Joe

Default Furnace Room Wiring ?

furnance by its self --20 amp for the blower , run a light from a near by
light in the basement, lights are mostly 15 amps.
hop this helps

"'nuther Bob" wrote in message
Code question on furnace room wiring:

Is the circuit in a (oil) furnace room dedicated to the furnace
room, or dedicated to the furnace itself ?

I need to install an overhead light. I'm thinking of one of those
bare blub in a socket arrangements. At first I was thinking that
the light should be on another circuit so that you could shut down
the furnace breaker still take advantage of the light (There is a
switch on the box at the furnace itself that the tech uses as well
as the emergency switch on another floor).

Then I thought... what if there is a "fuel" emergency, wouldn't you
want to be able to shut off the entire room's power with one breaker.
And, does the code require this "single breaker shut off" ?

Thanks,
Bob

Gary Tait

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:47:11 GMT, 'nuther Bob
wrote:

Code question on furnace room wiring:

Is the circuit in a (oil) furnace room dedicated to the furnace
room, or dedicated to the furnace itself ?

I need to install an overhead light. I'm thinking of one of those
bare blub in a socket arrangements. At first I was thinking that
the light should be on another circuit so that you could shut down
the furnace breaker still take advantage of the light (There is a
switch on the box at the furnace itself that the tech uses as well
as the emergency switch on another floor).

Then I thought... what if there is a "fuel" emergency, wouldn't you
want to be able to shut off the entire room's power with one breaker.
And, does the code require this "single breaker shut off" ?

Thanks,
Bob

The proper way would be to have the switch that cuts power to the
furnace at the entrance to the room. The light can be tied into
whatever other circuit. As a switch is probably not an acceptable form
of disconnect, and the furnace being a fixed appliance, it requires
it's own breaker.