Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default ON TOPIC: Fan only furnace operation

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:42:53 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:38:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 3:29 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:46:12 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

In my first house - a small bungalow - I would block the two main
floor air-returns just lie magazines over them
and open the furnace filter access door - place a spare filter
across the door opening - and run the fan - drawing cooler
basement air through the spare filter rather than the main floor
returns - and circulating it .. not like having air conditioning -
but it helped for the muggy days in July-August ..
John T.

I did that when I was a kid, but I recall adding a switch to the furnace
in the basement. I loved that basement.

If this doesn't deliver the environmental improvement you are looking
for; a great alternative would be a whole house fan.

Whole house fan might be an alternative, depending on the climate.
If the furnace doesn't support a fan wire, I wouldn't waste much
time trying to rig up something for the furnace. Just moving air
around inside the house isn't going to do much. I have used it
to drop the temp in a house without AC temporarily by running the
fan on a furnace in the basement with the blower door off and
the door to the basement open. It pumps the cool basement air upstairs
and there is a nice effect, but the biggest effect doesn't last,
once the air has exchanged about one.