especially for our rural customers. A direct hit from lightning will blow up a lot of stuff but the surge arresters we installed did a very good job protecting the HVAC equipment. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei.../dp/B0052DMIUK

https://tinyurl.com/ycwggggj

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/55240-asa

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...ep?pID=G36-492

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...ep?pID=G36-618

[8~{} Uncle Surging Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

On 7/27/2017 13:54, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:46:15 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

It should have. It's where the green wire hooks up. It will be marked with a "G" which is for the fan relay. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://highperformancehvac.com/ther...g-colors-code/

A 60s vintage furnace may not have a fan relay if the fan is controlled
by a thermostat in the heat exchanger. If that's the case you have two
choices: 1 - Add a line voltage switch across the fan thermostat and
control the fan locally, or 2 - add a fan relay with the contacts
shorting the fan thermostat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:42:53 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

wrote:

I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

In my first house - a small bungalow - I would block the two main
floor air-returns just lie magazines over them
and open the furnace filter access door - place a spare filter
across the door opening - and run the fan - drawing cooler
basement air through the spare filter rather than the main floor
returns - and circulating it .. not like having air conditioning -
but it helped for the muggy days in July-August ..
John T.

I did that when I was a kid, but I recall adding a switch to the furnace
in the basement. I loved that basement.

If this doesn't deliver the environmental improvement you are looking
for; a great alternative would be a whole house fan.

Whole house fan might be an alternative, depending on the climate.
If the furnace doesn't support a fan wire, I wouldn't waste much
time trying to rig up something for the furnace. Just moving air
around inside the house isn't going to do much. I have used it
to drop the temp in a house without AC temporarily by running the
fan on a furnace in the basement with the blower door off and
the door to the basement open. It pumps the cool basement air upstairs
and there is a nice effect, but the biggest effect doesn't last,
once the air has exchanged about one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

Sorry I can't help you, but I really like these "ON TOPIC" threads.
Heck, I might learn something.