Default Oil furnace draft test fan off -02 to fan on +01 problem?

I just recently had my heater service company over for a cleaning
and servicing on my oil fired forced hot air system the other day. I
couldn't be present at the cleaning but within 15 minutes I received a
call from the technician saying that the draft reading was bad and he
thought my system should be replaced.

A 'draft test' was done with the -02 fan off and +01 fan on reading
lead the tech to tell me this. This was done before the heater was
either cleaned or serviced in any way. No nozzle change or anything. I
believe that due to scheduling conflicts last year my heater never got
serviced so I feel perhaps this complicated the issue. That plus it was
about 90 degress outside that day, and I think the techinician didn't
want the dirty job of cleaning out the furnace in those conditions.

Should I obtain a second opinion of this?, shouldn't have the
furnace been cleaned first and then readings obtained? The unit is over
25 years old and by rights has passed it's life expectancy but I feel
perhaps the tech may have taken the easy way out being I wasn't there
and he could charge me $65 and walk away without cleaning anything,
then an hour and a half of dirty cleaning and only charging me $125.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The charge for the cleaning doesn't sound that bad. I thibnk the guy was
just trying to sell you a new furnace. Maybe he gets commission for that.
But to be fair (since I wasn't there), I'll make a few points:

Getting a bad draft reading can be caused by several factors. Most of the
time it has something to do with the chimnay and not the furnace. I said
MOST. You can get a different reading on a 90 degree day compared to a 30
degree day. You CAN get a different reading before it's cleaned compared to
AFTER it's cleaned. Now, you can test the draft when the burner first kicks
in and if it changes when the fan kicks in, THAT could mean that you have a
crack in the heat exchanger which CAN lead to something catatsrophic. If
that was the case, he should have told you and then condemned the unit.

Maybe what you need to do is call them back up and explain exactly why they
think you need a new furnace (other than that it is old).

GenesisFan

Thanks very much for you advice, i called the company back and am
waiting for them to call me back now on this.

Dr. Hardcrab

"GenesisFan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks very much for you advice, i called the company back and am
waiting for them to call me back now on this.

Give us an update once they solve the problem (or not)

Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 17th 04 04:31 AM
Repair Service for Test & Measurement Equipment luaurence Electronics Repair 0 September 12th 04 08:01 AM
Furnace problems - repair, replace or ???? Paul Home Repair 11 March 24th 04 12:59 AM
Furnace not turning on Ed Home Repair 8 March 9th 04 04:35 PM
Furnace Room Wiring ? Joe Home Repair 1 July 31st 03 07:48 PM